The Great Shaft Drive Search

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
MXUS XF07?
YTW-06 has lower weight (-1kg) but it's an unnecessary trade-off where weight is not so important.
totally agree about weight

It’s more about what the forks can fit and a desire for low assist stealth

If I have to change the forks to fit a hub full stop....then I’ll go a bit bigger and buy in the uk

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
So I've been in touch with Woosh and their xf07 kit should work nicely (*i hope it may be quite close on the forks !) - I especially like that their kit using this motor has an integrated controller in the battery cradle. For low power, light systems this is far cleaner looking install

I should have both bike and kit in my shed in around 10 days. I'll do a proper build thread then. Only as I have never seen another home build , shaft drive ebike!

Reactions: flecc and D C

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
After meeting a very nice man in a very wet and dark car parking lot near Gatwick tonight :eek: !!!
I acquired some MJ's off of him are these for the shafty bike K, to be fitted in to a HL case ?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Funny thing is on my way downtown the other day I spotted the first shaft driven bike I have ever seen (remember ever seeing). It was of the type without chainstay, replaced by the shaft.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
After meeting a very nice man in a very wet and dark car parking lot near Gatwick tonight :eek: !!!
I acquired some MJ's off of him are these for the shafty bike K, to be fitted in to a HL case ?
Possibly Neal, I'm not quite sure as yet ! I might use the case more or less as is on a rack with panniers as mega range extender for Shafty (i like that btw)

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Funny thing is on my way downtown the other day I spotted the first shaft driven bike I have ever seen (remember ever seeing). It was of the type without chainstay, replaced by the shaft.
Maybe now you have your "eye in" you'll see more

We have bike share scheme in Brighton. They all have shaft drive and nexus 7 hubs. And weigh as much as a small hatchback! Nothing like my purchase which is astonishing light considering shaft and alfine hub. When I get it back from storage at a family members house in Essex I shall weigh it

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Oh, and I think the reason I got a ridiculously good price for it is the seller knew the RH isis crank arm is worn and wobbly. But didn't know how to obtain a replacement

What he didn't know is they easily available due to ebikes for under 30notes the crank arm set ! See fsa brose for example

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Possibly Neal, I'm not quite sure as yet ! I might use the case more or less as is on a rack with panniers as mega range extender for Shafty (i like that btw)

The cell pack from Peter will need a bms added, there is a jst & sense wires attached but they are minute micro ones.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The cell pack from Peter will need a bms added, there is a jst & sense wires attached but they are minute micro ones.
Thanks , yes I did know that and i have a bms in stock but it's very wimpy at 15a

Any recommends for the job given you've seen the pack ?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Oh, and I think the reason I got a ridiculously good price for it is the seller knew the RH isis crank arm is worn and wobbly. But didn't know how to obtain a replacement

What he didn't know is they easily available due to ebikes for under 30notes the crank arm set ! See fsa brose for example

And my smugness bites me in the proverbial

Turns out the ISIS crank was no such thing. They are 10 spline and easily available . This uses truvstive power spline standard (12spline) also pretty much a failed experiment and abandoned

I have had to buy another lh crank arm as RH non drive cranks are like unicorns

So now I have to buy two sets of pedals and just use the LH ones. Grr, hate that waste

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And my smugness bites me in the proverbial

Turns out the ISIS crank was no such thing. They are 10 spline and easily available . This uses truvstive power spline standard (12spline) also pretty much a failed experiment and abandoned

I have had to buy another lh crank arm as RH non drive cranks are like unicorns

So now I have to buy two sets of pedals and just use the LH ones. Grr, hate that waste
That's really annoying. I wish the cycle industry would stop continuously bringing in new headstock and crank variations, there's far too many already.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
That's really annoying. I wish the cycle industry would stop continuously bringing in new headstock and crank variations, there's far too many already.
Not to mention then many new axle types !

It's all money making (well not all, someno a genuinely improved tech)

But so much appears so

Try buying a straight steer 26 inch qr fork these days....

