Review of £360 Argos E-Plus bike

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
After one week and about 30 miles, my bike is still running perfectly. The brakes have bedded in, so work a lot better, but the front one still growls a bit.
By the way - did you spot that post where I recounted having a low speed fall on the new folder?

The road was being flooded by an open water main stand pipe - probably an inch deep in flowing water, I came into the flood from a side path by some allotments at very low speed, made a sharp turn as I entered the road, leaned the bike slightly and just as I did, the speed control whammed in and spun the wheel enough to make the back wheel step out. It was literally a three mile an hour event, but I ended up with the bike on its side and me fending off the road with my right hand. Absolutely no harm done except I looked like a proper dick, sprawled on top of the bike cursing.

This event is a big black mark against the speed control system. It comes on hard and is quite unlike my other bike.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This event is a big black mark against the speed control system. It comes on hard and is quite unlike my other bike.
Sounds dangerous, why put up with that? Go BBS01B or KT WTF PLC! Bear in mind I have no experience of the latter, but they're always banging on about how wonderful KT is here. If it fits, BBS01B on 20" wheels is a heck of a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost1951

Garry Hallam

Pedelecer
May 18, 2024
I just ordered the £180 24v single speed eplus with 20" wheel non folder. Arrives tomorrow. Bad reviews but for £180 I will make up my own mind! Could use tool batteries on this one!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Sounds dangerous, why put up with that? Go BBS01B or KT WTF PLC! Bear in mind I have no experience of the latter, but they're always banging on about how wonderful KT is here. If it fits, BBS01B on 20" wheels is a heck of a lot of fun.
A BBS01 could be worse because it gives very high torque in low gears. It's the excessive torque that caused the problem.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A BBS01 could be worse because it gives very high torque in low gears. It's the excessive torque that caused the problem.
Nah, with firmware finangulation. Very smooth and controllable, my 20" wheeler is a joy to ride. Does everything but offroad, because it's a folding bike with small wheels and no suspension. But I'm a road warrior from Mad Max, so that's fine.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
By the way - did you spot that post where I recounted having a low speed fall on the new folder?

The road was being flooded by an open water main stand pipe - probably an inch deep in flowing water, I came into the flood from a side path by some allotments at very low speed, made a sharp turn as I entered the road, leaned the bike slightly and just as I did, the speed control whammed in and spun the wheel enough to make the back wheel step out. It was literally a three mile an hour event, but I ended up with the bike on its side and me fending off the road with my right hand. Absolutely no harm done except I looked like a proper dick, sprawled on top of the bike cursing.

The speed control is much more acceptable on the larger wheeled bikes because the torque is 30% less, so not nearly as jerky. Its always very noticeable on small-wheeled bikes. When I worked in the shop, many customers (mainly females) said that they were scared by the way the power surged in as soon as they pedalled on such bikes.

Reactions: Ghost1951 and Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Nah, with firmware finangulation. Very smooth and controllable, my 20" wheeler is a joy to ride.
Blissful ignorance, I envy you. Unfortunately, I took a bite from the forbidden fruit, so in my enlightened state I have much less choice.

Reactions: guerney

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Yes but especially the instant - full on application. The BBS01 comes on slowly and is configurable.

I would never add a BBS01 to this machine. I doubt I will alter any of t. It is what it is, and I knew what it was when I bought it. I am happy with what I got, even though it is, as expected, not the perfect ebiking solution.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
In another wet road situation on that folder, I will control when the power comes on with the brake lever. Slightly depressing the brake stops the motor from coming on while not preventing pedalling. What happened was a particular set of circumstances that ended with a low speed loss of control.

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I added a 50 mm riser bar, has made the bike much more comfortable. 31.8 clamp size,720 wide,50mm rise, £16.42 del

Still loving this bike

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I added a 50 mm riser bar, has made the bike much more comfortable. 31.8 clamp size,720 wide,50mm rise, £16.42 del

View attachment 59512

Still loving this bike
I am happy that you are enjoying this absolute bargain.

