Trade Free Sunday

C

Cyclezee

I have a confession to make, I am not a religious person:eek:

I do however have a proposal to make to keep the forum free from trade members posting for one day per week and that day should be Sunday.

Having been on both sides of the fence, i.e. a regular non trade member and currently a trade member, I can appreciate how some non trade members feel annoyed at the increasing frequency of trade posting and I am as guilty as anyone............if guilty is the correct description.

Should any non trade member want info or a comment from a trade member, they can always send a PM, or simply wait 24 hours.

I am not suggesting that this be compulsory, but it would good to hear views from both sides of the 'fence'.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
From a non religious person my opinion is it makes no difference to me. I shop on any day I choose that suits me if shops are open plus the web never shuts. Post away!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
You are certainly not religious :rolleyes:

At first read John I thought, what a good idea.......but then I thought.....why ?

You are a forum member, you pay your dues, post what you want when you want as far as I am concerned.

Different thing if YOU fancy a day off.....thats up to you.

I know there are grumbles sometimes about too frequent and inappropriate trade posts but I just think thats so unimportant in the greater scheme of life, lets face it, if thats all anyone has to moan about in life they are very lucky people........

Lynda :)

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Personally your free to post when ever you want as long as the post is relevant to the thread and not just a "take a look at my bikes" post and what you are offering has nothing to do with what the thread is about.

Also I have feeling some users will feel a ad free Sunday means they can spam like crazy on the other 6 days.:rolleyes:

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
the trade members are part of the community and there should be no limit on when they post as they may have valuable info which someone could benefit from .......however there are some traders who are giving their own opinions which are often unsubstantiated with facts and blatantly 'knock their competition' as a way of promoting their own products. (the 'buy my bike its better than product x,y,z etc' )
i for one prefer if traders give information on their own products and support forum questions on their own products. they will gain more respect on the forum and this is more likely to result in potential customers looking at their products......
just my opinion of course......
regards

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I just don't understand how some trade members can devote so much of their time to posting on these forums. We're generally so busy in the physical world of e-bikes!

I tend to post in two ways:
When I spot that someone may benefit from looking at our bikes, or when I'm in "Marketing Mode", I add my signature to my post, with its link to our site.
When participating in the discussions as a forum member I don't add my signature.

But it's hard to be perceived as an "ordinary" (no member is ordinary) forum poster when saddled with the "Trade Member" branding at the top of each post.

John, I think your idea is an excellent one. I will try my hardest to just be a forum member on Sundays! Wouldn't it be refreshing to have a trade free Sunday again. Let's tackle Tescos next...

C

Cyclezee

Obviously, I started this thread to gauge opinion and so far there have been some interesting comments.

I look forward to reading some more.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
It does seem that there are efforts in progress to blur the lines between commercial, and the general membership, so any suggestions to redefine the line would be welcome.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm never bothered by trade posts, they can be at any time. And after over 22 years of retirement, I've never any idea what day it is, I have to look at the Radio Times to find out!

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
I like the trade posts and think it would not be a good idea to leave them out, ok they post in their own business interests, but not all the time look at frank banbury he helps anybody out.

Plus they wouldn't be able to reply during a thread so it would lose the flow replying hours later.

Its a good forum and would not like to see any more changes.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
As long as the post is positive to the thread, does it really matter who it is :)
The more help the better.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Speaking as someone who is religious, (there's a surprise for you ) I can go to the Chapel on a Sunday then nip next door to the pub for a pint and on the way home go to Halfords and buy a bike. Next stop would be Tesco's for some shopping.

I don't see why trade members should stop posting on any day. So far I've not been bothered by a trade members posts. There are some traders who post about a bike that I have no interest in buying but I wouldn't want to stop them, it's a free world.

Sunday up here is a normal day, people work, shop and play. Traders can continue to post as far as I'm concerned.

alfie

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2011
I like the comments from trade members. Their interest is openly declared so in some ways their opinion can be better evaluated than a non trade member whose provenance is unknown.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Certainly all the above show once again what we've found in previous discussion on this issue, the membership is overwhelmingly in favour of the trade postings continuing as ever.

