Synergie G2 Mistral.. a good budget e-bike?

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
I think Kal is due a commission from Synergie/Europa Bikes for his fine review of the Mistral G2. They sold two (one to me) on Sunday afternoon and another one today. I shall try and give a more detailed report on mine in due course, but so far it has received a warm welcome from all members of the family, ranging in size from 5 feet 4 to over 6 feet.

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008
I think Kal is due a commission from Synergie/Europa Bikes for his fine review of the Mistral G2. They sold two (one to me) on Sunday afternoon and another one today. I shall try and give a more detailed report on mine in due course, but so far it has received a warm welcome from all members of the family, ranging in size from 5 feet 4 to over 6 feet.
Thanks for the kind remark Rooel. You have made an excellent choice with the Synergie G2 Mistral, I think they are great fun and tremendous value for money.

It's difficult to convey to people, who have not ridden or seen the Mistral in the flesh, just how good this e-bike really is. I had difficulty finding the independent information I required to make up my mind whether or not this was the e-bike for me after reading the eBay sales promotion which is why I wrote my very honest and detailed review.

I think many popular e-bikes are very expensive and it's difficult to see where the extra value is. Not everyone can afford or are prepared to pay £1000 or more for their first e-bike. After reading posts on this forum you can't help noticing that paying a high price doesn't necessarily mean you always get a happy customer with a reliable machine. After over 400 miles I have had no problems and I'm very happy with the Mistral as I'm sure you will be too.

I look forward to reading your own review of the Mistral G2 in due course.
Kal

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
The main problem with choosing the Mistral is that there appears to be no shop with them on display, and the customer has to buy a bike in a box (or, if it turns out badly, a pig in a poke). Synergie at Inverkeithing have a shedful of boxed and only partially assembled Mistrals. Doing it that way of course enables them to provide the customer with a bargain.

Electric Bike Sales - Shop Online for Electric Bikes, Electric Vehicles and Cycle Accessories on the other hand
which charges £599!! may have them on display, but it mails them out in exactly the same way as Synergie, partially assembled, in a box, which is no doubt first sealed in China. Their only advantage seems to be that they do them in yellow, in addition to Burgundy, and Electric Blue.

Reviews and photographs are the only resources on which to base one's choice, and I am relieved that, relying on these, I have not been disappointed.

Last edited:

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008
Yes Rooel, I know you can buy them at Electricbikesales shop assembled at a higher price which does indeed make buying online more of a bargain if you are capable and prepared to do a little assembly yourself. No disrespect to the shop.. they provide a service and are in it to make a profit for people that prefer seeing what they are buying and getting their e-bike ready to ride. Anyone considering assembling themselves can view a photo I uploaded of the Synergie Mistral as it came out of the box on the Synergie user group website.

Mistral before being assembled
http://sports.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/synergieusergroup/photos

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008
Which other names are the Synergie sold under?

Sustain Cycles website at present has this notice on the Newton sales page: "Sorry... we are out of stock, please use this form to be notified when we receive new stock"

Their Newton branded e-bike appears to be the same as the Synergie Mistral.

The only reference to their e-bike prices I could find is that they are all priced under £600

Delivery is stated as "£40 next businessday"

The battery for the Newton is shown as "£179 - Battery New Style only" and includes vat

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
And from Synergie the batteries are £158 including VAT and delivery:) .

Anfield800

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 28, 2008
Kal, I think that's exactly the point. You can't grumble at all with the Mistral for the money, it's a great bike and I'm delighted with mine.

I haven't used it much in the month I've owned it as I've been on my honeymoon but I'm now using it every day to get to work. It's only a 13 mile round trip, but with petrol hitting £1.10 for unleaded here, I'm saving a fortune!

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008
Kal, I think that's exactly the point. You can't grumble at all with the Mistral for the money, it's a great bike and I'm delighted with mine.

I haven't used it much in the month I've owned it as I've been on my honeymoon but I'm now using it every day to get to work. It's only a 13 mile round trip, but with petrol hitting £1.10 for unleaded here, I'm saving a fortune!
I read your review on the Synergie G2 Mistral which inspired me to do the same. I just read your review again and can see we both agree it's a great e-bike for the money.

I hope you managed to stop the battery rattle using an "O" ring or something similar.. like we were discussing on the Yahoo Synergie user group.

I'm a lot older than you and did a similar thing to save on petrol many years ago, when I was around your age, by using a Honda 50cc bike to travel to and from work. No e-bikes in those far off days.. unfortunately. Now that I'm retired I use the Mistral just for pleasure on quiet roads around the coast and countryside.

