puncture strategy?

daudi

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2011
Kent, UK
I'd like help with my puncture strategy. At the moment my strategy is:

1) Walk with the bike to the nearest pub.
2) Call for a taxi large enough for the bike and me.
3) Drink a pint of real ale while waiting for the taxi.

Having recently sung the praises of my tyres after getting a large screw in the front tyre, two days and about 40 miles later I got a puncture going down a dark lane in driving rain. The bike felt different but I could not see if I had a puncture and could not stop safely so I had to ride on for about half a mile. Once I found a pavement and street light I saw that it was completely flat.

I am in the process of repairing it now (the first time I've done this in about 30 years) and realise that I need a better way of dealing with punctures, especially if I get one on my way to, rather than from, work. The puncture was caused by small pieces of broken glass and I fear I might also have to replace the tyre.

I'd like to hear what people with more experience do. Do you carry puncture repair kits? Spare inner tubes? The problem I can see with taking a repair kit is that I'd also need a bowl of water to find the puncture. At the moment I think that I need to carry spare inner tubes and a torch so I can inspect the tyre in the dark.

Thanks.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Puntures usually are quite rare especially when you carry a repair kit etc "sods law".

I run with Kojaks which are less puncture resistant than Marathon Plus. Not sure what you are using.

I tend to carry a spare tube which saves trying to fix an inner tube on the side of the road. However this means you have to take the wheel off. Whatever you do make sure you get whatever caused the punture out the tyre before you inflate it again or it will just give you another punture. A decent pump is also essential. Note keeping you tyres well inflated also helps. I check mine about every two weeks or so.

Although I use wire beaded Kojaks I also carry a spare folding one on my commute as well. I carry a full repair tool kit and in the two years I have been commuting I think I have repaired one punture at work.

So sods law says carry a tube or repair kit and you will never need it :D

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
I tried to repair a puncture alongside the road in pouring rain once, just so i could use my puncture repair kit. It seemed like a good idea, me being a practical sort of person. After wasting about 1/2 hour getting wetter by the minute i remembered the spare tube buried within my toolkit. I fitted that and was back rolling in a couple minutes...doh!

daudi

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2011
Kent, UK
Thanks. I have Continental EcoContact tyres. Here's an image of the screw that got stuck in my tyre a few days ago but seemed to do no harm, followed by a shot of the damage it did to the tyre. I was really impressed that this did not caused a puncture.

The last image shows a small fragment of glass that caused the puncture and one next to it where I have already removed the glass.

The screw:

The damage the screw caused to the tyre (but this did not cause a puncture):

A fragment of glass that caused the puncture :

I have now removed all of the glass as far as I can see, have patched the two holes in the inner tube and will go for a test run tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

daudi

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2011
Kent, UK
I like the application of sod's law! I will now carry a puncture repair kit in order to apply this law.

I like the sound of the folding tyre, I have not heard of these. Can I literally fold it up and stuff it into my pannier (along with a spare inner tube), and leave it there until needed?

Or do I have the wrong end of the stick? Does the tyre fold so that it can be packed easily, or were you referring to a tyre for a folding bike?

Last edited:

tonyishuk

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2011
I have read that you can fill the tyres with solution that helps to seal smaller punctures. (slime ?)

Has anyone one any experience or recommendations

Rgds

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I like the sound of the folding tyre, I have not heard of these. Can I literally fold it up and stuff it into my pannier (along with a spare inner tube), and leave it there until needed?

Or do I have the wrong end of the stick? Does the tyre fold so that it can be packed easily, or were you referring to a tyre for a folding bike?
The punture proof tyres don't usually come in folded versions and are wire beaded. To be honest its unlikely you would damage them that bad as they are more robust.

