Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Twin motors ?. Check this offering from Yamaha.
I doubt its legal in the UK though..
View attachment 60263
Of course it isn't legal. You ought to know that as a point of fact let alone doubting it. You supplied the information yourself that it has 2000 watts of rated motor power. Do the sums.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0046_02.JPG
39.6mph :p

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There certainly is a problem for the motor trade, in part in the sheer reliability of e-cars, but it predates them a long way back into i.c. cars.

Remember the Mini, the real one in 1959, not the BMW fake. Service interval with oil and filter change at 3000 miles and a long list of things to attend to on every service. Just look at the way services simplified and their intervals extended over the years on i.c. cars and the big increases in high mileage reliablity over the following decades. Then compare those with today's EVs, for example my Leaf's schedule, every year or 18000 miles in the UK, but more honestly 24 months or 36000 miles in the more consumer aware USA. The base annual schedule is so simple on the current Leaf with only one physical action that Nissan UK at one point cut the service price from £125 to £99, causing a storm of protest from dealers.

Or this from Tesla:

"Your Tesla vehicle does not require annual maintenance or regular fluid changes. Check your owner's manual for latest maintenance recommendations for your vehicle."

All this is having its effect on the trade who are finding it ever more difficult to survive and we have a microcosm of the effect of the overall problem here in Croydon. Our most honest car repair business having three full time mechanics and one part time mechanic and MOT tester, all older long serving, threw in the towel and shut down completely by retiring, handing their customer base and phone number to another older man's honest business. But a year later he followed suit and retired, giving up in the face of disappearing viable business. Even when e-cars do need repair, there's a severe shortage of people with the necessary knowledge beyond just one make or model.

And of course it's not only the loss of maintenance and mechanical repairs, the accident repair business is suffering similarly as the proportion of accident write offs rapidly increases. Today's cars are not designed to be repaired after an accident, they are designed to preserve the passenger compartment in an accident instead, to the cost of all else.

You are on a very sticky wicket if you try to prove that any of today's cars are less reliable and more troublesome than formerly, especially EVs.
It's the cost of servicing that's partly to blame for the downturn in EV sales. People were thinking that there's nothing to service, and, as you say, the garages still need to make a living, but they're finding that the servicing is costing a lot more than their previous IC cars. One of the things that is often on the bill is replacement discs and calipers. One guy was even charged fo an oil change.

The main service interval for a Peugeot 208 EV is 16000 miles and costs £245. The service interval for my Diesel Peugeot van is 25,000 miles and costs £166, so the EV is quite a bit more expensive to service, without having to replace the brakes.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
It's the cost of servicing that's partly to blame for the downturn in EV sales. People were thinking that there's nothing to service, and, as you say, the garages still need to make a living, but they're finding that the servicing is costing a lot more than their previous IC cars. One of the things that is often on the bill is replacement discs and calipers. One guy was even charged fo an oil change.

The main service interval for a Peugeot 208 EV is 16000 miles and costs £245. The service interval for my Diesel Peugeot van is 25,000 miles and costs £166, so the EV is quite a bit more expensive to service, without having to replace the brakes.
Yeah but there is far far FAR more garages about for doing servicing, hence prices are less.
Say we shut 80% of them, do you think the cost would remain the same ?

Without someone pointing out that 'wah wah we've had electric bikes since 19 or 20th centuries', the current interest, at least to the masses is about 10 years old give or take, and not enough have taken up the mantle.
When the full banning of the majority of fossil fuel vehicles comes into effect(2035), and the councils have finalized the cycleways on the main roads, more workshop will spring up for fixing, and repairing ebike motors and batteries, and not only swopping out the bearings and cogs, but also repairing water damaged circuit boards.
This will push not only the technology, but the investment overall

Or at least thats what I'm hoping.

Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it took 10 years to work out how to recell a bosch bms and it can only be done if it is working and charging.

problem is they wont sell the parts not even the bearings to make them a throw away item they was never made to be repaired like shitmano not even peter will touch those things again.

when things use chips that need pairing to the device like apple crap even oem parts wont work without it.

lbs wants 50 quid to plug my bike in and im not allowed to buy the software not that you can do much with it anyway because it is just a dongle to connect to the bosch server.

get a Tesla and change every part with oem ones you can buy and try fit it ur self fkn no chance!

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
it took 10 years to work out how to recell a bosch bms and it can only be done if it is working and charging.

problem is they wont sell the parts not even the bearings to make them a throw away item they was never made to be repaired like shitmano not even peter will touch those things again.

when things use chips that need pairing to the device like apple crap even oem parts wont work without it.

lbs wants 50 quid to plug my bike in and im not allowed to buy the software not that you can do much with it anyway because it is just a dongle to connect to the bosch server.

get a Tesla and change every part with oem ones you can buy and try fit it ur self fkn no chance!

Again, I think all that will change as business, especially given competition in this growing market, will force companies like Bosch to offer spares, as they do already with their power tools, which is a gigantic market with equally huge degree of competition.