Most of the trade members have repeatedly shown willingness to help members experiencing problems, not only with their own products but often for rivals products. This has even extended to supplying parts free of charge on occasions, so I think it would be churlish to discriminate against their membership in the slightest. In general they are a forum asset.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Traders posting is fine by me, as long as what they have to say is relevant and not just a plug for their wares. Then it gets tedious.
There are some forums where some trade members take every and all opportunities to endlessly promote their stuff and all it does is p iss people off.
Mind you, my attitudes were formed in Usenet, where trader spamming is kicked and beaten as roundly as possible. Obviously forums are a different animal, with a different set of access criteria and mostly privately owned, so each forum can set its own rules as to what's acceptable.

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Certainly all the above show once again what we've found in previous discussion on this issue, the membership is overwhelmingly in favour of the trade postings continuing as ever.

Most of the trade members have repeatedly shown willingness to help members experiencing problems, not only with their own products but often for rivals products. This has even extended to supplying parts free of charge on occasions, so I think it would be churlish to discriminate against their membership in the slightest. In general they are a forum asset.
I think that partially true Flecc, although I suspect there are many members like me who over time have grown a bit tired of inappropriate trade posts, so no longer (or less frequently) visit these pages and are consequently no longer here to pass comment.

My own experience revolves around posting a genuine request for information on larger frame ebikes for a taller rider, only to receive many trade replies in response to this plugging completely inappropriate bikes for someone of my height (6'5"). To balance that, I would of course acknowledge that there are many positive comments from trade members that clearly add a great deal to the overall experience of many members here, but for me, I just don't have the appetite to visit / post on these pages much anymore....

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
I am in agreement with that comment, 'cepting if a 'trader' has a valid comment pertaining to another traders product, personally i would also prefer a trade free Sunday from the major retailers.

I must still be able to get my Pint and a wad from the Pub if I am out!!!!
the trade members are part of the community and there should be no limit on when they post as they may have valuable info which someone could benefit from .......however there are some traders who are giving their own opinions which are often unsubstantiated with facts and blatantly 'knock their competition' as a way of promoting their own products. (the 'buy my bike its better than product x,y,z etc' )
i for one prefer if traders give information on their own products and support forum questions on their own products. they will gain more respect on the forum and this is more likely to result in potential customers looking at their products......
just my opinion of course......
regards

andy slow coach

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2012
Hampshire
If a trader wishes to give up their free time to give advice and help on a Sunday or in the evening I think that's a good thing. If I had asked a question or was seeking specific advice on a product I would be happy to receive an answer on a Sunday if it meant I did not have to wait until Monday, could just be the difference between going out for a ride on a Sunday/commute to work Monday and not.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think that partially true Flecc, although I suspect there are many members like me who over time have grown a bit tired of inappropriate trade posts, so no longer (or less frequently) visit these pages and are consequently no longer here to pass comment.

My own experience revolves around posting a genuine request for information on larger frame ebikes for a taller rider, only to receive many trade replies in response to this plugging completely inappropriate bikes for someone of my height (6'5"). To balance that, I would of course acknowledge that there are many positive comments from trade members that clearly add a great deal to the overall experience of many members here, but for me, I just don't have the appetite to visit / post on these pages much anymore....
I'm sorry that you feel that posting restriction Rustic, my comment was based on experience of this subject cropping up a number of times over the years, and on every occasion those in favour of the trade posts were the great majority. However, what I have also noticed is that those against them feel very strongly about it, for example member Jeremy who for that and other reasons doesn't post currently. I can't know why they feel strongly, but it's obviously impossible to cater for both views so the majority view tends to be adopted.

It also has to be born in mind that the site has to be funded by the trade, we as private members pay nothing for a facility most of us enjoy. That is true everywhere on the web of course, go into YouTube and every video starts with an advert for example. In contrast, most threads in here either don't have any trade posts in them or hardly any, trade posts mainly confined to threads where someone is looking for what e-bike to buy. Surely having a range of e-bikes suggested to them there is helpful?