[Q] Oxygen S-Cross MTB questions

ricostuart

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 28, 2017
Wiltshire
Hi all,

so new member here and I am in the process of looking for a starter ebike. After looking at a few I came across the Oxygen S-Cross MTB.

My plans are to use it as a daily commuter for a couple of miles each way, and some trails too. So, i've been looking hard at the specs of this bike, and I cannot confirm if it has hydraulic or cable operated disc brakes. It seems all sites that list it have stated that it has them both - so not clear! Many pics seem to show cable operated brakes.

So, if anyone has bought one can you confirm what ones they actually come with? Also, is there any reviews of it?

Thanks!

Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

The S-Cross MTB has hydraulic brakes, the S-Cross city or whatever it's called has cable brakes.

Whatever bike you get it doesn't cost much to change a cable brake to a hydraulic one, and it only takes about 5 minutes. It's got to be about the easiest improvement you can do a bike and it must also be the best bang-for-buck improvement. Everybody with a cable front disc should change it to a hydraulic one.

• Agree

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No need to buy adapters, just order /buy a prebled levere/caliper all in one so ne messing with any bleeding or oil/fluid to buy. Shimano basic style m395/445/446 hdb's are pretty well good for not much ££s.

• Agree

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
cool. well that makes life easier. is that just a simple caliper change or an adapter to the caliper?
I fitted this one. Can't fault it. Especially for £20.

http://www.jejamescycles.com/tektro-draco-1-hydraulic-disc-brake.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwx6TJBRCWtsiXpI7bhOYBEiQA1en3F6ZUnqXzXgxNMn9AQqkzvnKKZ3KiSCXx0XfcwNkz5ZQaAqCd8P8HAQ

• Comes supplied with Rotor, Mount and Bolts for a complete brake.
  • Ensure you order the correct size cable for front or back brakes. Obviously the front will be shorter and the back brake cable is longer.

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
I ride the S-Cross CB (cable disc brakes, smaller range rear cassettes, lower grade suspension forks compared to the MTB version). The CB is kitted out for a commute with rack and mudguards, and a REALLY neat integrated bell on the brake lever (small things...). In hindsight I'm not sure the commuter add-ons were worth it and I'd probably have been better off with the straight MTB version.

On these forums there have been a few people!e buying the S-Cross in any form and you can take the lack of discussion and feedback as evidence that most people are satisfied with their purchase.

In my case I feel I'm putting their warranty through its paces, I feel I'm there every 3 months or so. I've had:
Spokes replaces, wheel trued and tensioned (ended up have wheel rebuilt privately as didn't fix the issue)
Battery connector adjusted due to intermittent cut out
New frame from cracked down tube
The bike is currently showing a display communication error and I'm going to contact Oxygen again shortly.

I think I'm the exception. Oxygens service is good if brusk.
Personally, I'll buy a different brand next time, but I have seen people riding found on much older versions of their bikes so user experience does seem to vary.

The bike when working is quick (when derestricted, I don't recommend modifying the controller you gain most from simply adjusting the controller secret settings) and comfortable. I get 22mph max before I spin out, there are reports of 25mph on the MTB version.

• Useful

ricostuart

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 28, 2017
Wiltshire
Good points there! I'm wanting to learn some trial riding as well as commuting to work, so the MTB is definatly more suitable. Although I am concidering the Haibike SDuro HardSeven 4.0 too now ;)

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Good points there! I'm wanting to learn some trial riding as well as commuting to work, so the MTB is definatly more suitable. Although I am concidering the Haibike SDuro HardSeven 4.0 too now ;)
Check out Cube range they tended to be better value than Haibike.