The right choice?

Ian Harwood

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 18, 2008
I've been an electric biker in my heart for about three weeks now ever since I chanced upon Claude Butler's Urban model whilst surfing the internet for a new "proper" bike.

I was bit appalled by that model's ugliness and the tacked-on look of it's electrical components, but I was delighted to eventually find 50cycles website with the model that has caused so much discussion on here recently - the Kalkoff Pro-connect. Here was a bike that looked a bit like my normal commuter bike (a low budget Raleigh Chiltern) without resorting to something that looks like a Pashley with a motor.

A bit more surfing whilst waiting for my registration for this forum to come through has convinced me that (subject to a visit to Loughborough this week, and subsequent test ride) this is the bike I want to go for. My main concern about pedelecs is the robustness or otherwise of the components. Part of my commute is on bumpy uneven and broken asphalt (road and cycle track) and I do have a habit of riding trials-style up and down kerbs both when avoiding the busiest junctions and negotiating the dedicated cycle track section.

I'm quite happy (if that's the word) to pay the premium to get quality, and now I have a job I don't need to drive every day to, I reckon the cost is less than six months petrol from when I was doing the old job.

So the question is am I choosing the right bike?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In general e-bikes aren't very suitable for rough surfaces etc. Hub motors are vulnerable to shock impacts, the remotely mounted battery mounts can and do break, and waterproofing is often suspect.

The best at avoiding all these problems is any bike using the Panasonic motor unit like that Pro-Connect, simply because the works are integrated with the battery and the whole centrally mounted. Therefore vertical shocks to the works from either wheel are halved at the centre. In addition the battery is very light at just over 2 kilos so not placing great pressures on the mounting.

Finally the waterproofing is absolute, and I've ridden through deep water on one with the motor unit completely submerged.

So yes, yours is a good choice compared with any other type of e-bike. However, the higher total weight of any e-bike means the shock loading on a wheel is greater than on a normal bike, so some degree of greater care and sympathetic use is desirable, common sense in other words.

Be aware though that the power is only fully available at low cadences (pedalling speeds), not what experienced cyclists are always happy with, so trying out first as you propose is very sensible.

Last edited:

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
Reliable every day transport?

Hi Ian,

I have only had an ebike for around five weeks. The Powacycle Lynx LPX went bad after exactly four weeks, with a possible controller (MCB) fault. I was told that a replacement part would be available within 24 hrs, although an mcb unit was delivered within 24 hrs it was of the wrong version, a correct mcb has not yet been received after seven days.

So I would ask the retailer about downtime of your selected model ebike and the mortality rate of the electric drive train, if he stocks spares off the shelf and/or lead time for spare parts. I expect you will find he will tell you ebikes hardly never breakdown, at least his doesn’t, but yours will. You have to expect electro mechanical devices to breakdown, I made a good living for over 45 years making things work again.

Regarding riding over rough roads and up kerbs, I really wouldn't want to stress the motor hub innards, the spokes or the rim on rough roads or going up other than very smooth dropped kerbs. Shaking the mcb around with all its connections might not be a good idea too. I think riding the ebike in the rain should be avoided, because of water ingress into the hub and mcb.

Now I am retired so I need only ride in the decent weather, and I do enjoy the rides pedelec gives me, or at least I will again when its serviceable. As a reliable mode of assisted transport it is a no no IMHO, but it is great fun whilst it works.:)

Regards Terry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wow, gloomy view from Terry!

The Panasonic unit is very reliable and the sort of problems mentioned there scarcely exist. I worked a Lafree-Panasonic very hard including heavy trailer towing over 4.5 years and thousands of miles in my hilly North Downs area without any unit problems, then sold it to forum member aaannndddyyy who rode and railed it from Surrey to Norfolk last year and has used it without problems since.

Photo

Ian Harwood

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 18, 2008
My cycling style is walking rather than running if you know what I mean, so i'm not concerned about low cadence speeds. As for the bumps and thumps I realise I would have to treat the bike with respect, although I would hope the designers take into account the fact not all roads are billiard table smooth.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Then the Pro Connect would be fine Ian, the rims and spokes heavy duty as is usual on e-bikes, and as I've just added above, these units are very reliable.

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
Don't be put off Ian

Flecc,

We both wrote the piece to Ian without seeing each others posting, we seem to agree about avoiding rough riding and torrential rain scenarios though, I suppose that's common sense really.

Your photo crickey :eek: what a load, I take it the load is cardboard and bubble wrap (that's what it looks like) and was filled with hellium perhaps. :D

I suppose my view seems a bit gloomy, especially if you expect things never to wrong. Some of my customers would complain that their very expensive office machine had gone wrong again, I would usually reply - well what do you expect - you've been using it again haven't you ? :rolleyes:

Regards Terry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No Terry, that load was thick plastic sheeting, the lower layers semi-rigid stuff, and really was heavy. I've had heavier and larger though, and have towed four kids in the trailer, and sometimes double up as here.

I agree with everything you've said where hub motor bikes are concerned, but the Panasonic unit is very different, and it's not in any way vulnerable to water. The main unit with electronics is sealed within two cast aluminium crankcase halves, motor cycle fashion, and the control is a fully sealed touch button design, the whole lot can be immersed in water without harm.

As a lifelong engineer myself, I know what you mean about customers and breaking things. :rolleyes:

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
Saying nice things

No Terry, that load was thick plastic sheeting,.
I was only kidding Flecc :) I thought you might have been some sort of service engineer in a life before from your eloquent, friendly and loquacious style of writing. :cool: Probably comes from pacifing customers and composing Customer Engineering Reports. Back in 1954 the chap I trained under, always took a bag of sweets with him to ingratiate himself with the customer and/or operator, I suppose its difficult to complain when you are chewing a sticky toffee :D

I take your point about the Panasonic motor system, I shall go out and buy one immediately the price goes down to £599, although if mine only lasts one month, I could be in profit within three months with an ebike like yours. :D

Regards Terry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, many different branches. Never tried sweets, humour was my main weapon. Best success was going in to pacify the very irate boss of an important client and using a joke to such good effect that he took me out to lunch in The White House, one of London's finest dining establishments. The price of the bottle of wine could have fed me for a month.

Would that they all went as well!

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Hi Flecc I'm glad I took your advice on the Aggatu, those photo's show more than anything, you understand your stuff,
I didn't notice the scuff marks on your saddle, or the rust streaks on that bike;) ;)