Tom's BEAST - 9,000 watt DH Bike

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Haha - there we go. Did you spill you Ovaltine when opening this thread?
Thats very presumptuous of you amigafan2003. I was only trying to help the new member find somewhere to discuss his impressive new moped.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
For my two penneth that just looks plain crazy. I have just opted for the motorcycle route due to steep hills. I am happy to tootle along within the speed limits. Even with a much heavier machine sitting underneath me and as such being far more inherently stable, it has taken me a few miles before I have begun to feel more confident. Perhaps it is age but previously I have had extreme sports capable of in excess of 150 mph and thought nothing of the high speeds.

Having been cycling and now back on a motorcycle the thought of exceeding 40mph on a push bike would seem to be a recipe for disaster. The high speed in the video on the football pitches was fine. Good line of sight and no risk to man or beast, except the rider himself. However the speeds on the path were just madness and put not only his own life at risk. The thought of one of my grandchildren riding or running into his path does not bear thinking about. He clearly was not in any meaningful control of the bike and was being totally reckless and negligent to the safety of others.

I think that the current 15mph speed limit is too low. I would propose a 25mph limit but would be happy with higher torque and lower speeds. This machine would surely draw all the wrong Police attention and I would think rightly so.

I note with interest the recently locked thread about Police prosecutions. I am guessing these are following serious RTA's where you have the rarity of a 'Traffic Police Officer' investigating. This is normally only reserved for fatal accidents. Of course nowadays 'RTA' has been replaced by 'RTC' in the Police jargon as collision has replaced accident.

In reality the chance of the average rider getting stopped and prosecuted for having a 'marginally' overpowered electric bycycle is virtually zero.

Let all of those that have never exceeded the speed limit in a car or on a motorbike please shoot me down.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Giant frames are strong but for a 60mph bike?
I suppose it depends more on the road surface quality than the speed. A number of us hit up to 50 mph* downhill and over 60 mph downhill is the norm in Tour de France alpine downhills. The fastest recumbents hit 75 mph downhill with bike wheels and components, so there's plenty of precedent.

The real problem is with potholes and the like, usually at very much lower speeds. Personally I'd rather skim across the top of a pothole at 60 mph than drop the front wheel in at 12 mph!

* We have an informal 50 mph club.

Last edited:

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
I ride my storck fascenario at over 50mph on dh roads.
But it weighs less than 15pounds . My issue is the weight of the controller , motor, battery and mechanical add ons . Not sure what the beast weighs but the force on the triangle will be excessive .
I have seen many frames crack. Intense, Santa cruz , giant , trek.
I have snapped a pair of forks on a colnago road bike, at less than 30mph .

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Thats very presumptuous of you amigafan2003. I was only trying to help the new member find somewhere to discuss his impressive new moped.
I think here will be fine - it clearly is an ebike although one outside the uks legislation.

Of course he'll probably get a better response on a more liberal forum, such as endless sphere*

*he does have a thread on es and its a good read.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Does look like it could stand plenty of abuse, there's light motorbikes with flimsier frames than that!

lost_track

Just Joined
Apr 9, 2012
London, UK
Wow, 4 pages of replies since this morning!

I had no idea this forum was so frequented by eager eBikers. That's a really nice sign, a developing and enthusiastic community :)

It's certainly a marmite style opinion splitter...my housemate wants to know why I didn't buy a motorbike, and I certainly can't use it on my commute to work - (I could limit the amps to reach 250 watt, but this would slow me down so much, it would take me far longer than my 15 minute daily cycle...which isn't speed limited!). It's a bike that doesn't really fit into a target use - I can't commute on it, I can't do long distance rides, and I can't really go dirt jumping...yet - the throttle is hard to handle with this much power in its current setup. So.....

The bike was primarily built for fun, a project to challenge me. I've no electrical background (in fact, I'm petrified of getting zapped!) and am a musician/composer by trade. It took several months and countless headaches and sacrificed weekends, but I'm finally at a stage where it's enjoyable and I wanted to share that with everyone.

