Tailwind arrives

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
The new Scwinn Tailwind arrived yesterday. It was partially assembled but took an hour or so to put together. I charged it up and went for a ride. I live at the foot of a big hill. I would never able to get up it on a conventional bike but even though the bike is the lowest on grunt of any that I tried I did get up the hill and remained on the saddle. As I have previously commented the object of the bike is to get fitter and I think it will serve its purpose. The quality of the fittings including quality lights and lock is top notch and the standard of finish is very high. I previously tried several bikes and in reality it seems no heavier in use. It is certainly very comfortable and coped very well with my 15.5 stone. I would advise that even in step thru the large bike is V large. I am nearly 5 11 with a 31.5 inside leg and I think the medium would have done. The position is upright and high on the 700 wheels. It felt a lot more stable than some I have trialled, particularly when looking over my shoulder. Down hill felt controlled with the suspension dealing very well with the poor road surface. Overall I felt safe. The brakes are reversed and i will have to swap them over but have not wanted to fiddle just yet. I am sure it cannot be that complex. Minor niggle in that the battery looks like it has been used and is not brand new. I have emailed the supplier and I am sure that will get sorted. However at £499.00 delivered it is a snip and worse case scenario for the future would be a replacement kit as the bike itself is a dream.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
However at £499.00 delivered it is a snip and worse case scenario for the future would be a replacement kit as the bike itself is a dream.
Yes PJM, No-one could argue that the bike represents fantastic value for money and I think you'll really enjoy it.

Pedal-assisted bikes don't suit everyone and full-size, large wheeled models frighten some, perhaps because it seems such a high riding position. Many people grew up and had their early cycling experience in an era when much smaller, stylised bikes were in fashion. The Chopper-type bike is an example of what I mean and even today, I see youngsters well over 6 feet tall riding those little stunt bikes, jump bikes or whatever they're called.

I doubt you'll be doing any serious off-road cycling but I've found my Dutch bike copes much better than one might expect in rough conditions. It's no mountain bike but it copes with rough tracks ever so well thanks to decent suspension.

I'd appreciate if you keep us appraised of your thoughts on the bike, especially after the novelty wears off. Enjoy it for what it is.

Regards,
Indalo

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Along with fatboytrig (who is already looking slimmer!) you can start your own little "tailwinders" club. How far is your commute? It'll be interesting to compare battery stats and charge times etc.. in a few weeks time .. Have a great time with your new bike.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Its not actually a commute, albeit sometimes playing golf can be like hardwork:) The journey is 6.1 miles with a long and very steep hill or 8.4 miles if I go along the top of the North Downs and come back on myself. The route home is much easier. I will let you know how it goes. The idea is for getting there and back two or three times a week.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Its not actually a commute, albeit sometimes playing golf can be like hardwork:) The journey is 6.1 miles with a long and very steep hill or 8.4 miles if I go along the top of the North Downs and come back on myself. The route home is much easier. I will let you know how it goes. The idea is for getting there and back two or three times a week.
Thanks. I'll put you down as a "golf commuter" then! ..