Trek Valencia+

weed

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 8, 2010
Hi every one this is my first post in this great forum.
With my bike to work scheme voucher due to arrive very shortly I had convinced myself that the Wisper 905 City S was the bike for me, but then I found this TREK Valencia+ 2010 :: £1600.00 :: Bikes :: Electric Bikes :: CHEVIN CYCLES Otley UK.“Trek Valencia+” based on the BionX rear hub any comments would be appreciated.
I will be using the bike to commute to work (12 miles round trip) and the occasional woodland cycle track. Straight line speed is more important than hill climbing ability, and I would prefer a light bike that can be used without battery power.
:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi weed, welcome to the forum.

Nice bike and one of the best motor systems around at a reasonable price.

The BionX motors aren't cheap and their batteries are expensive to replace, but the motors have a very good reliability record and their batteries have above average lives.

BionX are made in Canada where these motors are very popular, often used in poor conditions there, so your woodland tracks should cause it no problems.

I rarely say this, it's a bike I'd be happy to own myself, but I have one reservation. They don't show the usual BionX in-frame battery, so make sure it comes with a genuine BionX supplied battery and that it's capacity is big enough for your journey with a comfortable margin to spare.

Last edited:

weed

Feb 8, 2010
Hi Flecc
I prefer the battery on the rack as apposed to the Wisper mounted behind the seat post, I like my e bikes to look like an ordinary bike as much as possible. Just wondering what the difference is between the 250 and 250HT motors.

C

Cyclezee

Welcome Weed,

To keep it simple, Bionx make great kits and Trek make great bikes, so if you put the two together you should get something great.
However the battery PL-250 Light Bionx rack battery Trek use is only 22.2V- LiMn – 6.4 Ah compared the regular frame mounted PL-250 25.9V- LiMn – 10 Ah battery, therfore the Trek will give less power and range than you might get from a kit built bike.
Having said that, you will get a Trek UK warranty on the complete bike which you wouldn't get if you imported a kit and built into your own bike.

Some of these links might help you decide Bicycle Electric Motor kits, convert your bike to electric motor power Bionx - Intelligent Mobility Systems

My Bionx PL350
P1020820.JPG

J:)hn

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, as long as that small battery is a good quality one and sufficient for your needs, that's fine. It as just something to watch out for.

You can find out about the BionX versions, how to choose and lots more on this webpage.

weed

Feb 8, 2010
Thanks for the info that gives me something to think about and puts the Wisper back in the frame. The advantage of the Wisper for me is the throttle and the off road button + the larger battery. But thisTREK T80+ 2010 :: £1800.00 :: Bikes :: Electric Bikes :: CHEVIN CYCLES Otley UK. looks so good 250 watt HT motor and a 40.7V battery. Just wondering if you can pedal the Wisper without the motor assist. I will have to try for test ride of both bikes, problem is no dealer in Hartlepool or the North East.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's no substitute for test rides, especially where the cycling without power qualities need to be judged, so I think it's worth spending time and money doing that.

John Fleet

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2007
Whitley Bay
Not Hartlepool, but I have a 905 SE (2008) model, in Whitley Bay, which you're welcome to have a go on if you can't find an nearer option. I've just ordered a Brompton folder under the Cycle to Work scheme so the Wisper is probably going on offer shortly as it's not really getting enough use and it's a shame for it to just sit in the garage whilst the battery slowly ages...

Elcycoltd

Dec 20, 2009
Lothian
Elcycoltd

We are possibly a bit far from you but we stock both Trek and Wisper. The Valencia+ is not available till later this month but we have a demo of the FX+ (2009) and the T80 which is the 2010 model. We also have a Wisper 905se Sport as a demo bike.
I don't think the the information you have been given on the battery is correct but will check when I go into the Shop tomorrow and will post the details then.

Elcycoltd

Dec 20, 2009
Lothian
Elcycoltd

Having checked the specification on the Valencia+ I can confirm that the battery is 40.7 V 6.4Ah Lithium-ion.The power assist has four power levels giving up to 45 miles on setting 1 (25%assistance).
The motor also has a regenerative mode with four settings to extend the distance per charge.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That certainly looks like the bike for weed, the high power version giving the speed he wants with about enough capacity for his round trip while using the performance.

weed

Feb 8, 2010
Not Hartlepool, but I have a 905 SE (2008) model, in Whitley Bay, which you're welcome to have a go on if you can't find an nearer option. I've just ordered a Brompton folder under the Cycle to Work scheme so the Wisper is probably going on offer shortly as it's not really getting enough use and it's a shame for it to just sit in the garage whilst the battery slowly ages...
Thanks for the kind offer John but I will be using my bike to work scheme voucher so I’m looking for a new bike.:)

weed

Feb 8, 2010
Having checked the specification on the Valencia+ I can confirm that the battery is 40.7 V 6.4Ah Lithium-ion.The power assist has four power levels giving up to 45 miles on setting 1 (25%assistance).
The motor also has a regenerative mode with four settings to extend the distance per charge.
This bike sounds very promising will have to treat the wife to a weekend in Edinburgh and have a test ride (the bike not the wife).

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Does anybody know how the regen work on
the Bionx? Does it work through the brake lever so when you brake you can use it to slow down. This is how a prius works and woul be sensible.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Does anybody know how the regen work on
the Bionx? Does it work through the brake lever so when you brake you can use it to slow down. This is how a prius works and woul be sensible.
On those I've seen, some while ago now though, there's a switch position for the rider to select regeneration for downhills or for when a strong rider wants to put current back in via muscle power. It's not a braking system, it just gets the motor to act as a dynamo instead, so the brake lever application wouldn't be entirely appropriate, though maybe useful at times.

C

Cyclezee

I have mine setup so that regen is activated by pulling the front brake lever. This has the effect of braking front and rear wheels by pulling only one lever.

There are a myriad of settings possible with the Bionx system by programming the console with 4 digit codes. Some of them supposedly secret:eek: but available if you know where to look;)
The Bionx is a sophisticated piece of kit and makes others look crude by comparison, however, some may say more is less, but not me:cool:

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Thanks John I knew I seen that you could do that somewhere.

Elcycoltd

Dec 20, 2009
Lothian
The Bionx system is the same on all three Trek models. Regenerative braking operates when you apply the front brake. You can override this on the control console where you can switch to regenerative mode and you have a choice of four settings. In addition you can see on the console the amount of power being returned to the battery. It is an excellent system, particularly if you live and ride in hilly areas. The fact that you also have four levels of power gives you a high level of assistance on the climbs.
Word from Trek is that the Valencia+ will be available at the end of April, and at £1600 will be a very good buy. The other two models are currently available.

C

Cyclezee

Normaly the Bionx regen setup is operated by the rear brake, but I and apparently Trek think activation via the front brake is the better option. It gives better control that way round.

J:) hn

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
i've tried both font and rear: i find the front brake set up best at it "brakes" both ends - which is better in traffic. on longer rides however, i'd recommend rear brake only with a loose bake /disc brake set up for regen barking down longer hills and where you van do so without heating up your brake (front or rear). make sure you only regen on levels 2-3 out of the 4: 1 does little to regen and increases the risk of spiking the battery.