Trek Electric Bikes 350w ?

C

Cyclezee

Someone told me today that the Trek T80+ which is listed as having a PL-250 HT motor in the UK, is actually 350w? If this is correct, then it is a much more powerful bike but not street legal. The downside of this of course would mean that the range would be less.

All the US models have 350w motor as standard.
Does anyone know if this is correct?

J:) hn

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Someone told me today that the Trek T80+ which is listed as having a PL-250 HT motor in the UK, is actually 350w? If this is correct, then it is a much more powerful bike but not street legal. The downside of this of course would mean that the range would be less.

All the US models have 350w motor as standard.
Does anyone know if this is correct?

Seems from my Aurora bike that if you stay away from high mode then range is similar to 250Watt and to be honest I really only need high when going up a decent hill against the wind or the time and after riding the aurora there is no way I`d buy a powerful bike like that unless there was control over the power in pedelec.

C

Cyclezee

Seems from my Aurora bike that if you stay away from high mode then range is similar to 250Watt and to be honest I really only need high when going up a decent hill against the wind or the time and after riding the aurora there is no way I`d buy a powerful bike like that unless there was control over the power in pedelec.
Dave,

Bionx has one of the most sophisticated pedelec systems available and it can be programmed by the user.

US bikes Trek Bikes | Bikes | Electric Bikes
UK bikes Trek Bikes | Bikes | Electric Bikes
T80+ Trek Bikes | Bikes | Electric Bikes | T80+

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
C

Cyclezee

Hi Aldby

I can confirm that the UK bikes have the PL250 motor for the UK market Treks.

Product Range - BionX - Intelligent Mobility Systems

Somebody must have copied and pasted the specs from the US website when adding the product I suspect.

Best regards

Scott
I think you could well be right about that being an error Scott.

Coincidentally, the person that told me about the PL 250 HT powered Trek T80+ was reffered to me for a Kalkhoff demo.

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
Hi Aldby

I can confirm that the UK bikes have the PL250 motor for the UK market Treks.

Product Range - BionX - Intelligent Mobility Systems

Somebody must have copied and pasted the specs from the US website when adding the product I suspect.

Best regards

Scott
Hello Scott
Don't you think that it's about time that electric bike motors stopped being "rated", it's a bit of a joke to the people who know better, and perhaps the law makers should be educated to this fact?
Griz

electricscott

Just Joined
Aug 6, 2010
if you look at scott's link the 250 HT has exactly the same spec as the 350W both using 36 volts (the PL250 uses 26V). the treks use 36V although it is 6 AH instead of the 10 AH. i suspect to make them comparable to the US versions all othe motors are the HT versions.
mike

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
if you look at scott's link the 250 HT has exactly the same spec as the 350W both using 36 volts (the PL250 uses 26V). the treks use 36V although it is 6 AH instead of the 10 AH. i suspect to make them comparable to the US versions all othe motors are the HT versions.
mike
I think you miss the point, you cannot rate an electric motor that doesn't run at a constant rpm, it's a nonsense. The power a motor produces is governed by the power you feed it and the load, the more you load it the slower it turns and the more power it produces. I'm sure there's someone on the forum who could explain it better than me though.

Griz

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not quite. On our typical hub motors the power output in Watts rises with revs and at around half to two thirds revs the power reaches it's maximum and then starts to decline up to maximum revs.

The torque, which is the pulling force, does the opposite, it starts at maximum at zero revs, but as it reaches the half revs mark it's starting to fall and continues to decline.

It follows that at around about half speed or a little over, the torque is still high and coincides with the motor reaching almost maximum power, and that is the optimum climb speed for the motor, typically around 7 to 9 mph on legal hub motor e-bikes.

The motor efficiency is a different matter, the efficiency rises with revs up to the optimum at about 80 to 90% of revs. In other words, at low speeds up to that hill climb speed point the efficiency is low and consumption very high. From that optimum climb speed onwards the efficiency rises steadily and reaches it's maximum at about 13/14 mph on legal hub motor e-bikes, giving the lowest consumption.

Last edited:

umazooma

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 22, 2011
I agree - the legislation is rubbish - if you put a bosch on the meters it rates at 800 watts at start up so the whole wattage rating argument is ill concieved. There is always a mad power hungry edge to enthusiasts (cars and motorbikes being fine examples) and any legislation will be pushed to its limits but by enforcing the speed capability and paying less attantion to wattage the game gets easier. Apart from anything, the pedelec regime is mostly self regulating because of weight. I really and frankly dont worry about maniacs who want to accelerate upto 25kph - if that's their kick good luck (and get a life).
The difference between a bafang 250 and 350 to my understanding is mostly in the controller - i once checked the part numbers for the US and Euro motors on the bafang site and they had the same one with different power outputs - it makes sense for them. I would like to know which authority actually checks this stuff and how?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I would like to know which authority actually checks this stuff and how?
This post from Jeremy details the applicable legislations.

The EN15194 testing is done by approved laboratories. There are two methods of power testing, the one easier to get through a high peak power being a short, timed acceleration test.

I don't know of any organisation carryig out the SI.1168 test/British Standard testing for the UK's 200 watt EAPC legislation.