Spy glasses capture bad driving.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I tried out my spy glasses today and like a fly to **** they picked up two bad pieces of passing.
What do you think ?
Both are reportable if only for the drivers to get a stern talking to, but don't think Sx police will do anything.

Not sure these glasses are going to much good for me as I don't tend to hold my head up straight and the views are too low.

I was too kind to driver with the name calling.
https://live.staticflickr.com/video/53893339011/78191a6895/1080p.mp4?s=eyJpIjo1Mzg5MzMzOTAxMSwiZSI6MTcyMjQ1MTQ2NCwicyI6IjBmMzcyZTExODJhOGE0OGJmM2QwYmEwYzIzMzI0MGY2ZGY2ZmMzYzgiLCJ2IjoxfQ

This one couldn't miss me giving him the full on bird as he approached and passed. Driver following wa sas bad and playinmg follow the leader , a right pair of morons. These two are destined to become killers behind the wheel.
poor maronic over taking | Flickr

Last edited:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Where are they round your waste?

These cheap things have been on the market, £30 from amazon for 20 years crap quality, even the most expensive are rubbish, way surpassed by a half decent camera

I had to downscaled this as I emailed it out, at 1080, and especially 2.5k it is mint

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Now you are being stupid Saracen , I have already said it is the way I hold my head .
I don't look up right and straight ahead but slightly down and ahead , the angle of the glasses point down too low.
All that matters is they can capture evidence and number plates , the quality otherwise matters not a slong as visually it is clear.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
At least I have the intelligence not to revert to the name calling of the lower classes :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Then buy a proper camera and mount it, 90% of yours is road, fat lot of good that is

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I tried out my spy glasses today and like a fly to **** they picked up two bad pieces of passing.
What do you think ?
Both are reportable if only for the drivers to get a stern talking to, but don't think Sx police will do anything.

Not sure these glasses are going to much good for me as I don't tend to hold my head up straight and the views are too low.

https://live.staticflickr.com/video/53893339011/78191a6895/1080p.mp4?s=eyJpIjo1Mzg5MzMzOTAxMSwiZSI6MTcyMjQ0NTk3MSwicyI6ImEyOGYyODA3MmVkZTBiYzRiZDFiMTU5MmVkMmQ2NjQ4OGUyMTZhNGQiLCJ2IjoxfQ

This one couldn't miss me giving him the full on bird as he approached and passed. Driver following wa sas bad and playinmg follow the leader , a right pair of morons. These two are destined to become killers behind the wheel.
I noticed the downward angle too, but on my CD bike the riding position is more upright, which gave a much better view. At least they caught the number plate, which is all you need for that sort of thing. I think they're pretty good for £16 with a decent memory card.

I've lost count of how many times I've been cut up like that one at the roundabout. They give you plenty of room as they initiate the overtake, nut then they take a straight line close to the curb. I try to prevent that by taking a much wider line until the road straightens or I'm past the corner.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Now you are being stupid Saracen , I have already said it is the way I hold my head .
I don't look up right and straight ahead but slightly down and ahead , the angle of the glasses point down too low.
All that matters is they can capture evidence and number plates , the quality otherwise matters not a slong as visually it is clear.
You could actually fit it on your helmet higher up so the camera angle would be better for recording cars and events. It might not even be a bad idea to dismantle the spectacles, take out the relevant parts and fit them to your crash hat. For the money, it would be no loss. Just incorporate the camera and the data card holder into your helmet after trying out for the best road view given how you hold your head.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0031.JPG

tbh i cant see the cam when i have it on but splat hat is 1.2kg as it is.

old hat with it on top, just watch the tree branches ;)

Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't wear tin hats.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What do you think ?

https://live.staticflickr.com/video/53893339011/78191a6895/1080p.mp4?s=eyJpIjo1Mzg5MzMzOTAxMSwiZSI6MTcyMjQ1MTQ2NCwicyI6IjBmMzcyZTExODJhOGE0OGJmM2QwYmEwYzIzMzI0MGY2ZGY2ZmMzYzgiLCJ2IjoxfQ

Drivers avoid my handlebar-end mounted Oxford, those incidents don't happen anymore. Drivers approaching the front of my lollipop veer off to avoid it too. I'd upload video of close passes, but they're boring so I delete them after my journey, because close passing doesn't happen anymore. The only reason I didn't delete this one, is because the passenger shouted joking "I COULD HARDLY SEE YOU COMING!" as the driver allowed me lots of space. As usual.

You'd have to try it to believe it. I didn't believe @WheezyRider's account of how effective at keeping vehicles away his 3D printed frame mounted version was, until I assembed and installed my GoPro mount handlebar-end mounted version.

A small elevation of angle under the nose bridge of your spy glasses could make enough of a difference to the camera's view - perhaps glue on some 5mm thickness black plastic, or dense sponge?

With dix that that about all over the roads, it's worth biting the bullet and wearing a helmet just to enable a better (or the same) camera to record the aforementioned and visually documented road dix. There may be a helmet adorned with honeycomb graphics and "DON'T BEE ROAD DIX!" printed on.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Drivers avoid my handlebar-end mounted Oxford, those incidents don't happen anymore. Drivers approaching the front of my lollipop veer off to avoid it too. I'd upload video of close passes, but they're boring so I delete them after my journey, because close passing doesn't happen anymore. The only reason I didn't delete this one, is because the passenger shouted joking "I COULD HARDLY SEE YOU COMING!" as the driver allowed me lots of space. As usual.

You'd have to try it to believe it. I didn't believe @WheezyRider's account of how effective at keeping vehicles away his 3D printed version was, until I assembed my GoPro mount mounted version.

View attachment 59122

A small elevation of angle under the nose bridge of your spy glasses could make enough of a difference to the camera's view - perhaps glue on some 5mm thickness black plastic, or dense sponge?
Great idea Guerney....

Like this you mean?

With lollipops sticking out sideways he could audition also for a job at the local circus to fill in any spare time.

:)

Maybe a combo Bowler Hat crash helmet and Groucho glasses....

• :D
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Maybe a combo Bowler Hat crash helmet and Groucho glasses....

You could angle the glasses any way you like on that hat. Bees wear those all the time, microscope to confirm. Is there a kevlar version? For the cycling helmet averse: perhaps the glasses could be sewn onto the forehead section of a tight fitting cap? Tight fitting, to avoid jiggly video.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Ghost1951

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I don't wear tin hats.
The handlebar could wear the glasses, glued onto a cheap GoPro handlebarbar mount. Video would be jiggly, but perhaps that wouldn't matter because there's much less motion blur on old-style cheap Chinese cameras.

Superglue + bicarbonate of soda sticks like stink, could be layered thick to form a hard plastic-like bond... but I'd do a test mounting of the glasses to the handlebar mount some other non-permanent but sturdy way first, to see if spying from the handlebar is viable.

Superglue + bicarbonate of soda the spy glasses to the flat plastic part of this?

...to bolt onto this? Then angle it up or down. Or you can install a GoPro arm with a ball joint, for left/right and other directions balls afford.

Tape and ziptie the glasses vertically to the handlebar stem or front of frame? They don't have to record horizontal video. I'm sure cops can angrily punch their monitors over to read number plates, or lie down over their desks, or ask their roid raging musclebound colleagues to hold them sideways.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
DSC_0031.JPG

tbh i cant see the cam when i have it on but splat hat is 1.2kg as it is.
Cool! But I have to ask, and it's not a problem for people with very small button-style noses... what stops the visor slipping down and smashing your nose (if you have a long nose) with the camera? Or does it not get that far, and only flop down to obscure your view? Or is that visor fixed? I guess I could superglue + bicarbonate of soda my flippy visor securely in place, but my GPH7B has a good vantage point on my chinguard.

but splat hat is 1.2kg as it is.
That's what you get when you protect your brain. If the bullet had passed through both Trump's ears, he would have escaped all injury.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You guys may like having your bike cluttered with crap all over the place and all the the handle bar space taken up with clutter but not for me.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You guys may like having your bike cluttered with crap all over the place and all the the handle bar space taken up with clutter but not for me.
Your spy camera has to angled up somehow to record a better view of perps - pad the nose bridge to angle it up a bit? Unfortunately that has practical limits, at some point the frame will obscure your view of the road.

All of the items on my handlebar are necessary for my uses, apart from the temporary powerbank headlight (to the right, on the Minoura handlebar extension, next to the big "2400LM" headlight, above the two smaller "1800LM" headlights, in front of the backward facing Bafang headlight which illuminates my hiviz blouson, next to the DPC18 display which isn't actually blank but looks that way because of my GPH7B's 1/384s shutter speed).

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Your spy camera has to angled up somehow to record a better view of perps - pad the nose bridge to angle it up a bit? Unfortunately that has practical limits, at some point the frame will obscure your view of the road.

All of the items on my handlebar are necessary for my uses, apart from the temporary powerbank headlight (to the right, on the Minoura handlebar extension, next to the big "2400LM" headlight, above the two smaller "1800LM" headlights, in front of the backward facing Bafang headlight which illuminates my hiviz blouson, next to the DPC18 display which isn't actually blank but looks that way because of my GPH7B's 1/384s shutter speed).

View attachment 59135
How necessary is the invisibility cloak? It's sort of on the handlebars.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
How necessary is the invisibility cloak? It's sort of on the handlebars.
That was burned away a long time ago. I am invisible no longer! :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Good. That'll make you easier to catch next time I chase you up that hill. I've been looking for you since the last time, but I never saw you. Now I know why.
I've had to rearrange the lights so that:

1. My bike folds neater for bus, train etc.

2. To make space for the phone holder.

3. Before I positioned all the lights in one line along the handlebar, my bike used to balance perfectly upside down, now it does again - the big "2400LM" headlight folds down out of the way (or the Minoura handlebar it's clamped to can be quickly unclipped), and the bike balances upside down on the two equally sized "1800LM" headlights and the saddle.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I've had to rearrange the lights so that:

1. My bike folds neater for bus, train etc.

2. To make space for the phone holder.

3. Before I positioned all the lights in one line along the handlebar, my bike used to balance perfectly upside down, now it does again - the big "2400LM" headlight folds down out of the way (or the Minoura handlebar it's clamped to can be quickly unclipped), and the bike balances upside down on the two equally sized "1800LM" headlights and the saddle.
Now that you've lost 3 1/2 stone, isn't there room to stick it up your jumper.