Honeymoon.. congratulations!

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
I read your review on the Synergie G2 Mistral which inspired me to do the same. I just read your review again and can see we both agree it's a great e-bike for the money.

I hope you managed to stop the battery rattle using an "O" ring or something similar.. like we were discussing on the Yahoo Synergie user group.

I'm a lot older than you and did a similar thing to save on petrol many years ago, when I was around your age, by using a Honda 50cc bike to travel to and from work. No e-bikes in those far off days.. unfortunately. Now that I'm retired I use the Mistral just for pleasure on quiet roads around the coast and countryside.

Honeymoon.. congratulations!
Honeymoons are great, got together with Jen in 1985 still doing ours.
I have just bought an Agattu, First 150 miles , and I love it, I cycle as agressively as I can (pedaling wise) as one reason I bought it was to start cycling again, at 70 I find Cornwall coast too much of a challenge unaided. but can 'do' 40 Km now,
TO the point: J is also 70, more frail than me, has also had to give up cycling here (previous we were in Bristol)
we also spend half the year travelling in a MOTOR HOME, France Turkey Sicilly etc. Beceause the agattu has no assist without pedal, I am considering a Mistral for her, I gather there is a throttle control that alows the unit to be used even when the foot input is minimal.?? this would cut down the range but a spare battery would solve this yeh?
I furthur gather that there is a issue downhill, having no freewheel , also solved with a spare battery.?
Money is a small impediment, being a state pensioner, my Capital base is eroding, due to buying all these toys(have just had to buy another lawnmower due to starting problems and half acre grass.) but we have two phesants living in the garden and hope of young, would post a picture but dont know how yet
Oldosc

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Although the mistral has a throttle which would be fine on the flat and rather gentle hills it is not that powerfull, it would require more pedal assistance than the agattu to climb the bigger hills,i would strongly advise a test ride for your partner before purchasing, to make sure it can meet your needs.

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008
Honeymoons are great, got together with Jen in 1985 still doing ours.
I have just bought an Agattu, First 150 miles , and I love it, I cycle as agressively as I can (pedaling wise) as one reason I bought it was to start cycling again, at 70 I find Cornwall coast too much of a challenge unaided. but can 'do' 40 Km now,
TO the point: J is also 70, more frail than me, has also had to give up cycling here (previous we were in Bristol)
we also spend half the year travelling in a MOTOR HOME, France Turkey Sicilly etc. Beceause the agattu has no assist without pedal, I am considering a Mistral for her, I gather there is a throttle control that alows the unit to be used even when the foot input is minimal.?? this would cut down the range but a spare battery would solve this yeh?
I furthur gather that there is a issue downhill, having no freewheel , also solved with a spare battery.?
Money is a small impediment, being a state pensioner, my Capital base is eroding, due to buying all these toys(have just had to buy another lawnmower due to starting problems and half acre grass.) but we have two phesants living in the garden and hope of young, would post a picture but dont know how yet
Oldosc
Fishingpaul is right Oldosc, when he says the Synergie Mistral would require more pedal assistance than the Agattu to climb the bigger hills. But as an Agattu owner you would no doubt already be aware of the superior hill climbing ability of the Panasonic system used on your bike.

The Mistral's rear hub motor is only average power but gives me adequate assistance up most hills. I find very steep hills are manageable at a slow speed, even though I'm an older rider but, I am a regular rider. The throttle control is very smooth and gives the rider the opportunity to cruise along without turning the pedals at all. The Mistral is received out-of-the-box de restricted which means that it will travel at 17-18mph on flat terrain (with rider 10.5 stones - 67kg). To restrict the motor you have to connect the two wires sticking out of the control box near the pedals. Even if your wife needed to push the bike up hills she would not have to push the bike herself because twisting the throttle would take care of that. I think someone on this forum said they did 20 miles without peddaling on a single battery charge.

I didn't understand why you said you would need another battery because there is no free-wheel on the Mistral. The hub motor cogging (drag) doesn't take any battery power but acts as a very useful brake when going downhill, holding back the speed like changing down to a lower gear in a car. This feature I have grown to like because it saves using the brakes a lot downhill and reduces wear on the brake blocks and alloy wheel rims.

The dynamo is useless and the battery rattled when I went for my first ride but this is easily cured. In the two and a half months I've owned the Mistral I've clocked up 700 miles and had no further problems. I've not needed to make any adjustments. I have oiled the chain twice, inflated the tyres twice and charge the battery every trip. I've fitted a cycle computer a saddle bag and a mirror. I don't know why some people change the tyres, mine are great (not knobbly in the middle of the tread) and I would fit the same again.