Side swipped by a van.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Quite possibly lost, but No Entry signs frequently exist without advance warnings of any kind. Drivers are required to take note of and act upon any circular sign with a red surround ring since they indicate a prohibition.
In a perfect world everybody would take note and act accordingly. The trouble is, people are not robots or computers. Errors and omissions do sometimes happen in all walks of life.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In a perfect world everybody would take note and act accordingly. The trouble is, people are not robots or computers. Errors and omissions do sometimes happen in all walks of life.
Not in this case. The second driver who offended against the cyclist had the No Entry sign pointed out to him at his point of entry. His reaction was to just carry on with his intention to drive through the wrong way. No mistake, just contempt.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Not in this case. The second driver who offended against the cyclist had the No Entry sign pointed out to him at his point of entry. His reaction was to just carry on with his intention to drive through the wrong way. No mistake, just contempt.
Not wishing to defend him, he had already passed through the signs. Did he see them and maybe he thought what the hell is the cyclist going on about?

Either way, the real issue is why did he swerve his van into a cyclist? The van obviously didn't take control and do it it for him.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Not trying to sound negative here, but undertaking the blue car, then swerving back out in front of it into the right hand turn lane, then cutting back in again perhaps wasn't the best of manoeuvres to have carried if you do intend to take this to the police.

Off topic...Out of interest what camera have you got, as the image quality is really good.

Last edited:

Riche

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2011
Not trying to sound negative here, but undertaking the blue car, then swerving back out in front of it into the right hand turn lane, then cutting back in again perhaps wasn't the best of manoeuvres to have carried if you do intend to take this to the police.

Off topic...Out of interest what camera have you got, as the image quality is really good.
Yeah you are right of coarse swerving in and out of traffic is a no no but it was part of an attempt to try and catch up with the van and at least get a clean shot of the VRM. I wasn't to know I would be seeing them 2 miles later.

The camera is a Sony HDR AS15 action cam. filmed in 720p 60fps I think.

Rich

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
I would have liked to hear what was said:)
On a positive note, you escaped unharmed and if you have contacted the employers/police, i would expect they will have to account for their actions. Hopefully they won't lose their jobs but will learn to be more careful drivers.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
It seems Riche is highly prone to these events going on his previous posts. Reporting it to the police is not without risk as he rides a 500W bike capable of 29mph.
I always prefer to reach a conclusion after hearing both sides of the story

D

Deleted member 4366

It seems Riche is highly prone to these events going on his previous posts. Reporting it to the police is not without risk as he rides a 500W bike capable of 29mph.
If that's a 500w 29mph bike, his battery must be flat. Look at the speed!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just your opinion, I'd like to know the real reason. He could have easily kept up with his mate without swerving. There was enough room for a cyclist and a bus.
You confirm my opinion, he could indeed have avoided the cyclist, the fact he didn't showed his disregard for others as I posted.

Riche

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2011
Wrong and wrong... My bike has been legal for a long time..

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
You confirm my opinion, he could indeed have avoided the cyclist, the fact he didn't showed his disregard for others as I posted.
The question would still be why did he do what he did? Only the driver knows the answer to this.

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Yep I Know mate. I work with you and cycled with you. You bought a new 250 watt motor to be legal. The thing I look at is the big picture. If you would have clipped the curb and fell in the road and a car behind etc would have run over you, you would be a statistic. Glad you are still here to tell the tale. The reason my bike is in the shed for the last 3 months and given up cycling is because i would have dragged him out of the van and beat the living crap out of him (then deleting the video). How you kept your temper fair play to you. Anyway we got some electronic repairs to do.

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
or is it 200 watt who gives a f**k the point is we could have lost ya

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
News Flash "How do they do it?"

By being sheet drivers, that's how. ;)

--------------------

I for one will never eat another Cornish Premier Pasty again. The fact that they are hand crimped means nothing to me now.
I often crimp one out, but never use my hands.

Last edited:

jumpin

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Altrincham
No Entry means No Entry, advanced warning or not

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Most shared paths, quite sensibly, have a bye law speed limit of about 10 or 12mph.

It is perfectly reasonable for any cyclist to want to cycle faster than that, meaning it would be illegal for them to use the path.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I've just had a read through the thread and watched the video again. It does seem as though that second driver is intent on keeping in convoy with the first and if he is lost or unfamiliar with the area, his motivation to do so will be high causing him to take risks and disregard other road users.

I tend to move out from the kerb at those pinch points to make it impossible for vehicles to pass, moving quickly back in again immediately afterwards. It removes the temptation.

One thought which has occurred to me is would the rider have been safer on an ilegal 25 - 30 MPH machine? I think he probably would have been, which is interesting.

Last edited: