Reliable commuter machine + Sheffield Hills

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi All,

I've been commuting 9 miles to work for the past two years on regular bike. After being clipped by a van, having my first child on the way, and a continuing desire to live, I've been trying to find ways of improving my commute. I don't want to get a car, and thought an ebike was worth a go as it will help me tackle the Sheffield hills when I'm half asleep so I can concentrate more on the traffic and less on slogging up the hills.

According to Google my commute has the following hill profile, I do 495ft of climbing, and descend 295ft.
View attachment 13758

I've been lent a Rayleigh Motus for a month to try, via a local scheme (http://cycleboost.org/). I can't recommend cycleboost enough for encouraging people to either get cycling or continue cycling in the Sheffield, Rotherham, and Barnsley areas. I've been really impressed with the bike, it has knocked 15-20 mins off my commute (depending on direction of travel) and allows me to sit upright so I can eye-ball any half asleep driver behind me. However, I think this bike will be out of my price range (I'm looking to spend up to £1500, preferably on a work cycle scheme).

I'm 5ft 11", weigh the wrong side of 100kgs, but am otherwise reasonably fit. Finally, I'm strongly thinking of going for hub gears or a nuvinci hub as the dérailleur on my regular bike never seems to work properly and is forever dirty/worn (my current bike uses shimano tiagra stuff so not super cheap nor expensive, and I clean it weekly).

I've got a couple of bike I'm looking at, but I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on suitable bikes blind and see if they match my thinking!

Thanks in advance.
Frazer
Hi,the Eiger is not the strongest hill climber in the Kudos range....the Kudos Tornado (26")or Typhoon (29")have the BPM high torque motors,there are many members on this forum who have either of those bikes.
KudosDave