"Sodium-ion Battery packs for electric bikes"

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"SODIUM ION BATTERY PACKS - SAFER THAN LITHIUM

Engelhorn Tech introduces our first line of Sodium-ion Battery packs for electric bikes-skateboards."

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
"We Tried Unusual Sodium Ion Batteries in Our Motocompacto Type R

Sodium ion is all the rage now, but what's the deal with the emerging chemistry? "

"To test this idea out, we decided to make our own battery packs that can accept any variety of 18650-type cells."

Thanks for the Sodium battery links Lenny.

I have not seen them offered as cheaply as is mentioned in the last article. Nothing like. They were about £3 each on ebay when I looked the other day.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
At present, sodium-ion cells are almost 50% as energy and power dense as lithium-ion cells, meaning that a pack of equivalent performance will be around 200% larger/heavier.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
"UChicago Prof. Shirley Meng’s Laboratory for Energy Storage and Conversion creates world’s first anode-free sodium solid-state battery – a breakthrough in inexpensive, clean, fast-charging batteries"

During battery assembly the powder was densified under high pressure to form a solid current collector while maintaining a liquid-like contact with the electrolyte, enabling the low-cost and high-efficiency cycling that can push this game-changing technology forward.

“Sodium solid-state batteries are usually seen as a far-off-in-the-future technology, but we hope that this paper can invigorate more push into the sodium area by demonstrating that it can indeed work well, even better than the lithium version in some cases,” Deysher said.
If this is true, and it works, it could mean a revolution in battery technology.

I used to think a few years ago that we were at the limits of the practical physics and chemistry of battery development. We were certainly not. Very clever people keep coming up with very novel ideas like this and we might soon see the back of batteries depending on the very scarce element we now depend on.