Puch eMaxi Build

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Yes it does need something to take away the blandness, but I haven’t made up my mind about what decals or wrap to get yet.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes it does need something to take away the blandness, but I haven’t made up my mind about what decals or wrap to get yet.
If you find a decal you like and it's too small, a print outfit can enlarge and print it onto vinyl, if resolution is high enough. Clipart graphics (if you can find or have made the design you want) defined as vectors/polynomial curves can be scaled to any size and remain sharp. Someone I know printed on huge sheets of vinyl to cover his white formica board nightclub walls. Looks amazing.

Never this:

...or this, because there's nowhere sensible to hang furry dice. All manner of horrible things can happen to a blank canvas.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Here's a few to choose from:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I wouldn't want my more delicate regions anywhere near those raptor beaks.
A few weeks back, I returned home to hear strange noises coming from my wood burner stove. Opened the door and there was a jackdaw sitting in there, so I put my hand in to get him out and set him free. Little barsteward, then clamps nasty hooked beak on my finger like a pair of pliers and won't let go. I was bleeding before he was set free. I wish I had wrung his neck.

I realise he was just fighting his corner, but these kinds of birds are not friendly or nice. One day I saw one when I was walking along the burn in the undergrowth tearing at something. I went to look and he flew out. There was another young jackdaw trapped with some plant material wrapped around his leg and his brother had been trying to eat his head which was bleeding. I untangled his foot and he flew off, but have no doubt that if he could have, he'd have had a taste of my finger too. They are evil buggers.

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's pretty good, though I'd like to have seen it a bit further forward.
So would I, but the projecting battery box is in the way, there'd be stepped beaks. All manner of things are possible, but @AGS might require the crafting of a custom eagle head which looks like it's about to puke up a furball, or is intensely angry about being decapitated, as one would be.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Someone has copied my eMaxi, but mine is more reliable.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Get a negative black and white image of an old BSA engine printed onto vinyl wrap, stick that on? Could be any colour, or a full colour photo of an IC engine.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Not sure its the same Puch Maxi but many years ago my brother had one and when he went off to work I watched him pedal like mad to start the motor off. It seemed like he had to ride half way down the road before the motor would kick in. I used to find it quite amusing I remember. This thread has brought back a few nostalgic memories.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Get a negative black and white image of an old BSA engine printed onto vinyl wrap, stick that on? Could be any colour, or a full colour photo of an IC engine.

View attachment 59396

View attachment 59397
Better still, why not just buy an old classic motorbike if that is your thing. There are surprising numbers of them around and bikes like the BSA C15 are not expensive really. You can pick up a good one for about £2,500.

They are tax and mot exempt, or can be made so just by asking the DVLC to exempt them as historic machines.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Not sure its the same Puch Maxi but many years ago my brother had one and when he went off to work I watched him pedal like mad to start the motor off. It seemed like he had to ride half way down the road before the motor would kick in. I used to find it quite amusing I remember. This thread has brought back a few nostalgic memories.
Must have been badly out of fettle. Those old two strokes should just start straight away.

Of course there are lots of issues in worn, and neglected 2 stroke engines. Bad petrol, coked up spark plug, wrong spark gap, wrong points gap, dirty points, duff condenser in points, bad ht lead, low cylinder compression from advanced wear, leaking crank case oil seals and of course, a host of carburettor ills, such as bad float level, blocked jets, meddled with needle and jet settings.

Come to think of it, it's a wonder they ran at all, but amazingly, they ran very well - until they didn't.

In 1970 I made four trips from Newcastle to London up the A1, on an old James motorcycle with a 1950s Villiers 150cc two stroke engine. It was a ten hour journey and that thing never missed a beat. It just took a long time. I was slower than the trucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonzo Banana

esuark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
Love two strokes but can agree with what has been said above if not looked after. Always had Japanese two strokes apart from a KTM moped and an early 1966 Spanish Bultaco which was very agricultural when taken apart compared to the Japanese offerings.

Reactions: Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Love two strokes but can agree with what has been said above if not looked after. Always had Japanese two strokes apart from a KTM moped and an early 1966 Spanish Bultaco which was very agricultural when taken apart compared to the Japanese offerings.
Ha ha ha - I wouldn't go so far as to say that I love them. They were just a necessary evil back then when they were all I could afford. They really are stinking filthy things as far as air pollution goes, but I did make some smoke back in the day. Others may love them more..... :)

Advertisers