Prorider e wayfarer folder.

Brentbill

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 5, 2024
I have recently acquired the above bike fitted with a basic display of battery state. Single power pedal assist and throttle both live when battery switched on. Is it possible to upgrade to a variable assist or at least the ability to turn off the motor without having to turn off the battery key. Any ideas please

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have recently acquired the above bike fitted with a basic display of battery state. Single power pedal assist and throttle both live when battery switched on. Is it possible to upgrade to a variable assist or at least the ability to turn off the motor without having to turn off the battery key. Any ideas please
Yes. You can get a basic system for about £40 or a really nice one for about £80. All electrical parts on these sort of bikes are standard and can be mix-and-matched, though you might have to solder a few wires to make connectors match.

Brentbill

Apr 5, 2024
Yes. You can get a basic system for about £40 or a really nice one for about £80. All electrical parts on these sort of bikes are standard and can be mix-and-matched, though you might have to solder a few wires to make connectors match.
Are we talking just a display/button unit or that and a controller

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Are we talking just a display/button unit or that and a controller
The display and controller should always be bought together as a matched pair, with a few exceptions if you know about which are specifically compatible.

Brentbill

Apr 5, 2024
The display and controller should always be bought together as a matched pair, with a few exceptions if you know about which are specifically compatible.
I'll probably do that eventually but in the meantime could I wire in a switch on the handlebar to switch off/on the motor without having to use the key on the move. I'm thinking a switch across a brake switch but would appreciate any advice/suggestions.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'll probably do that eventually but in the meantime could I wire in a switch on the handlebar to switch off/on the motor without having to use the key on the move. I'm thinking a switch across a brake switch but would appreciate any advice/suggestions.
No. that wouldn't work. You need to switch off the controller. the brake switch only stops it from outputing power. Some controllers have "ignition switch wires", which you see as a pair of wires on a two pin connector, often orange and red or pink and red. A bridge is connected to short the wires, which switches it on. If you have that, you can connect a switch instead of the bridge.

If you're unsure about that, pull out the controller from the compartment under the battery and spread all the wires and connectors so that we can see every wire, then photograph it and post here. You can't put a switch on the battery wires other than the switch you already have.

Brentbill

Apr 5, 2024
Thanks for that you've been most helpful I'll have a look at the controller. If I get stuck I'll post a photo. Thanks again.