I too am really pleased with my cheaper, and slightly less ideal Argos bike - the 20" e-move folder. I think the key takeaway for me is to remember how little these bargain basement bikes cost us.

I rode mine twice yesterday, one trip up into the wilds, and one trip to the shops to buy half a gallon of milk, and the ingredients for a curry. These easily went into a smallish backpack. On both trips, i was grinning at what a bargain it was.

Is it a top class electric bike? No, it isnt. It cost me £252 delivered. :)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

View attachment 59512

Still loving this bike
It's a surprisingly well-sorted bike - sort of too good for the ridiculously low price, but it's also as good, if not better than some bikes costing over £1000.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Worth pointing out with our usual crap British weather around the corner, there's some quite big cable holes in the underside of the downtube that are likely to get caked up with crud and fill with water

Do yourself a favour and try and seal as best you can. I used gaffer tape, hopefully it'll keep the worst of winter out

Near the headset

Near the bottom bracket

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Worth pointing out with our usual crap British weather around the corner, there's some quite big cable holes in the underside of the downtube that are likely to get caked up with crud and fill with water

Do yourself a favour and try and seal as best you can. I used gaffer tape, hopefully it'll keep the worst of winter out

Near the headset
View attachment 59538

Near the bottom bracket

View attachment 59539
It needs mudguards for winter riding. The £10 Zefal ones should do the job nicely:

If the water gets in through the upper hole, it'll drain out the lower one, but if it goes in the lower one, which it will, is there a way out for it? It needs a drainhole in the BB shell, otherwise the BB will drown unless it's blocked off internally.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
If the water gets in through the upper hole, it'll drain out the lower one, but if it goes in the lower one, which it will, is there a way out for it? It needs a drainhole in the BB shell, otherwise the BB will drown unless it's blocked off internally.
Yep, that's what I was worried about. I can't see any drainage holes around the BB area so in time left unsealed those big holes with wet dripping cables going into them from the top will result in the BB rusting out from within.
I might try and build up some silicone sealant layers around the holes, it won't be perfect as the cables will flex a bit in use, but it'll keep the worst out. That and mudguards should do it

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Yep, that's what I was worried about. I can't see any drainage holes around the BB area so in time left unsealed those big holes with wet dripping cables going into them from the top will result in the BB rusting out from within.
I might try and build up some silicone sealant layers around the holes, it won't be perfect as the cables will flex a bit in use, but it'll keep the worst out. That and mudguards should do it
Would it be possible / sensible to drill a small drain hole in the bottom of the bottom bracket to allow water to get out?

I have an old Raleigh Superbe in green that used to develop a creaking bottom bracket. I didn't want to pull the cotters and get off the cranks and regrease the bearings, so I used to drop a couple of ccs of EP90 gear oil down the tube under the seat and this ran down to the bottom bracket and the creaking stopped. I found it necessary to do this about once every six months of riding. The thing relevant here is that the surplus oil used to drip out through the bearings over a day or two after the oiling, so I am wondering if water in the Argos bike BB would not just find its way out through the bearing.... I suppose it would depend on whether the BB bearings are fitted with an effective oil seal or not. The Raleigh had no such thing.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Would it be possible / sensible to drill a small drain hole in the bottom of the bottom bracket to allow water to get out?

I have an old Raleigh Superbe in green that used to develop a creaking bottom bracket. I didn't want to pull the cotters and get off the cranks and regrease the bearings, so I used to drop a couple of ccs of EP90 gear oil down the tube under the seat and this ran down to the bottom bracket and the creaking stopped. I found it necessary to do this about once every six months of riding. The thing relevant here is that the surplus oil used to drip out through the bearings over a day or two after the oiling, so I am wondering if water in the Argos bike BB would not just find its way out through the bearing.... I suppose it would depend on whether the BB bearings are fitted with an effective oil seal or not. The Raleigh had no such thing.
i WOULD as the not very proud owner of a bike with 2 x gapping holes atop its down tube for cable access and a drain hole ABOVE the bottom bracket that arrived with a VERY crusty pedal movement, it would delay the inevitable imho..