Putting e-bike to bed for the duration of C-virus.

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
Wow. Is it always like this?

Perhaps more interestingly, I read an article about lithium batteries that suggested only a 2% loss of capacity after 1 year if kept at 0 degrees C at 40% charge. Practically, they suggested in the fridge, in a ziplock bag, with a bag of dessicant. Thoughts?

Here in Spain there is an instant 600 euro fine for going out without a good reason. Thousands have been fined, and many arrested. This is being enforced by the police and military police very strongly now as in the first week, many ignored the new law.

They say we cannot cycle in case we crash and take up a hospital bed. Of course this is nonsense, but seeing a cyclist go by from a balcony of a flat where people are confined will lead to people also wanting to go out, and the whole system of isolation is lost. But really, it is the fine that keeps people in (and the viral videos of the Guardia Civil beating up pedestrians out for a stroll).

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: ebiker99 and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
They say we cannot cycle in case we crash and take up a hospital bed.
that's a valid point but applies equally to getting from A to B by another transport like your car.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You do realise that a fortnight ago Italy had the same numbers of people dying each day from coronavirus as we are having now. Fast forward this past weekend and they had almost 800 dead in a single day.
Ah but they are not British. They don't have the Dunkirk spirit with it's willingness to be slaughtered. ;)

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
that's a valid point but applies equally to getting from A to B by another transport like your car.
Absolutely. Except coincidentally case below that we heard of in the few moments before I had time to reply .... We still plan an exercise and shopping trip by bike later today. 2m rule doesn't apply between members of a household, so by tandem.

We have just heard from our local community group that an elderly neighbour who loved the freedom of her e-bike was knocked to the ground by a dog in the Cathedral Close and so currently can't walk. Would not have happened that way if she had been walking or in car. People are rallying around as needed (no need for hospital).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Perhaps more interestingly, I read an article about lithium batteries that suggested only a 2% loss of capacity after 1 year if kept at 0 degrees C at 40% charge. Practically, they suggested in the fridge, in a ziplock bag, with a bag of dessicant. Thoughts?
Yes, that is correct, but not if it's taken in and out of such storage all the time. Only do it if it's to be unused for a very long period of several months.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
so why was the country not shut down when that happens?

will every virus from now on mean we go in to total lock down if not why?

the numbers do not add up when compared to how many ppl die in the uk anyway.

14000 ppl die every day in the uk anyway cv is not even at 0.01% yet so what you saying is in 3 weeks 60k will die every day pmsl.

no one has died from cv on its own and no one will and thats a fact all this is being done for is so governments can bring in there emergency powers and when that happens they will be able to throw you in a loony bin.

i doubt cv will kill more than swine flue and will cost billions if not trillions so bang goes paying the debt off ever.

and we will all pay the price then because the tax will go through the roof as some one has to pay for all this.

if 98000 ppl die from cv with other health problems then that is how many ppl die in the uk in 7 days anyway.

cant spin it like that on the news tho can you ;) cos you will look like a twat.
There you go again .. peddling lies... Read my previous post. I rarely call out a person as a lier, but since you did not respond to my earlier post, and then have subsequently posted at least two erroneous posts, I must.
The clue is that 14K people die every week in the UK from all various causes.
Incidentally except for falling into a cement mixer , few people die from a single cause. Old people don't die from being old, but from pneumonia, people don't die from Cancer , they die from starvation or pneumonia etc etc..

• Agree
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 25121

Trying to get back on track; we need to do what is sensible. Exercise is important and not doing any will cause more long term harm probably both physically and mentally. We know that cyclng, even with an ebike, improves fitness and heart/lung capacity. Good lung capacity will help if you are unfortunate enough to catch the virus so continuing to cycle must be good. I will continue to try to get out for a short (say 10 mile) ride most days. I have decided that my local country park is no longer suitable as I know I will pass within 1.5 metres of others who are out exercising on the same trails. I know the roads will be quieter though so I plan to ride the local roads rather than the country park. I also look forward to putting the bike in the back of the car and going further afield but only once this crisis has died down a bit.
Yes, we need to think of others when we're out cycling and plan our routes to minimise close contact, the expert recommendations and government guidelines are to keep at least 2m apart.

Well done Chris.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well im going to ride my bike around town for an hour lets see if i get arrested pmsl :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, we need to think of others when we're out cycling and plan our routes to minimise close contact, the expert recommendations and government guidelines are to keep at least 2m apart.
Where possible they've said.

As you posted, minimise close contact, not never.

