Throwing the chain???

Exuptoy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 25, 2024
Guys, anyone have any idea why my Carrera Vulcan-E would be throwing a chain when under load? Static it’s fine and the free wheel function of the rear sprocket works as it should, however, whether the rear hub is switched on or off, if I am going down hill without pedalling it seems as though the rear sprocket feeds slack chain behind the front chain wheel and the next time you pedal it comes off at the front.
I’m fed up of having to stop and I’m full of oil when I get home.
Chain hasn’t stretched, confirmed with a chain gauge.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Is there enough tension in the derailleur arm and is the chain line correct?

Are the teeth on the sprockets worn out?

Exuptoy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 25, 2024
Sprockets are all good, I have wondered about the derailleur as it seems as though the rear of it is twisted to the right. Wasn’t sure if it was meant to be that shape?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Slack in the upper chain run indicates free wheel not as good as it should be.

• Agree
Reactions: Exuptoy and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
it seems as though the rear sprocket feeds slack chain behind the front chain wheel and the next time you pedal it comes off at the front.
That is what it is doing, and the cause is commonly a build up of soiling betwen the rear of the largest sprocket and the rear hub, causing the rotating hub to drag the freewheel along with it.

Reactions: Exuptoy

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It very simple and the fix is simple too. Your free-hub is sticking, either because it has dirt behind it or it lacks lubrication. Get as much 3-in-One oil as you can into the actual free-hub. You have to take the wheel off for that so that you can get the oil into the axle. You also need to get some in down the back side of the free-hub. There's a seal on the axle, so you need to give the oil plenty of time and help to get past.

Reactions: Exuptoy

Advertisers