This is a question for the knowledgeable EBike Bafang BBS01B owners.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
This is a question for the knowledgeable EBike Bafang BBS01B owners.

I have two bikes with this motor and the same display.

They have both been set up differently, not by intent. Just that the fitter/supplier fitted it, set it up and they are both different.
One is faster, and more powerful in the gears and power settings than the other.

e.g for one at power level one in GEAR 2 of 8 the other to be "similar" would have to be on power setting four

My question is that I have a laptop, the lead see image, what do I need to do, to "look" at the settings on the "in my opinion" better set bike, to note the settings and do the same on the other bike.

Software download ?

Many thanks.

display.jpgpc lead.jpgpc lead.jpg

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
OK - When I was setting out on this task, Guerney pointed me to this web page which has a configurator for the Bafang BS01 series.

Here is the link to the page which will allow you to query and change settings:

1. Load up that page on your laptop.
2. Switch off your battery
3. Take the cable from the LCD screen , find the julet connector for that lead near the screen and pull the plug apart. It needs a bit of a fiddle to get them apart. The inside of the plug will be green, like the cable end you are going to plug in.
4. Carefully align the plug and cable (it has arrows on each end) and push them together taking care not to mess up the pins by misaligning the two plugs.
5. switch on the battery. Your USB cable has a red led which should light up.
6. plug usb cable into your usb socket on laptop.

Now the test

If your laptop has the right drivers on it, you should find that when you try on the laptop to 'open the serial port' - top left of the page, you will see a drop down menu and the bottom option will be USB.

Hopefully this will open and you will be able to connect and the web page will say you are connected.

If you don't have the right drivers it won't connect and you will need to look for them and install them. Mine worked without any issue, but my device is a chromebook.

Once connected, you should 'READ ALL' which will load all settings. You can then compare the settings on the other bike if you save a screen shot on one and then open the link on the other and compare.

When you make any changes in a particular tab on the configurator, BE SURE TO USE THE SAVE OPTION IN THAT SECTION OF THE CONFIGURATOR.

People report failure to save some features when they use the overall save feature at the top of the configuration page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saracen

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
The most important ideas I have learned by tuning my bike to work for me are as follows:

Don't raise the MAX current too far. Mine came set to 15 AMPS and I raised it a bit to 18 AMPS , but returned it to 15 AMPS because I think that gives the controller and battery an easier time.

Don't change things you don't understand and mess up the settings.

In the BASIC tab, my system was VERY conservatively set up. I found real improvements by doing the following changes:

In the right hand column of the BASIC Tab I set all speed settings to 100% in all PAS levels 1-9.
That means that the bike will assist to 15.6 miles an hour rather than cutting off early in the low PAS levels.
In the left hand column of the Basic tab I wrote in a variety of settings from 0% amps in PAS 0 to 100% of amps in level 9. In PAS 2 mine is now set at 20% of available ampps (20% of 15 amps max) increasing bit by bit up through the levels. This works really well fro me. I generally leave it in PAS2 when cycling on teh flat and it uses only about 80 - 100 watts. If I am in PAS9, I can see nearly 500 watts on my lcd and the bike climbs strongly.

Another good change was to raise the KEEP CURRENT which is set in the Pedal Assist tab. Mine from the dealer was set at 20%. I now have it at 80%. Some people suggest 100% is good, but it will eat more battery. KEEP CURRENT is the factor which controls what the controller does when you reach a steady speed of pedalling. Set at 80%, what happens is that as you reach a steady speed, the controller backs off to 80% of the amount you set in the PAS level tab (above). I like it at that level. It is far more pleasnt to ride as I now have it set.

Don't raise the start current above about 20%

This feature gives the motor and controller a soft start when the motor is stationary. If you suddenly shove 15 amps into it while the motor is stopped, you can burn out the controller. Set at 20%, you only push 20% of 15 amps into the motor when you start off from standstill. I think my controller has Start Current at 15%. More gentle acceleration, but less strain on the controller and motor and transmission.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My question is that I have a laptop, the lead see image, what do I need to do, to "look" at the settings on the "in my opinion" better set bike, to note the settings and do the same on the other bike.