I'm a careful, responsible rider, I think this comes from 2 years of commuting on London roads on my specialized road bike. I've edited those bits from the video as they're just not exciting to watch!
I know if I took this to work it'd get stolen in a heartbeat... So this is for off-road use, away from people, and in the woods for fun.

Now I think I've explained myself...:)

I played with using a toughened Planet X dirt jumping frame, but riding across a field at 30mph, the bumps almost tear you off the bike, and this is with plush world-cup winning suspension! If you saw the terrain these bikes are designed for you wouldn't worry. I completely flipped the naked bike over doing some jumps before I attached the kit, and it just shrugged it off.

I've taken it to downhill courses, it's just phenomenal riding them backwards, railing around berms, uphill at 25mph! You really have to hold on!

A few friends have ridden it, absolutely love it - but are a bit scared of the throttle. Understandably as it can flip you over if you don't respect it.

As an aside (and another possible marmite opinion splitting moment), I think the price of off-the shelf eBikes is awful, and the performance is a joke. Electric power is quite clearly the future, so I hope the beauracratic movements can keep up with consumer demand so that more people get to enjoy electric power. As long as you up-your safety requirements with the increased responsibility.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As an aside (and another possible marmite opinion splitting moment), I think the price of off-the shelf eBikes is awful, and the performance is a joke. Electric power is quite clearly the future, so I hope the beauracratic movements can keep up with consumer demand so that more people get to enjoy electric power. As long as you up-your safety requirements with the increased responsibility.
Thanks for the feedback lost_track. There's some excuse for e-bike prices in the UK, it's largely due to the tiny market here, but on mainland Europe where sales are very high, there is no excuse, other than that they are cashing in on a boom.

It's not good news on power though. The European Parliament have recommended to the EU Commission that power limits be removed, leaving only the assist speed limit. But for the UK it's no hope it seems. The DfT have indicated that they will shortly fully legalise the long used 250 watts, but are set firmly against adopting any further EU power increases.

So you'll still be flying the Jolly Roger for the foreseeable future.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I really don't care what people want to ride, its up to them. If they choose to ride power machines on pedestrian paths or anywhere without taking the appropriate saftey measures, then either the law or natural selection will get them. I can also see the the potential risk it may pose to others.

Clearly lost_track is not in this category and I can see how much fun/ a challenge this bike would be to build and how many would enjoy riding it safely in the right environment. I also enjoy reading about the tecnical aspects of bikes like this.

The whole legal/illigal aspect is getting rather repetitive and tedious on this forum though. Then again me posting this is probably just adding to it lol

For me personally, assistance up to 15mph is more than I need on my daily cross Cambridge commute.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Nice build, well executed.
Much nicer and more fun than taking an off road motorbike out and distrubing the peace.

Really good design. May it bring hours of hooning!

lost_track

Just Joined
Apr 9, 2012
London, UK
I really don't care what people want to ride, its up to them. If they choose to ride power machines on pedestrian paths or anywhere without taking the appropriate saftey measures, then either the law or natural selection will get them. I can also see the the potential risk it may pose to others.

Clearly lost_track is not in this category and I can see how much fun/ a challenge this bike would be to build and how many would enjoy riding it safely in the right environment. I also enjoy reading about the tecnical aspects of bikes like this.

The whole legal/illigal aspect is getting rather repetitive and tedious on this forum though. Then again me posting this is probably just adding to it lol

For me personally, assistance up to 15mph is more than I need on my daily cross Cambridge commute.

Regards

Jerry
Yes, I see someone has added the "illegal" tag to this post, wonderful!

There is a throttle feedback facility in place I can limit the power to legal limits - physically not making it possible to go over 250 watts, but I guess as soon as anyone sees the thread title they'll get a bit blinkered.

Plus, you look like a tit riding this with a full face helmet and goggles, while being overtaken by leaves whisked by a gust of wind:)

If I want to ride fast on the road, I'll get my lycras on

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
So what is the top speed on the flat ? And weight of the bike.
Interesting if it's as quick as the stealth bomber.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
The bike was primarily built for fun, a project to challenge me.
I can certainly appreciate that - I built a Westfield for similar reasons - not to provide a car to commute in :)