Torq II?

Quicken

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2006
Any chance of this happening this year? What do people think? The original has been out for a while now..

Cheers,
Q

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
nigel

BY quicken
Any chance of this happening this year? What do people think? The original has been out for a while now..
hold your horses i still trying to get the first one i expect their will be one in the pipeline later on. why are fed with your torq already:) nigel

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you mean replacement of the present model, I would think it doubtful since it has been continually evolving. The current bike has various small differences improving it from the original and the demand for it remains high. I'd expect the evolutional improvement to continue.

After all, it's become quite an icon in the electric biking world, it's fame spreading far beyond the places where it's available. In short, it's unique.

Quicken

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2006
hold your horses i still trying to get the first one i expect their will be one in the pipeline later on. why are fed with your torq already:) nigel
No, I don't have one. Just wondered what people thought.

Cheers,
Q

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, I don't have one. Just wondered what people thought.

Cheers,
Q
That underlines what I said above. No other electric bike (except perhaps the old Twist) gets spoken about, even by non-owners, as much as the Torq.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London

Cheers,
Q
What would you like to see in the Torq II?

Last edited:

Quicken

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2006
What would you like to see in the Torq II?
Well top of the shopping list would be lower weight I think. If you could get the whole bike with battery in under 20kg, that would be awesome. The new Powacycles are coming in at 22kg, so it looks like it should be possible. After that, well a big price drop would be lovely. ;) :D

Cheers,
Q

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Judging by previous inputs, whether by Torq II or upgrade, something that would be popular and stir up no end of attention would be a front disc brake. Probably have to be like the Heinzmann adaptation, very large diameter to keep heat away from the hub, but would look all the more impressive as a result.

And of course that perennial warcry, "better batteries, longer range!"

I believe eZee are looking at both those areas, so no need for any pigs to take off. :)

Carl

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2006
'lower price' and 'front disc' that actually works don't really go together!
Cable operated discs are just not really worth having. They are getting better than they used to be, but still not really any better than a decent set of V-brakes. The only way to go would be hydraulic discs, which add quite a bit of price and complication, being not very easily user-servicable.
A good set of V-brakes with good pads, well set up, have very good stopping power and are lighter, easier to maintain and a lot cheaper than hydraulic discs!
Just my opinion, but a good set of well set up V's are few and far between, so people choose discs thinking they are loads better when they are not necessarily!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
'lower price' and 'front disc' that actually works don't really go together!
Cable operated discs are just not really worth having. They are getting better than they used to be, but still not really any better than a decent set of V-brakes. The only way to go would be hydraulic discs, which add quite a bit of price and complication, being not very easily user-servicable.
A good set of V-brakes with good pads, well set up, have very good stopping power and are lighter, easier to maintain and a lot cheaper than hydraulic discs!
Just my opinion, but a good set of well set up V's are few and far between, so people choose discs thinking they are loads better when they are not necessarily!
My opinion too Carl, expressed in here a number of times. My comment above was reflecting what others have frequently asked for in here.

I don't think any of the motor cycle/car technologies readily translate onto bikes, the weight restrictions compromising designs.

But fashion prevails over common sense, and we only have to look at the ridiculously heavy full suspension knobbly tyred mountain bikes the kids (and some adults) ride to see that.

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
My own requests for a Torq II/update:

- Throttle than can be kept at the chosen cruising speed. It can get a bit tiring over particularly bumpy roads and on long journeys.

- Lighter weight if possible. Maybe an 'extreme' version with carbon fibre materials :D (Understandably more expensive though!)

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
LOL! I knew you would add that :D

Another nice-to-have: Ability to have a smaller 'back-up' battery which could be placed on the rack. Obviously a waterproof connection point would have to be on the bike somewhere plus the main switch would need to be modified to
'Unlock', 'Off' 'On' 'Reserve' to save complicated electronics to deal with two batteries connected at the same time. I would see it working a bit like a reserve on a motorcycle i.e. the power dies and then you flick the switch. Thankfully with the lower speeds this should avoid a problem which happened to me a few times on a motorbike - overtaking a HGV only for the main supply to run out :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Given that the eZee Li-ion battery is safe, with that there could be an electronic solution. A division of the cut-off voltage. In other words, the controller could have one set cut-off voltage for normal use, and a switch override to lower it to get some extra miles. Thus, main and reserve at virtually no extra cost.

Saves the weight and cost of the second battery.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Yep definitely a good solution there. I would probably still like the option of a smaller second battery though for those occasions where I feel I might need it. All other times, the battery could be left at home to save some weight.

An alternative to this solution: Bike Lift 'Trampe' Stimulates Cycling (TreeHugger) :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, nice idea! I'd often thought of a cable ski lift style to help cyclists. Around my area there's about 150,000 population who need to travel into Croydon for work, commuting or shopping, but a big steep North Downs ridge in the way. It's the one deterent to what would otherwise be an easy and pleasant four mile ride, so one of those each side would do the trick.

There was a huge opportunity missed though. When the trams were put in, the original intention was to make a "cut and cover" tunnel at the top to flatten out the hill. This would have been a great chance to include a cycle track alongside, but in the end they went for the cheap option of a steeper climb off the road for the trams. So 36 ton trams will forever use far more energy than would have been needed every time they climb both sides.

So much for climate change awareness.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
nigel

Hi guys
for me the most important thing would be to bring the weight down below 20 kilos for the torq then there would be no need to have disc brakes which i think are not needed on a bike below 20 kilos. nigel.

Jason

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 21, 2007
Battery reserve

There's absolutely no point in any form of battery reserve. You can pedal home if you need to (unlike a motorcycle...I had to push my CBR600 5 miles through the Jura mountains having run out of juice). The 3 major areas are clearly: better batteries, lower weight and styling. The style of most pedelecs is a bit depressing, and some with the best style are either not in production (!) or have the least performance. Incidentally, hydraulic disc brakes are simple, powerful, reasonably lightweight, self adjusting by their nature, cheap when made in China and stylish. What's wrong with that?

Jason

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hi guys
for me the most important thing would be to bring the weight down below 20 kilos for the torq then there would be no need to have disc brakes which i think are not needed on a bike below 20 kilos. nigel.
How much do you weigh, Nigel? ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
hydraulic disc brakes are simple, powerful, reasonably lightweight, self adjusting by their nature, cheap when made in China and stylish. What's wrong with that?

Jason
For weight saving reasons the discs are flimsy and therefore easily buckled, any accident or vandal can make the wheel impossible to rotate without removing the caliper. That's one of the things I meant when I said these technologies don't transfer well for weight reasons.

No argument on self-adjust, style and cheapness, but as Carl remarked, V brakes also do the job. Which do you see in the Tour de France? There's good reasons for that.