Swytch bike problems

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi,
The motor connector is all the way up to the line on the connector. It went wrong when I was riding across a flat car park, so no exceptional strain. It wasn't raining at the time.
Is there a way of getting the motor apart to check connection or water ingress?
Thanks
Do you have that bigstupid conne tor arrangement between the powerpack and the other things sothatyou can remove the whole bag thing?

Hwncomwnco

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 21, 2024
Do you have that bigstupid conne tor arrangement between the powerpack and the other things sothatyou can remove the whole bag thing?
Yes I do. It's in very good condition because its always been in a saddle bag mounted behind the seat.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Definately sounds like a commutation issue.
Often it is phase or a Hall issue , I beleive the switch uses waterproof (w/p) connectors so testing is a ittle more difficult .
Typically we would test for a mosfet issue or motor Hall issue, with w/p connectors one has to make up a Y lead to plug in between the controller and motor w/p connectors .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't know anything about theses other than they exist.
Ebike tester.
Those things are no good and don't really tell you much, it gives no voltage values except shows one aseries of led lights. Also they ar e no good for systems with w/p connectors, a normal test mulitmeter DVM will tell one more .

Reactions: Wayners

Hwncomwnco

Mar 21, 2024
Those things are no good and don't really tell you much, it gives no voltage values except shows one aseries of led lights. Also they ar e no good for systems with w/p connectors, a normal test mulitmeter DVM will tell one more .
So.. it goes on.. I bought a new motor wheel. It looks like it's never been used. I put it on and... same thing... grindy horrible noise. So, it's not the motor, not the controller (swytch sent me a new one and that made no difference). The battery is fine, 36v under load. So it must be a connection right? The leads/connections are immaculate and connected right up to the lines etc.
Anybody need a spare 700C, black rim/black spoke with rim brake surface motor wheel?

Hwncomwnco

Mar 21, 2024
Definately sounds like a commutation issue.
Often it is phase or a Hall issue , I beleive the switch uses waterproof (w/p) connectors so testing is a ittle more difficult .
Typically we would test for a mosfet issue or motor Hall issue, with w/p connectors one has to make up a Y lead to plug in between the controller and motor w/p connectors .
Hi Nealh. If I buy a Tong Sheng 250w 36v middrive system, could I use the Swytch Pro 36v battery to run it? Thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The grinding noise is still a commutation issue, phase doesn't have to be colour to colour. It does sound like phase wire order is incorrect .
With phase and halls there ae a possible thirty six wire combo's .

Yes the 36v battery should have no issue with a Tongsheng.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi Nealh. If I buy a Tong Sheng 250w 36v middrive system, could I use the Swytch Pro 36v battery to run it? Thanks.
The grinding noise is a commutation issue between the controller and motor. That's one cable! Maybe you haven't pushed the motor connector in far enough.

Massi

Just Joined
Jul 10, 2024
Hello,

I am writing to report a recurring issue with my electric bike that is causing significant inconvenience during my daily commutes.
I received my kit in September 2023. It's the new model.
The problem manifests as the battery level indicator on the LED display suddenly dropping to the lowest level with only one LED lit. In some cases, the single LED even starts flashing, and the electric assistance cuts off altogether, despite the battery level indicator showing 4/5 bars.

Thank you for your time and attention to this issue.

Massi.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hello,

I am writing to report a recurring issue with my electric bike that is causing significant inconvenience during my daily commutes.
I received my kit in September 2023. It's the new model.
The problem manifests as the battery level indicator on the LED display suddenly dropping to the lowest level with only one LED lit. In some cases, the single LED even starts flashing, and the electric assistance cuts off altogether, despite the battery level indicator showing 4/5 bars.

Thank you for your time and attention to this issue.

Massi.
Probably a connection issue. I had a similar problem with one of my bikes, where the LCD showed that the battery was empty when it was full. I found that the battery connector had a bit of corrosion on it.

Another thing: When you draw a high current from a battery, the voltage drops. You see it more if you have a small battery. Is your indicator going down and staying down or does it only go down when you use high power?

Massi

Just Joined
Jul 10, 2024
Thank you Saneagle for your message.

By the way, when the battery is at 100% charge, the LED display also shows 100%. And I can confirm that the connector is securely plugged in and in good condition.

Indeed, the indicator mainly drops after a few kilometers of riding, especially when I use the highest power levels. It drops quite quickly to the lowest level. If I use the average power level, the indicator drops gradually to the minimum level. The most annoying thing is that after a while, I no longer have any assistance and the motor stops!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thank you Saneagle for your message.

By the way, when the battery is at 100% charge, the LED display also shows 100%. And I can confirm that the connector is securely plugged in and in good condition.

Indeed, the indicator mainly drops after a few kilometers of riding, especially when I use the highest power levels. It drops quite quickly to the lowest level. If I use the average power level, the indicator drops gradually to the minimum level. The most annoying thing is that after a while, I no longer have any assistance and the motor stops!
If the motor connector isn't in far enough, you could get that. Is the motor running smoothly?

Massi

Just Joined
Jul 10, 2024
If the motor connector isn't in far enough, you could get that. Is the motor running smoothly?
Yes, as long as the motor is not stopped and the LED indicator is not at zero, it runs perfectly on all power levels.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Logically, the problem is either that your bike is drawing too much current or the battery can't provide the current demanded. As your motor is running smoothly, there should be no reason for drawing high current, so everything is pointing at the battery.

Reactions: Massi

Massi

Just Joined
Jul 10, 2024
Logically, the problem is either that your bike is drawing too much current or the battery can't provide the current demanded. As your motor is running smoothly, there should be no reason for drawing high current, so everything is pointing at the battery.
In any case, I have reported an incident to Swytch Bike and am awaiting their response.