Theres something else thats about to change, though not bikey related but woodworking machinery orientated.
Currently, you can buy basic table saws from B&Q for under a hundred quid, and semi pro/trade ones for 450-800. But theres a company called Sawstop, which offers a saw with flesh sensing technology that makes it near impossible to amputate your fingers in a hand/blade accident.
Prior they were not available in the UK or Europe, but thats about to change, and they're going to offer a basic saw for 900 for the UK market.
This will force all the other makers - Bosch,Dewalt,Makita to follow suit, given many of their 'trade' saws are not far off that price, and the customer will be given the choice of buying Sawstop with its safety feature or saving a couple of hundred quid and risk amputating half their hand should an accident occur(which they do on a disturbingly regular basis)
If they don't, they risk losing their position in that market, and a massive downturn is sales, especially amongst the home hobby user right through to trade and even professions(other saws they will be offering at £1400-£3k(you might think thats a lot, but I paid £1200 for my saw, which is a higher end 'hobby' type) and given the choice will be snapping up a basic sawstop for home use as opposed to any other, no matter how good a deal it is.
Prior to selling here the only other company selling a saw with sawstop technology is Festool, which is owned by the same parent company as sawstop and that was going to be the one i was originally aiming to buy, which was £2100 for ther basic model.

So now it's F*** festool, im having a Sawstop, plus im saving £1200.

I see the same circumstances happening with ebikes, especially the higher end models built by the big companies. If someone is spending 3,4 or 5+ grand, and they're going to be better informed, they are going to choose the one which will given them what they want, and have options should it need to be repaired.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The motor trade has always been the same. They first learnt their dishonesty in the 1920s and to a large extent have never changed since.
Or rather? they inherited it from the horse trade.

Reactions: Woosh and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Elon Musk gives $1 million away each day to the US election to those who sign his petition.
I heard about it today on BBC2. I don't know what it's about but what do you think?
while they were discussing about inheritance tax on BBC2, I wonder how much the heirs of Elon Musk would pay.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Elon Musk gives $1 million away each day to the US election to those who sign his petition.
I heard about it today on BBC2. I don't know what it's about but what do you think?
while they were discussing about inheritance tax on BBC2, I wonder how much the heirs of Elon Musk would pay.
They probably don't have IHT in America - a guess only. I don't know.

I heard something about this Elon Musk move on the Today programme. Apparently he is trying to get more conservative minded people in Pennsylvania to register to vote. He has set up a free to enter one million dollar a day lottery, open to anyone who has registered to vote AND has signed a conservative minded pettition.

I'm no expert, but that looks pretty dodgy to me in terms of buying votes. It doesn't directly buy votes but it is an obvious election abuse in terms of its real effect.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Brilliant. Where do I sign to get the million dollars? I'll sign anything for that. I hope it works for him; however, it's nothing compared with what the dems get to promote Kamala through all the mainstream media, Facebook and Google. Do you still think she's going to win? It seems that they need to do a lot more cheating than they did last time to pull that off. I'm sure they have a plan, which nobody has thought of. Poor old Trump is always one step behind them in that respect. Already, the dems have managed to register more voters than there are residents in some states. I think that's a distraction from the real cheat they're going to do. They can't let him win, and they have the power to stop him.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Brilliant. Where do I sign to get the million dollars?
it's for the lucky few. I don't know if you'd qualify as they will see you as migrant and may think you'd eat their pets.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Do you still think she's going to win?
Yes, I think she will, although the bookies favour Trump to win at the moment.
If she wins, it will be a landslide, because the constrast in character is so big.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm sure they have a plan, which nobody has thought of. Poor old Trump is always one step behind them in that respect.
I don't know if Harris has a plan. She could do what Trump wanted Pence to do if Trump wins but Congress with maga majority can easily defeat her. Before that, if Trump loses, Georgia board of election can declare that they find some irregularities, Congress will then refer the issue to US Supreme Court where Trump will be declared winner.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I don't know if Harris has a plan. She could do what Trump wanted Pence to do if Trump wins but Congress with maga majority can easily defeat her. Before that, if Trump loses, Georgia board of election can declare that they find some irregularities, Congress will then refer the issue to US Supreme Court where Trump will be declared winner.
Of course they have a plan! The only way she's going to win is by cheating. Luckily, the dems have that down to a fine art, and we'll see their new method in a few weeks time. I predict that there's going to be a complete meltdown after the election. Nobody is going to accept the results. The cheat will be so big, that it's going to be implausible.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Of course they have a plan! The only way she's going to win is by cheating. Luckily, the dems have that down to a fine art, and we'll see their new method in a few weeks time. I predict that there's going to be a complete meltdown after the election. Nobody is going to accept the results. The cheat will be so big, that it's going to be implausible.
Only one side is offering $1million a day prize to try and get its potential voters to register. That's not cheating though - right?