D

Deleted member 25121

From Bosch's Battery Guide
Factors that shorten the service life:
▶Heavy-load use
▶Storage at over 30°C ambient temperature
▶Prolonged storage in a fully charged or fully discharged state
▶Parking the eBike in direct sunlight

Factors that extend the service life:
▶Low-load use
▶Storage at a temperature between 0 and 20°C
▶Storage at approx. 30 – 60% charge status
▶Parking the eBike in the shade or a cool location

I don't think it's necessary nor particularly desirable to store the battery in a fridge.

See page 27:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
well im going to ride my bike around town for an hour lets see if i get arrested pmsl :p
No reason to get arrested as long as the bike is legal and you do it sensibly; keep 2m away from all others as much as possible. As several of us have said, more sensible to choose routes that are pretty much deserted if at all possible -- maybe some less deserted ones are only reachable via busier ones.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't think it's necessary nor particularly desirable to store the battery in a fridge.
It can be desirable if out of use for a long period, particularly at higher charge levels, but not for shorter periods.

The refrigeration is advice from the Battery University, run by an industry expert, and the advice from Bosch that temperatures down to 0 degrees C extends life doesn't disagree.

Here's the chart for battery capacity retention under different charge and temperature conditions:

Battery Temperature storage chart.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You won't, I went in to town shopping and two plods on foot walked by not a word to anyone. Seen two plod cars as well and one cruising the Sainsbury super store carpark, probably just generally checking for anti social behaviour self control.
I have been out three times on bike, two for groceries and one to the network rail offices where I keep some bees to check they are alright. Also checked on my five other colonies, not too happy with them though as they certainly aren't obeying the 2 metre rule :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 25121

You won't, I went in to town shopping and two plods on foot walked by not a word to anyone. Seen two plod cars as well and one cruising the Sainsbury super store carpark, probably just generally checking for anti social behaviour self control.
I have been out three times on bike, two for groceries and one to the network rail offices where I keep some bees to check they are alright. Also checked on my five other colonies, not too happy with them though as they certainly aren't obeying the 2 metre rule :rolleyes:.
Are you related to soundwave? :rolleyes:

• Dislike
Reactions: Bobajob

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All of my rides are out of necessity.

Food shopping for me and two elderly people one over 70 and one who will be 95 next week, they are unable to get out at all I deliver the food to them.

Livestock can't be ignored (yes bees are part of the food chain and are livestock) they have to be checked (on a weekly basis) as part of any good husbandry practice, disease and food stores need checking as well as swarming. Now we are only a week or so away from the time when colonies increase in numbers big time and swarming becomes a big issue if livestock is not cared for. A strong colony can die of starvation within a week if for some reason stores are at critical level.

Also I am a key worker so no rest for the wicked, today is my day off but I am going in to work pm as have been asked to cover a van without a driver so people aren't disappointed, I will be out delivering up to 22.00 .

To be high and mighty and holier then thou must be awesome for likes of ebiker99 and others but they have no idea/reason of why or what others are doing it for. Generally it's called providing a service at times of need for those who are in need and aren't able too.....

D

Deleted member 25121

I have been out three times on bike, two for groceries and one to the network rail offices where I keep some bees to check they are alright.
TWO rides for groceries and one ride to your bees, couldn't you have taken 1 ride in a car?

Just a thought......

• Dislike
Reactions: Bobajob and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
they have no idea/reason of why or what others are doing it for. Generally it's called providing a service at times of need for those who are in need and aren't able too.....
I'm finding this very frustrating. Over the last 50 years I've always been in a position of helping others on my estate with all manner of things when they've needed it.

But now I can't, simply because of my age meaning others should officially be helping me, not that I need it. This morning I wanted to sign for and take in a parcel for a neighbour across from my block who was out.

But of course I couldn't, since it would mean meeting the courier close up and also my neighbour later, not to mention storing the parcel in my over 70s home.

So the courier is going to have to make two trips, which is also bad.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
TWO rides for groceries and one ride to your bees, couldn't you have taken 1 ride in a car?

Just a thought......
NO.

Chilled food in a car will start perish once out of the cold chain for more then 20/30 mins, I can ride/ park my bike easier then queuing for a space at a store.

My apiary access requires me carry equipment (like many apiary's do ) to the bees again my bike and also a trailer allows me to get the equipment right at the point of access where I need it next to the hives.

Again a trying to be smart/clever holier then thou doesn't work when you don't have a scooby of what is entailed.

That's it for now as I have to get ready to go to work to carry out an extra driving shift to help feed the nation, likely today will be a lot of elderly self isolators as they are now being prioritised by online groceries at the company I drive for.

Last edited: