Sub £1k Commuter Ebike that is or can be easily delimited / derestricted.

Slinky

Just Joined
Jan 7, 2022
Hello,

I'm looking for a low-cost ready-to-go ebike, that is either rear hub or mid drive.
That can go ~20mph.
I will use it mostly on private land - I understand the issues relating to public liability, warranty etc.

Yes, I can get a conversion kit, but wondering what's out there that involves little work.

I thought there might be bikes based Bafang or other e-drive manufactures, from smaller suppliers.

Or if not that easy, are there bikes that are known to just need a new motor controller etc.

Any pointers in the right direction appreciated

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Most standard Chinese bikes from Ebay and Amazon can be derestricted. Choose one you like, then go on YouTube and look for a video on how to derestrict that particular bike, and make sure that it's not a video for a previous model.

I doubt that you'll be riding round at 20 mph, though. Most bikes for 15mph have motors that can spin to about 22 mph, but the power ramps down to zeo at that speed, so you get good power at 15 mph, some useful power at 18 mph, but by the time you get to 20 mph, you can hear the motor turning, but you're not getting much from it. Different motors have different speeds. Ideally, you need one with at least 260rpm if you want to rife at that speed. 300rpm would be better. Those speeds are for 26" wheels. For different sized ones, you have tochange those speeds in proportion.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Probably the best solution to travelling at 20 mph on an ebike would be to use the motor to assist you upto 15mph, drop into a suitable gear and push a bit on the pedals..

20 mph is quite speedy on the best condition rds, could be worth getting an ebike and seeing how you go at 15mph first? I cant ride my bike at 15mph on many local roads that are 'regularly' maintained and private rds in my experience are not always as well maintained as public ones.. And quite prone to being topped with the worst in road rash toppings.

If you can maintain a safe 20mph on the private rds, how much time can you save compared to traveling at 15mph assuming 0 real pedal input?

But for cheap bikes check out argos, for some £300-400 sale items.. otherwise amazon should have a for £5-600 specials..

Ebikes are generally very modular with motors, batteries and control systems constituting the 3 major 'modules'.

replacing the control system (controller and display unit) is the most straightforward approach to derestriction, adding circa £80-100 So the more bolt on and less built in this is the easier the derestriction mod is. However since the control system is connected to every sensor the battery and motor, Fitting a conversion kit is just a bit more work in the long run,, your only avoiding the motor fit in reality.. And with a conversion you have more control over the comfort/performance of the donor bike. Yose power kits are circa £400 complete ..

KT brand are popular controllers as they are fully configurable without dealer s/w and come with a wide range of lcd display options to fit most aesthetics. google for "KT lcd03 manual pdf"
for a preview of the controller settings and the Chenglish used in the manuals.. ;)

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I wish my commute was mainly on private land like your commute is

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I will use it mostly on private land - I understand the issues relating to public liability, warranty etc.
'Mostly' on private land does not make it legal to use on the road of course.

Also appreciate that riding such a bike on the public road puts your driving license at risk and of prosecution for using a vehicle without the required insurance.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Hello,

I'm looking for a low-cost ready-to-go ebike, that is either rear hub or mid drive.
That can go ~20mph.

Yes, I can get a conversion kit, but wondering what's out there that involves little work.

I thought there might be bikes based Bafang or other e-drive manufactures, from smaller suppliers.

Or if not that easy, are there bikes that are known to just need a new motor controller etc.

Yet another illegal bike on the road, disgusting

Reactions: Brik

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Chap last night was tonking it along at a good 25mph+ , typically it was a DD rear kit on full throttle. Another one waiting to catche fire at some stage.
No tin hat or any other PPE as was trying to gain more speed by cowering down on to the bars.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

ggsddu

Just Joined
Aug 6, 2024
I discovered yesterday that Cyrusher has a new bike for £999. Maybe you'd be interested in this model?59238

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I discovered yesterday that Cyrusher has a new bike for £999. Maybe you'd be interested in this model?
500w is illegal in the UK. If OP doesn't care about the 15 mph, maybe they won't care about it, but it's not going to slip past the police easily, so that Cyrusher will soon go to the crusher.

Reactions: Ghost1951

Slinky

Just Joined
Jan 7, 2022
@saneagle @thelarkbox
Thanks for your thoughts

@Peter.Bridge @Waspy
Cheers, exactly the kind of brand/supplier I was looking for.
If anybody has any recommendations like Eleglide or electricprodirect.com
Turns out I'm looking for a women's bike!

@Saracen
Not that this is me in any way ;) ...
Whilst I respect those wishing to stick to every letter of the law.
IMO, the limit of 15mph is way too low.
Increasing to 18/19mph would get more cars off the streets. Which in turn is better overall, be it the environment, public safety, public health, traffic, people's finances ...

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
@saneagle @thelarkbox
Thanks for your thoughts

@Peter.Bridge @Waspy

@Saracen
Increasing to 18/19mph would get more cars off the streets. Which in turn is better for everybody, be it the environment, public safety, public health, traffic, people's finances ...
How heavy are you and what sort of hills?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
@saneagle @thelarkbox
Thanks for your thoughts

@Peter.Bridge @Waspy

@Saracen
Increasing to 18/19mph would get more cars off the streets. Which in turn is better for everybody, be it the environment, public safety, public health, traffic, people's finances ...
In respect of the speed other road users minds don't register the speed and certainly don't expect to see everyday cyclists going that fast.
Possibly a lycra /mamil on a sporting bike may be the exception.

For most cycles one will not see many topping 15mph, except your commuter or young fit rider.

Last edited:

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Dont get too hung up on speed i can go way faster then 20 on mine om top power level, practicality wise i spend 99.9 percent of the time in the lowest power setting tootling along so as not to be a danger to myself or others.
Saying that it is nice to be able to power up that one hill that regularly defeated my old ebike, put emphasis on comfort and safety, you wont regret it, good luck finding a bike that meets your requirements.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Your entitled to your opinion.

So you think would widespread law breaking would benefit everybody ?

I strongly suspect that if say the legal speed limit of pedelecs was increased it would have less than zero improvements for "everybody, be it the environment, public safety, public health, traffic, people's finances" but that roads and cycle paths would become a great deal more hazardous for people out walking.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Sure, I edited from 'everybody' to 'overall'... yeah I hear you maybe not so clear cut.
but anyways don't mean to turn this into what I assume to be a very discussed topic.

I've found
@saneagle
Normal hills, 11 stone
OK, power shouldn't be a problem. You can choose 36v or 48v, but if you want to sustain speeds of over 20 mph, 48v would be better.

Brik

Pedelecer
May 11, 2023
West Midlands
Hello,

That can go ~20mph.
New or second hand?
My old bike sounds like just the thing you are looking for, it's a bargain at £500.