The Kojaks are very thin and bald but have a kevlar lining. The cheaper ones I use have a wire bead and allthough they can be folded into 1/3rd size using this method the more expensive ones have a kevlar bead which means they can be folded much smaller and squashed down without damaging the bead.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Martyn2009

Just Joined
Nov 3, 2011
Bottles of ' Slime ' are available at almost every cycle shop it's a green goo that you pour into the inner tube and costs about £ 8 enough for four inner tubes . This CERTAINLY works on punctures caused by thorns - tire goes down so you pump it up and carry on - IT WORKS and i use it all the time so that i only have to repair the inner tube after about half a dozen punctures ...... I CANNOT RECCOMEND IT HIGHLY ENOUGH

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Mixed reviews on slime with the cost and it clogging up valves.

I carry a puncture repair kit and a few essential tools with me and a pump. So far I've never had to repair one. However I usually get a slow puncture with the marathon plus tires and usually wake up to find the bike tire is flat. I've then repaired a few tire but also buy a bulk of tubes just incase.

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Hi,

I had no punctures for almost a year and 5000 miles and then recently had 2 in quick succession. Both were in the front tyre thankfully as it is quick release and much easier to access than the back tyre.
The first puncture I tried to mend with different patches twice only to find that the patches leaked after a few days.

1 patch was self adhesive the 2nd needed glue from a tube. I think the relatively high tyre pressure of about 55psi forced the air through the patches. Eventually I replaced the inner tube.

About a week after that I got a hedge trimming thorn through the new inner tube and tried a Lidl pressurised repair can. It failed to repair the puncture going flat almost immediately.
I then fitted another new inner tube at a nearby pub which conveniently had outside picnic tables and lighting. Luckily I was going home after work so the hour it took to resolve didn't matter too much.
Due to this experience I always carry 2 spare inner tubes with me.
My back drive tyre is looking quite low of tread now and I am going to replace it with a Marathon Plus in the near future.

Barry.

Last edited:

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I have bought some of these non-continuous inner tubes for both my bikes:
Sidewinder Easy Fit Inner tube 24 & 26 Inch Wheels (they come in several sizes).
The idea is that you do not have to remove the wheel because the ends of the tube overlap, though you would have to cut the existing tube to get it out.

Since buying them I have (touch wood) not had a puncture (maybe the "reverse Sod's law" noted above or maybe the Marathon Plus tyres on the bike I've had the longest).

They are a clever idea, but I imagine that I would only use one of these tubes to get me home and not as a permanent replacement.​

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
You can buy a pressurised can of sealant that will effectively inflate the inner tube to what feels like 30psi and will set. It will last for a few hours so that you can get home. You will not be able to reuse the inner tube after using it but in the dark and pouring rain I think that would be the least of your worries! Don't confuse this with Slime which is a different thing altogether and works in a different way. I've found Slime does work but only up to a point.

Auldgit

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2009
Chester
I've found Slime a real nuisance. Clogs up the valves very efficiently but still the tyre deflates if punctured.
Tyre liners are OK (ish), but not too good in wide tyres. I've not found anything yet that gives total protection against flats. The sealant can sounds good, I carry one on my motorbike but not seen them for pushbike tyres - where did you buy it?? AG

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I use Marathon plus on all my bikes and have never had a puncture. Most of my riding is on farm tracks and wood tracks. I do carry a repair kit mainly because it goes in my tool kit which is in my Ortileb pannier.

I must just be lucky....and I wish I had never said that now.

Steve

daudi

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2011
Kent, UK
Tyre and inner tube sizes

I'm using mine for my commute and it involves going through all sorts of crap at the edge of the road. On the night that I got the puncture there was very heavy rain that created a raging river about a metre wide at the edge of the A230 so all sorts of lovely bits and pieces came my way. I ended up riding for about half a mile or so on a completely flat tyre so I think I have probably damaged the tyre wall and am now thinking of replacing the tyre and inner tube (I want to reduce the risk of a sudden blow out).

I'm now trying to get my head around tyre sizes. The wheel rim of my kalkhoff image says 622x21c. Looking at this page Tire Sizing Systems I think I need 700c tyres and am trying to figure out the width of the inner tubes and replacement tyres. If the width is 21c, do I try to match that size, or go for smaller so that it fits inside?

And to add to my confusion the rear wheel rim is 622x19c

(Sorry for the probably simple question... still learning)

Last edited: