Tailwind-less (Flat Battery after 5 miles)

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Well after all my excitement at getting the Schwinn Tailwind it fell at the first hurdle. I set out today for my first real trip. 6.1 miles with a steep hill at the start then a very gradual climb for the majority of the remainder and then a very steep and long climb at about 5 miles. It was at that point the battery gave out. I had to walk up a very steep bit and then rode the last half mile. I was not amused. I then played a full round of golf and had to ride it home without any battery assistance at all. Remarkably I made it. I think that is actually a credit to the quality of the 'cycle parts' as the bike is very comfortable and super stable. I have already raised concerns to the supplier that the battery did not look knew and the serial number did not match the serial number for the battery on the main bike box. I have sent them images. Problem is how much faith can I have in the life of any battery they do send me. I know Fatboyrig has not had any similar issues but as you can imagine it is a worry. Now do I ask for a partial refund and by a kit to fit to it or just get my money back. At this point it is not of merchantable quality so I might just tell them to pick it up and go for a Bighit that is getting such great reviews.

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Sorry to hear of your bad experience, PJM. It's something we all dread spending all this money on ebikes - that they won't live up to our expectations or perform as they are supposed to.Don't think I'd try fitting a kit-either a refund or another battery.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Sorry to hear that PJM but at least you managed to get there and back albeit more tired than you were expecting......my advice get your money back and go with the bighit....you wont have any problems then getting up hills and plenty of them.
I would have lost faith in the company anyway after sending you a bike with what obviously seems to be an old battery...thats disgraceful......hope you can get your money back.

Lynda

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I've posted a few times, the Tailwind using that small SCiB battery is really best suited to flatter areas, using it at the limit of it's power on a very long climb route like yours to the top of the Downs will produce a short range, though that is very short and the battery may be partly at fault.

A Tonaro will certainly be better suited to a hill climb route like that, and at between 19 and 25 miles range according to the supplier's figures which have been borne out, you wouldn't run out of juice. I would suggest at risk of others fury that it wouldn't give the same bicycle experience as the Tailwind though.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks for the kind words. I thought after reading Fatboyrig's experiences it would do the job. I was only looking for a 12.2 mile round trip. As Flecc says the cycle experience is very satisfying but if it won't do what it says on the tin it will probably go back. I was tempted to look for a partial refund and look to add a reliable kit as I do like the ride. The bike was at a clearance price and obviously has not been a big hit, excuse the pun. I must admit I was quite amazed at getting her home without having a heart attack. There was no obvious drag from the motor.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There was no obvious drag from the motor.
They've normally used the Tongxin Nano motor which has roller instead of gear internal drive and a very different freewheel arrangement which has no drag. These are only realistically possible with limited power though. You wouldn't get drag with a crank drive Tonaro either, but it's weight would make it a pig on hills without power.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Its a tough one ...as you like the bike ... which after all is the most important thing ... Based on fatboytrig's experience I'd think I would just kick up a stink and get a new battery, a spare one AND another charger! ...

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Todays experience has got me thinking. How much easier would it have been to ride a lightweight hybrid over the powerless ebike. If I made it on the tailwind with all the extra weight could I get by on a non ebike?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's certainly food for thought, though I wouldn't envy you the climbs up Sanderstead Hill and in particular Slines Oak Road, both long and the latter with some nasty steep bits. Are you carrying clubs etc on the ride by the way?

Oiseaux

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2011
La roche Posay, Vienne, France
........A Tonaro will certainly be better suited to a hill climb route like that, and at between 19 and 25 miles range according to the supplier's figures which have been borne out, you wouldn't run out of juice. I would suggest at risk of others fury that it wouldn't give the same bicycle experience as the Tailwind though.
Please could you explain the last sentence Flecc.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
How much easier would it have been to ride a lightweight hybrid over the powerless ebike?
How easy is it to ride your powerless ebike?

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Hey PJM
What a downer that must have been,it does happen,but flat battery after 5miles means there must be a problem,i hope you sort it,and if not im with Lynda ,the Bighit is indeed becoming a bighit ,ive just bought one,and i am about to give it another test run,and this is one hell of a dream machine,i think it feeds on steep hills which is why it is a little heavy lol,good luck my friend,very best wishes Brian.