• Agree

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks , yes I did know that and i have a bms in stock but it's very wimpy at 15a

Any recommends for the job given you've seen the pack ?

The case I've not seen before, it's very long.
410mm x 92mm x 70mm,
Cells are buss welded as 10s 5p nut not in a conventional layout, this one is 3 cells wide and one row is 19 cells long.
You mayhave to re do the jst lead and solder your bms jst to them (The jst connector is a double decker one) , there are 15 wires but can only see 10 connected for string sense voltage.
One black wire is broken and one has a nick in it, both close to the jst connector.
The cell pack from the date (I might be wrong) appears to be coded March 2017.
Code is Q0720132A4 AFAICT.

I will add a pics tomorrow, will take some in daylight if there is much :(, raining again.

I have dismantled 100 PF (C cells) & 50 PD (A cells) this afternoon ready for cleaning off the spikey spot welds.
The other pack wasn't PF but the earlier PD cell, nickel buss plate was tough to get off, haven't got any verniers but looked very much as if it was 0.3 thickness compared to the thinner 0.15 on the PF's & MJ's.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Pics K.
Some of the sense wires disappear in between cell rows so hard to see which ones go where. No doubt a chap of your ability if not re- constructing the pack can simply check the wire voltages if splicing the wires or simply solder your bms jst wires on to the appropriate cell group.

DSCF0882.JPG DSCF0883.JPG DSCF0884.JPG DSCF0887.JPG DSCF0888.JPG DSCF0889.JPG

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The case I've not seen before, it's very long.
410mm x 92mm x 70mm,
Cells are buss welded as 10s 5p nut not in a conventional layout, this one is 3 cells wide and one row is 19 cells long.
You mayhave to re do the jst lead and solder your bms jst to them (The jst connector is a double decker one) , there are 15 wires but can only see 10 connected for string sense voltage.
One black wire is broken and one has a nick in it, both close to the jst connector.
The cell pack from the date (I might be wrong) appears to be coded March 2017.
Code is Q0720132A4 AFAICT.

I will add a pics tomorrow, will take some in daylight if there is much :(, raining again.

I have dismantled 100 PF (C cells) & 50 PD (A cells) this afternoon ready for cleaning off the spikey spot welds.
The other pack wasn't PF but the earlier PD cell, nickel buss plate was tough to get off, haven't got any verniers but looked very much as if it was 0.3 thickness compared to the thinner 0.15 on the PF's & MJ's.
Thankyou Neal , brilliant info

I still need to buy a decent bms for it so will get one with its own jst balance cables

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I got in touch with a UK manufacturer of pedals I really like (superstar complements ) as I thought they might supply two lefts given they produce in the 1000s

They did not oblige but did suggest a solution of buying a set of axles for a tenner and swapping out. A good idea which could apply to any pedals with replaceable axles

Time to scout the web for options

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I just enlarged one of the pics Kirstin and originally what I thought were wire nicks are actually spliced/soldered wires with no insulation covering them. Also notice the scorched wires, looks like charging load was to great for the wiring to handle, the broken wire either solder joint has snapped or heat has caused it.
I think you are better off cutting and splicing the ones required for your bms connector and get rid of the excess not needed.
The wiring is micro stuff and think the original bms must have had extra input/output to the pack to make use of the 16 wires at the connector.

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I just enlarged one of the pics Kirstin and originally what I thought were wire nicks are actually spliced/soldered wires with no insulation covering them. Also notice the scorched wires, looks like charging load was to great for the wiring to handle, the broken wire either solder joint has snapped or heat has caused it.
I think you are better off cutting and splicing the ones required for your bms connector and get rid of the excess not needed.
The wiring is micro stuff and think the original bms must have had extra input/output to the pack to make use of the 16 wires at the connector.
Thanks Neal , I'll hold off doing anything until I have the pack in hand as I have a good batteries to run both bikes (when Shafty is built next week - unforseen difficulties apart ) so I can take my time

Advertisers