Suspension fork upgrade? - ezee torq1

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Hi, I wish to upgrade my old, much used, Ezee Torq1 front forks to suspension type.

The front wheel (and rear come to that) need spoke attention and I find a cycle path I'm using regularly really is now quite rough. I also probably ride too fast on it as well. If and whilst I'm dealing with this I think a fork upgrade would be sensible.

I think the dropout on standard forks is 105mm (?). My bafang motor seems to be about 120 but with an opportunity to reduce/eliminate some of the axle spacers.

Anyone done it or have a view/advice. Thanks Dave

D

Deleted member 4366

Loads of forks to choose from. You can get some really nice used ones on Ebay for not too much money. The more you spend, the better you get. If you get used ones, make sure the steerer tube is long enough. You should measure yours from the bottom to the stem cap. The other thing to look out for is the disc mount. Yours looks like side-mount, but some forks are post-mount, although you can get adaptors fairly cheaply. 100mm is the standard drop-out distance. Bafang motors are 100mm too. Are you sure you measured accurately?

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Yeah buddy, what you need is latest Tonaro-mega-backfire motor, 350mm between dropouts an 8gigs of usable explosive motive force, and mind you'll get thro a wheen o rear treds!

nowthenpal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 7, 2013
The powabyke front hub is also 120mm, I've tried to add some sr suntour suspension forks before, I've tried to remove spacers etc to try and get the axle to fit. No chance! With rigid forks you can get some play to open the dropouts with a 10mm rod and a couple of washers and nuts. I'm looking at having a go today to add the suntour forks to my Giant laFree, I'll post the results if sucessful.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Bafang motor and the fork spacing on the Torq 1 is indeed about 120 mm wide, but as said, some small gain can be made by removing a spacer and washers. To show how wide the forks are, I actually squeezed a Nexus 3 speed hub rear wheel in there to try the bike without the motor.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
The powabyke front hub is also 120mm, I've tried to add some sr suntour suspension forks before, I've tried to remove spacers etc to try and get the axle to fit. No chance! With rigid forks you can get some play to open the dropouts with a 10mm rod and a couple of washers and nuts. I'm looking at having a go today to add the suntour forks to my Giant laFree, I'll post the results if sucessful.
I built a special a couple of years ago with a powerbike hub in the front of a Giant mountain bike and from recollection the dropout on the forks had to be taken out to about 135mm. It was a real squeeze - but worked well.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
The Bafang motor and the fork spacing on the Torq 1 is indeed about 120 mm wide, but as said, some small gain can be made by removing a spacer and washers. To show how wide the forks are, I actually squeezed a Nexus 3 speed hub rear wheel in there to try the bike without the motor.
Indeed Flecc and thanks for your input - the bafang as fitted to the easy is about 120 wide. When I can I'll pull the wheel out and see what can be shaved off the spacers!

Oh and Dave - the torq1 doesn't have a disc front brake so I'll have make sure the forks I get can accommodate calliper brakes.

Thanks for the input everyone.