Tonaro Compy climbs 1 in 4.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have read dozens of reviews on bikes but one of the biggest details missing from the reviews are details of the rider themselves. That must surely play a big part on how the bike performs.
Fully agreed Steve, the most important thing is always missed, except in my review of the Kalkhoff Agattu. Scroll half way down on the following link and you'll see my included details before the riding test sections:

Kalkhoff Agattu review and test

dellpitch

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2008
I have had my Compy delivered to-day, put it together but not as yet gone out for a ride.
On reading the paperwork sent with the bike, all Tonaro cycles are tested using a 24V/8AH battery version, presumably that which is supplied to the home market in China!

Will post my thoughts when I have had a few miles of what I am sure is going to be enjoyable riding.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Great report

Flecc,

I have just read your reports on your bike and it was a job well done. You cannot get any more detailed than that.

But you are riding all over the Downs and we don`t get one photo of them. As an ex-pat it is nice to see photos of the homeland. Of course visiting the homeland is a totally different matter :) I prefer Italy.

Dellpitch, I am looking forward to your thoughts on the Torano . Phil must be run off his feet at the moment with all this business. If mine works out ok I could be ordering 2 more for Denmark.

Steve

Steve

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Just to provide a bit more detail to my previous post. I am 100kg but reasonably fit and cycle quite a bit. On my throttle only conversion with 6.5Ah battery my range is 15-20 miles on a hilly commute. I use two batteries to get the work (22 miles away). On the flat Tarka Trail (mentioned in another thread) which I often use (Torrington to Barnstaple) my range is unlimited as I don't use the throttle - I just use it to get back to my house which is quite high up. My hub kit is great with hills less than 10% but really struggles with anything much steeper. That's why I thought I'd give the Tonaro a go. The 23 mile range of the Tonaro that I quoted was over similar terrain as my commute (not the exact same route) but I had the assist on all the time - although I was putting in the same effort as normal. Given this information it doesn't seem to me that the Tonaro motor is any more efficient in battery usage (in my case) than my hub motor. With working gears I'm sure it will conquer the 20% hills we have round here but as I said previously I couldn't confirm that on my ride. I agree Phil at South Molton is a nice guy who couldn't have been more helpful.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc,

I have just read your reports on your bike and it was a job well done. You cannot get any more detailed than that.

But you are riding all over the Downs and we don`t get one photo of them. As an ex-pat it is nice to see photos of the homeland.
I wanted just for once to include every detail that could affect a bike in a review, but didn't think a travelogue aspect would add much in what was already a very long article. However, when I included the links originally, Sanoodi had a better range of features than it has now, so it has lost a little in that respect.

Also one problem was that it was winter and dull, not the best time photogenically.