Swifty Liberte Coppercell ES20 36V 7.26ah battery charger problems

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Yes @Ghost1951 , But only charging to 50% however would require the battery to be so far out of balance that the battery wouldn't charge at all in the first place??
-Im confused now..

And fwiw the 2.2v value above was pulled from my rear as a suggested minimum viable voltage to consider reviving an over discharged cell from.. with a 'check it ' proviso .. assuming if cracking the battery OP will identify the cells used and google for the datasheet.. Or at least would get a suggestion to do so at that stage..
With only basic and superficial battery surgery experience i wouldn't be happy advising op what would and would not be worth reviving specifically, im more the armchair regurgitating advisor type ;)

Only thing for sure is we dont have the full picture, and somethings not right with the battery in question.

brackb01

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 25, 2024
I hope you will let us know what happens when you try to use the bike. From what you said, I think it won't charge up at all.

You did not respond to Neilh's question about the overall voltage of the battery pack at the output terminals.
Hi, the bike was "nippy" and I didn't relly see any depletion in Battery.

Multimeter said the Battery was giving out 35V.

brackb01

Jul 25, 2024
How old is the battery?? if bought from a uk dealer its probably got 12-24months of warranty?

Whats the bikes history?
bought with the bike in 21, used for a week then sat in the shed whislt I went through some medical issues till now.

brackb01

Jul 25, 2024
Missed this in the OP, it charges, but not Fully!! DOH!

if only charging upto 50% @brackb01 ? I take it thats going by the bike display or battery leds? use a multimeter on the battery output terminals for a real reading..
could be a dodgy led circuit board ??

but if the charger is stopping charging and your battery has a low voltage afterwards? 50% you say? its probably just down hill from here for you with that battery and it will continue to charge up with less and less capacity.

you need a new battery..
Yes, going by LED's on battery (2/4 light lit) and the display (3 bars out of 6)

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
That explains how you misplaced the original charger.. hope your on the way to a full recovery..

can you confirm if the battery charges at all or wont charge ? if it charges but the fully charged voltage is 35v thats one thing and the batteries history of standing for years might explain that?

Or If its at 35v and wont accept any charge and if discharged further to say 32v it would not charge back up to 35v even?

If the latter cell group imbalance could be the cause , and be fixable as suggested above..