The must have tools you haven't thought about

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Hello there,

I recently discovered a new must have tool:

THE GLUE LINED HEATSHRINK!!

I used to use standard heatshrink to protect and insulate with wires. But glue lined heatshrink are so much more stronger. Once cured the glue become strong and spread nicely the stress across the wires.

I use them now to strenghen my plugs. No more stress on the little wires!! I feel much more confortable on my wires now and it feels solid!

It's much more expensive, but definitely worth it!

And you, what's your must have tool? :)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I discovered glue lined heat shrink a couple of years ago and like you use it often for my Deans connectors. Regular heat shrink just comes away once you have plugged and unplugged the connectors a few times.

My top tool would be my bike work stand. I liked my first one (generic £50 one) so much I upgraded to a Park Tool PCS-10. This unit is the business, solid with strong jaws and adjustment to position the bike exactly right for whatever job you are doing.

[video=youtube;cgTg-Ze7CCQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgTg-Ze7CCQ&feature=related[/video]

If you are thinking of buying a bike work stand, just buy once and get one of these!

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
As a mechanical fitter, the most usefull tool in my toolbox:

images[7].jpg

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Sdrio - I tried that a couple of times but the result is not the same IMHO as its not as hard or as heat resistant (for starters ). It is a poor mans version

As you say it is vastly cheaper and it does have its uses

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
ah? What's so useful about this fitter? I thought it would just for gripping?
Good for locking into chewed up nut and even screws, portable vice, third hand for soldering etc and many other uses.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is there anything special about this electric tape? Or is it a standard one? (then I already have)
It's not electrical tape, it's duct tape, a very strong fabric backed type that has all sorts of temporary or permanent uses. For example on an e-bike battery:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's the stuff. I also plastic weld, but that wasn't my battery, it was one I received for testing from the manufacturer. The courier trip from China did the damage.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Great thread :D

Jerry

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
This thread follows me about like an impolite smell on curry night :rolleyes:

I used to spend far too much time on theatre tech fora & "what's in your toolbox" was a perennial favourite there: Funny enough, the contents were pretty much the same there too.

My bike never goes anywhere whithout this:
IMG_2012082923553.jpg