TSZD2B clutch failure. Any tips on replacement?

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
My wife said her TSDZ2B pedals were slipping intermittently. I tried turning the pedal by hand. Sure enough, it's slipping and I can spin the pedals freely by hand w/o the chain/crank moving. What a POS motor.

That's a clutch fail. I watched the Tong Sheng video.

Guess I need to rig a crank gear puller. They don't talk about putting the new bearing into the crank. It seems I have to buy the bearing and press it in?

Anyone done this?

Last edited:

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I recall reading a post where someone pressed the bearing out of a TSDZ2B gear and a million bearings and springs flew out, so I will buy the whole assembly, It also appears to be only sold as a complete assembly,

Now to decide if I want to get it from pswpower or someone else.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
I recall reading a post where someone pressed the bearing out of a TSDZ2B gear and a million bearings and springs flew out, so I will buy the whole assembly, It also appears to be only sold as a complete assembly,

Now to decide if I want to get it from pswpower or someone else.
I wonder if giving the clutch a good flushing with petrol and then light 3 in one oil would cure the problem as those little bearings and springs could be sticking due to solidified grease or whatever.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Rather then use petrol one could try the Alfine 8 tip when or if the factory grease is thick or sticking.
With the Alfine 8 one would have to dismantle the drive to nearly all it's component parts to get at the hard to get plces where the grease can't be got at, instead the whole drive uni is put into a empty cut down 2ltr fizzy drink bottle and then covered in ATF fluid for a couple of hours to soften the older grease. It is then left overnight to drip dry before being reitted.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
Here's what's going on. Definitely a quirky bearing. .All I have is brake cleaner and penetrating oil. Guess it can't hurt to try a squirt.

When I get the new gear, I will see if I can anchor it above the old rear with five extra long bolts. Then a threaded rod with a washer should make it into a gear puller.