Last edited:

fatboytrig

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
I am sorry to read this. As you say, PJM, it could be a used one. I have to say though. I commute daily on some tough short and long hills. Each way, my route is between 7 - 8 miles, with a long 2 mile up hill and at two very steep, shorter inclines.

I can drain the battery in one journey when:

1. I have full panniers, laptop, clothes
2. Strong headwind. (and there have been several days recently, like this)
3. (importantly) If I use it in full power mode all the way.

If I don't have a heavy load and headwind, I have at least 1 or 2 lights remaining after my journey and that is for the hardest, more direct route. (when in full power mode)

If I go the long way, which is just over 8 miles (not that much longer then) I do get home with 2 or 3 lights remaining. (out of 4 lights) This route is not so hilly.

All in all, I just watch when I use the full power mode. In Medium mode, I still reach 15 mph on the flat, no worries & around 8 - 10 mph up moderate hills.

I am pretty certain that I could do the round trip without having to re-charge the battery but I have not tried this yet as the manual says you are supposed to re-charge after every journey, which looks after the battery.

I have not experimented with very long routes yet but I did several trips last weekend in one day without recharging and covered 15 miles before the batter gave out completely and I was almost home + I did have some big old hills to get up and down, also.

Overall, the range I am getting is good enough for me. I am not posting this to brag (please don't get me wrong) I suppose it may help you gauge if there is a problem with yours or not. Perhaps there is.

I hope you manage to sort it. Please let us know how it goes.
A great bike though. I mean, it really is a fantastic cycle without the powered bit. So smooth and steady.
Perhaps worth keeping anyway for a kit in the future? If you can afford the luxury of doing such a thing.

I wish you all the best with it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Please could you explain the last sentence Flecc.
Yes of course. For others benefit, the last sentence was:

"I would suggest at risk of others fury that it wouldn't give the same bicycle experience as the Tailwind though."

The Tailwind is a lightweight bike which, if the electrics were stripped off, would perform very respectably as a sporting road bike, and as PJM has said, it's a pleasure to cycle without power even with the electrics included.

The Tonaro Bighit at 29 kilos and a somewhat moped like power availability is a very long way from that. Extremely competent under power, it's certainly not a lightweight sporting bike and I wouldn't like to try climbing any hill on it without power.

But as ever and from long experience in this forum, pointing out such things can lead to furious attacks from owners insisting the opposite and denying the obvious, such is pride of ownership.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Clearly there is a fault with the battery. The simplest thing is going to be to get them to take the whole thing back. I have considered asking for a substantial refund and then putting that towards a conversion kit. With all the cable routes in place, brake switches, pedelec disc, etc in place I think fitting a kit in a neat and professional way would not be that tall an order. However with kits running from the low four hundreds through to over a £1000 for the Dapush it would still work out as expensive if not more than choosing another bike off the shelf. I don't think the supplier will be difficult its just a huge inconvenience and disappointment.

donnoirf

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2010
KINGS NORTON BIRMINGHAM
Sorry you've had such a disappointing purchase.

I noticed the last review of this bike on chain reaction cycles was on just a few weeks ago

the reviewer states:
"I bought this electric bike because i live in an area with really uphills and downhills (my age is 62 and a weight of 93 kgs). I have tested the range of the 5 amp battery and it is very different. Without any wind I can bike app. 12 km before the battery cuts off. If the wind is a little strong against I can only bike app 6 km before shutdown. Because off the short loading time I always bring the 220 V. loading kit with me, and for my use this is perfect. Generally the pedalassist is very good, I feel fine after 1 km upphill,and recommends this bike for a distance of 6-12 km."

sounds like its a lovely push bike but very poor ebike especially for longer distances, hills & head winds.

unless the charger unit it is light, its not really practical to take it about with you everywhere

all the best with getting your money back & finding a better kit

Donna

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
It is a shame that there is not a simple way to replace the battery and controller to give it a better range. I am not looking at a higher speed but a longer range and a bit more torque would be great.