Traffic noise while riding.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Perhaps we should ban motorcycle helmets for moped riders then, you certainly can't hear anything behind you when you are flat out at 30mph on a noisy 2 stroke!
I often wear ear buds when cycling but admittedly not in heavy traffic and not very loud when on the road. I can't think of anytime hearing something has allowed me the possibility of avoiding a collision. I don't use mirrors and do look behind regularly. I'm not a novice at this having spent a number of years commuting when my mileage was in excess of 16,000km per annum. I still ride somewhere between 4000 to 6000km per year
As for riding along a country lane etc given that I live in the Alps now I come across more than a few of them. But again there is no appropriate action you can take, if you are riding in prime position and regularly checking behind you should know what is behind you anyway and give more room for a pass you deem it safe to do so. Take ownership of your space and you have far fewer problems.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Does it actually make any difference if you can hear clearly what is behind you? You usually can't do anything about it anyway.

Like asking a blind person with a guide dog if it helps to hear cars coming !

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Perhaps we should ban motorcycle helmets for moped riders then, you certainly can't hear anything behind you when you are flat out at 30mph on a noisy 2 stroke!
I often wear ear buds when cycling but admittedly not in heavy traffic and not very loud when on the road. I can't think of anytime hearing something has allowed me the possibility of avoiding a collision. I don't use mirrors and do look behind regularly. I'm not a novice at this having spent a number of years commuting when my mileage was in excess of 16,000km per annum. I still ride somewhere between 4000 to 6000km per year
As for riding along a country lane etc given that I live in the Alps now I come across more than a few of them. But again there is no appropriate action you can take, if you are riding in prime position and regularly checking behind you should know what is behind you anyway and give more room for a pass you deem it safe to do so. Take ownership of your space and you have far fewer problems.
Well I have mirrors on my bikes and would not ride without them, any motorcycle user knows to keep looking in the mirrors !

Using a mirror especially on narrow lanes and HEARING something coming allows me to move over or stop to allow VERY grateful drivers to pass, and YES I rarely don't get a thank you.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I also use for added peace of MY mind

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Regarding noise when riding.
I've tried bluetooth earbuds but the wind and traffic noise is too much.
Cat ears.
I'm going to make some cat ears and try them and see how that works out. They block the airflow over you ears making thing's quieter.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
That's a pretty smart looking helmet. I might have had one if they were in black.

Oh - they are not in stock around here anyway.

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
Regarding noise when riding.
I've tried bluetooth earbuds but the wind and traffic noise is too much.
Cat ears.
I'm going to make some cat ears and try them and see how that works out. They block the airflow over you ears making thing's quieter.
That's an interesting idea. I thought about making some, but they're only £3.64 inc. VAT and postage on Aliexpress. I've ordered some to try:-

Related Articles

Advertisers