Read And Weep

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A motor that is the diameter of a dinner plate shouts "Illegal!".
Although I know nothing about these mysterious hub drive object things... I mean, recently it transpired there are L settings, to go with P C and W T F settings - this Neodrive rear hub motor looks big, but is manufacturer rated 250W:

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Although I know nothing about these mysterious hub drive object things... I mean, recently it transpired there are L settings, to go with P C and W T F settings - this Neodrive rear hub motor looks big, but is manufacturer rated 250W:

And the Giant Sync-drive motor, the Kalkhoff Xion, Heinzmann, Swiss-drive, Bionx and the others.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
And the Giant Sync-drive motor, the Kalkhoff Xion, Heinzmann, Swiss-drive, Bionx and the others.
Yes, good knowledge but I think it's pretty safe to say that we all know where this motor came from and it's none of those companies.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Yes, good knowledge but I think it's pretty safe to say that we all know where this motor came from and it's none of those companies.

The thing is that we know about this stuff. I can recognise an illegal ebike at 100 metres or more, but some policewoman, who is completely untechnical, can only go by simple rules. Most of the illegal riders have throttles, so PC plod, just lifts the backwheel and opens the throttle to see what speed shows on the LCD, or look on the motor to check that it doesn'tsay anything more than 250w. The chance of anyone getting caught on a bike that doesn’t show the speed, has no throttle and/or has no writing on the motor is pretty slim, but if the police do a special operation to catch them, there's a good chance that they'll have their resident expert, who knows enough to catch them, in which case you're probably going to be found guilty unless you can prove your innocence.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK

Had a double take moment ! NO cassette/freewheel or chain LOL - They are not even trying to go under the radar of a unrestricted pedal assist ebike - even PLOD can spot that easily !

Voltsnamps

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2023
If a whisper legal throttle ebike (or Grandfather rights ebike ) breaks it’s chain, can it be legally ridden without chain ? Does plod know or care ?
Are there more important things in the world ?

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
If a whisper legal throttle ebike (or Grandfather rights ebike ) breaks it’s chain, can it be legally ridden without chain ? Does plod know or care ?
While I have no time for contraptions like this example being raced around by children, or anyone else, I have a lot of sympathy for the highlighted comment.

On the other hand, I suppose you could say the same about shoplifting, or scamming income support, so where do we draw the line? This bike is ridiculously wrong and should not be on the road... Wringing hands about whether your ebike cuts off power at 15.6 or 16 miles an hour, or whether it has the right label on the motor, is not the same, and I don't think the police would be the least bit interested in those things, unless the rider was doing something ridiculous and they wanted to throw the book at him.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wisper certified bike certainly as the test is for test and go operation .
Grandfther rights then one is needing to prove the bike age.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
View attachment 58823
I REALLY hate to see police posturing in this macho, militaristic, American hard cop way. These guys have forgotten or never knew that here in the UK, police are supposed to police by the consent of the public. Look at the one on the right of the picture, holding himself to make the most of his muscles - like some brainless body builder thug. The dark glasses, the bulging biceps and the aggressive stance says all you need to know about them. You can guarantee that these two are examples of what we don't want and don't need in British policing.