Software download ?
Apparently some BBS01B controllers can't be written to, only read:

https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/threads/bafang-bbs01-can-read-but-not-write-flash.98623/post-1815144

"Manufacturer: HZXT
Model: SZZ9
Hardware ver: V1.1
Firmware ver: V2.2.1.1
Nominal voltage: 36V
Max current: 20A

The controllers that seem to be write protected have these details, the same as the original poster:
Manufacturer: SZBF
Model: 209E
Hardware ver: V5.1
Firmware ver: VS.0.1.A

Max current: 14A"

Bear in mind your warranty is probably void if you make firmware changes (or admit to it). Weird things can happen sometimes with firmware updates to any device, and there is the risk of magically transforming your controller into a brick.

Here's a guide regarding the parameters, heed any warnings contained therein:

https://edrivenet.com/bafang-programming/

Lately, rather than muck about with Windows COM ports using Penoff's configurator...

https://penoff.me/2016/01/13/e-bike-conversion-software/

...I've been using the Speeed App:

@Ghost1951 used this web based configurator via Chromebook:

https://devnotes.kymatica.com/BafangWebConfig/BafangWebCfg.html

Take note of or save your original settings - in fact, I'd be interested to see how they're different to my factory settings.

In your case, you should be able to read settings from your preferred bike, and write those settings to your crap performing bike using the saved configuration file, then make the change for wheel size if needed.

Last edited:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
OK - When I was setting out on this task, Guerney pointed me to this web page which has a configurator for the Bafang BS01 series.

Here is the link to the page which will allow you to query and change settings:

1. Load up that page on your laptop.
2. Switch off your battery
3. Take the cable from the LCD screen , find the julet connector for that lead near the screen and pull the plug apart. It needs a bit of a fiddle to get them apart. The inside of the plug will be green, like the cable end you are going to plug in.
4. Carefully align the plug and cable (it has arrows on each end) and push them together taking care not to mess up the pins by misaligning the two plugs.
5. switch on the battery. Your USB cable has a red led which should light up.
6. plug usb cable into your usb socket on laptop.

Now the test

If your laptop has the right drivers on it, you should find that when you try on the laptop to 'open the serial port' - top left of the page, you will see a drop down menu and the bottom option will be USB.

Hopefully this will open and you will be able to connect and the web page will say you are connected.

If you don't have the right drivers it won't connect and you will need to look for them and install them. Mine worked without any issue, but my device is a chromebook.

Once connected, you should 'READ ALL' which will load all settings. You can then compare the settings on the other bike if you save a screen shot on one and then open the link on the other and compare.

When you make any changes in a particular tab on the configurator, BE SURE TO USE THE SAVE OPTION IN THAT SECTION OF THE CONFIGURATOR.

People report failure to save some features when they use the overall save feature at the top of the configuration page.

Thank you PRINTED off

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Apparently some BBS01B controllers can't be written to, only read:

https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/threads/bafang-bbs01-can-read-but-not-write-flash.98623/post-1815144

"Manufacturer: HZXT
Model: SZZ9
Hardware ver: V1.1
Firmware ver: V2.2.1.1
Max current: 20A

The controllers that seem to be write protected have these details, the same as the original poster:
Manufacturer: SZBF
Model: 209E
Hardware ver: V5.1
Firmware ver: VS.0.1.A

Max current: 14A"

Bear in mind your warranty is probably void if you make firmware changes (or admit to it). Weird things can happen sometimes with firmware updates to any device, and there is the risk of magically transforming your controller into a brick.

Here's a guide regarding the parameters, heed any warnings contained therein:

https://edrivenet.com/bafang-programming/

Lately, rather than muck about with Windows COM ports using Penoff's configurator...

https://penoff.me/2016/01/13/e-bike-conversion-software/

...I've been using the Speeed App:

@Ghost1951 used this web based configurator via Chromebook:

https://devnotes.kymatica.com/BafangWebConfig/BafangWebCfg.html

Take note of or save your original settings - in fact, I'd be interested to see how they're different to my factory settings.

In your case, you should be able to read settings from your preferred bike, and write those settings to your crap performing bike using the saved configuration file, then make the change for wheel size if needed.

Thanks

All I want to do is make adjustments to the % Percentage levels for each power setting not a void for that

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024