Tom's BEAST - 9,000 watt DH Bike

lost_track

Just Joined
Apr 9, 2012
London, UK
Happy Easter all :)

First post - regular on Endless Sphere, but first time on here.

This is my first build.

Priorities
Strong, good looking, tarmac shredding acceleration, great brakes, range of around 15 miles without trying to economise, room to expand. Burnouts a plus!

I decided on something really fun to ride - an RC kit (lighter (fewer batteries necessary), better weight distribution, smaller controller, lower (safer) voltage & I actually like the sound they make)

Spec:

• 2003 Giant DH Comp with Fox 40s and Hayes 8" strokers and Magura Gustav M rear. 8" travel front and back.
  • 12S3P Turnigy Lipo (courtesy of Jozztek) @ 50.4V
  • Shumaker DaVinci drive / Astro 3220 4 Turn WYE motor (courtesy of Matt Shumaker)
  • Castle Creations HV160 (rev 2)
  • Custom carbon fibre enclosure (courtesy of MOS furniture)
  • Hyperion 1420i, 1KW Variable Voltage / Amperage PSU
  • Cycle Analyst, Magura throttle, temperature gauges etc.
  • Custom built drivetrain using BMX freewheels, Surly tensioners, custom springs, frame mounts...etc.
  • Custom designed laser cut chainring with keeper plates (thanks BobC)

This hasn't been a cheap build, in time or in effort - I estimate around £4.5k - alot in wasted/un-needed/broken parts. Started in November, thought I'd have it finished in December, it's finally rideable now and it's April.

(Any way to get these pictures larger?)
beast.jpg
This is the naked bike

beef-small.jpg
This is the bike today

IMG_1423.jpg
In the snow!

IMG_1425.jpg
Snow 2

dash-small.jpg
The sort of power it's capable of. These are peak values, off road of course.
250*50=12,500 watts. Most of the hard acceleration only gets to 5-6kW, every possible setting is dialled down to the minimum at the moment.

batts800.jpg
I am battery phobic and hate wiring, have never soldered. This was a learning process!

business end.jpg
The business end

side view.jpg

68 tooth.jpg
CAD Laser cut stainless chainring.

caboning800.jpg
In the workshop doing the carbon fibre. First time for both of us

bike - 2 new jockey wheels.jpg
Ground down BMX freewheels. Super hard steel, much better than jockey wheels from derailleurs

VIDEO
[video=youtube;g42AJV8_iqc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g42AJV8_iqc[/video] This weekend's outing.

Full build log hereEndless-sphere.com • View topic - Tom's BEAST [carbon box & new videos]

Attachments

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
That's an excellent build - thanks for posting. Love the custom carbon fibre - I've tried it but I never seen to get the resin mix right.

You'll have fun here posting a 9kw bike - you'll soon be wishing you stayed on endless sphere ;) The do gooders will be along shortly saying it's not an ebike I imagine.

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
:D Excellent!.....I'll get the pop corn!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nice creative build. As you'll have gathered from the above posts we don't see many like this. Most here are concerned with commuting and the like, and I doubt you commute into central London on "The Beast"! :D

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
But where can you use it?

Most council footpaths ban motor cycles.
You can only go 15 yards on to common land unless to save life or fight fire.
It is alright to glibly talk about 'Off road', but unless you are a landowner or have permission from a landowner, there is no such place.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hello. Welcome.

I think that you meant to post your information here:

The Buzzing Forum This forum has some useful links to insurance companies who will provide you with a competitive quote, and it also has info regarding how to register your moped for use on a road. I hope this helps.

If you have anything to say about electric bicycles, we will be very interested to hear about it.

Last edited:

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Love it.Amazing bike. Shows what is possible when you think outside the box. Without people pushing boundaries and trying new things little progress would have been made in the world and it would be a very different place today.

And yeah.. get the popcorn. Thought of posting this thread on here:

The Art of Trolling: Yahoo Answers, Chatroullette, Omegle

but it would be too subtle dont think many would get it :)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
But where can you use it?

Most council footpaths ban motor cycles.
You can only go 15 yards on to common land unless to save life or fight fire.
It is alright to glibly talk about 'Off road', but unless you are a landowner or have permission from a landowner, there is no such place.
Use it anywhere you like, who is gonna catch you??? ;)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Well, I loved the acceleration shown in the vid and the bike itself is amazing.......well done on building such an exciting bike.......even a total non-techie like me really enjoyed seeing that.

Lets not just ' presume' where it is going to be used and just admire the skill and hard work behind the build.

My first thoughts when seeing and reading this post I will keep to myself for now and see if the thinking behind the posting really does " bear fruition " and gets the reaction an old psychic like me is thinking is behind it ........it could well be worth it :D

Or maybe I've been watching too much of "Homeland" or "The Killing" and my mind really IS now too warped for my own good.....but, hey, I do hope I am right .......I usually am ! :D :D

Lynda :)

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
We need a separate section for the old hens to sit around drinking tea and saying stuff like ' eee did u see him, hes got go faster stripes on.' aye its not on, not natural, should be stopped, where's a bobby when you need one'.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Or maybe I've been watching too much of "Homeland" or "The Killing" and my mind really IS now too warped for my own good.....but, hey, I do hope I am right .......I usually am ! :D :D

Lynda :)
You need to get out on your bike more, Lynda ;)

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
Fantastic love it but, would be far too twitchy for my land and paths. That's why I went for a lower powered bike. My mx bikes were far to cumbersome to negotiate the trails. This looks similar.
Cool build though.
Put a barclays boris sticker on it, probably as heavy :) London police will not notice .

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I was wondering what are the top end speeds are on the flat ?

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
On a 2003 giant frame , top speed would be the least of my worries. My shower is 9kw, I have a pull cord on that to turn it off. Wonder what Tom uses? probably one of them kill switches off austin powers gold member. "Captain I cannot shutdown the Dilithium crystals , she is breaking up "

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Hello. Welcome.

I think that you meant to post your information here:

The Buzzing Forum This forum has some useful links to insurance companies who will provide you with a competitive quote, and it also has info regarding how to register your moped for use on a road. I hope this helps.

If you have anything to say about electric bicycles, we will be very interested to hear about it.
Haha - there we go. Did you spill you Ovaltine when opening this thread?

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Tread carefully folks, any attempts to turn this into another flaming war will result in a ban.