Prices of the electricity we use to charge

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
here is no evidence trail that this woman was merely passing on false information that she thought could be true. The buck stops with her. The tweet & disinformation originated with her. She is the source of this disinformation.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
here is no evidence trail that this woman was merely passing on false information that she thought could be true. The buck stops with her. The tweet & disinformation originated with her. She is the source of this disinformation.
You seem to have forgotten or never knew that it is not up to her to prove her innocence, but for the prosecution to prove her guilt.

Unless, unknown to me she is some sort of Tommy Robinson activist, she will not be charged, and if she was, charged and prosecuted she would be found not guilty. Not knowing it was false is an absolute defence, as is not intending to cause harm when sending it.

The law - read it:

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I don't know the writer of this post, or anything about him, but I found what he had to say quite interesting.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
You seem to have forgotten or never knew that it is not up to her to prove her innocence, but for the prosecution to prove her guilt.

Unless, unknown to me she is some sort of Tommy Robinson activist, she will not be charged, and if she was, charged and prosecuted she would be found not guilty. Not knowing it was false is an absolute defence, as is not intending to cause harm when sending it.

The law - read it:

She is claiming that she saw it somewhere else & merely copied and pasted. She claimed she saw another individual share the name Ali Al-Shakti on Twitter but could not offer any proof. Nobody can find an earlier tweet. The evidence is that this malicious falsehood originated with her. She made it up & tweeted it without any thought for the consequences.

Her tweet was deleted an hour after it was posted but by that time disinformation had already been widely repeated by such malign social media "personalities" as 'Tommy Robinson' & Andrew Tate.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
She is claiming that she saw it somewhere else & merely copied and pasted. She claimed she saw another individual share the name Ali Al-Shakti on Twitter but could not offer any proof. Nobody can find an earlier tweet. The evidence is that this malicious falsehood originated with her. She made it up & tweeted it without any thought for the consequences.

Her tweet was deleted an hour after it was posted but by that time disinformation had already been widely repeated by such malign social media "personalities" as 'Tommy Robinson' & Andrew Tate.
So what?

The questions are; will she be charged; and was her arrest excessive?

See linked article: https://www.turbulenttimes.co.uk/news/front-page/law-and-order-state-harassment/

EDIT:

By the way, you still seem to think that this woman needs to prove her innocence. She certainly doesn't.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
On contrary. It would be very selfish of me, but price drop would also benefit society as a whole. I want house prices to go down. In my opinion it is criminal to keep them on so high level.

High house prices benefit only a very small percentage of house owners. I don't understand how people can't see that.
There are only two ways to make the prices of houses go down. The first is to build so many more that there is no demand for them, which would take many years. The second is to make it a pain to own one, like wealth tax, house tax, etc., which would push up rents, in which case they'd have to fix rents first, like they did in the 70s. The result was disastrous. It probably reduced house prices a bit, but there was no rental property on the market.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I agree with you. Earlier I was speculating on the thinking which has prevented a serious house building programme.
Answer is money.
They say there is no land to build houses on. It is not true. Look around - there is plenty of land. It is just hoarded by few % of landowners. Problem is houses are treated like ordinary commodity and prices must be kept high for few to get richer and richer. Cut the supply, keep high demand and prices will go up and up.

I would love to buy land and build my own house. I think some things should be protected like water, air, land, houses.

Mortgage is nothing else than a modern slavery contract signed willingly. High house prices will ensure it is long enough.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Think about what you're writing and try a bit of logic. If what you say is true, wouldn't those guys have been arrested for it too. Maybe the offence of reposting a made up name isn't an offence after all.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You can make illegal to own more than one or two houses. You can stop giving away council houses etc.
In that case there would be no houses to rent. Everybody would have to buy a house including disabled people and drug addicts and anybody else with no income.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Think about what you're writing and try a bit of logic. If what you say is true, wouldn't those guys have been arrested for it too.
Think about what you're writing and try a bit of logic. What I say is true so those guys would have been arrested for it too but they are not currently in the UK.

Tate is in Romania while Stephen Yaxley-Lennon is in Cyprus. I expect they will be arrested as soon as they set foot on British soil.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
In that case there would be no houses to rent. Everybody would have to buy a house including disabled people and drug addicts and anybody else with no income.
I meant stop selling council houses for stupid money which is pretty much giving them away.
People want to own houses, not to rent and pay mortgage for some fat landlord. After 20 or 30 years of renting people end up spending a fortune and are left with nothing. With low prices and affordable mortgages people could afford to own houses.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Ghost1951

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
So what?

The questions are; will she be charged; and was her arrest excessive?

See linked article: https://www.turbulenttimes.co.uk/news/front-page/law-and-order-state-harassment/
There are obvious racist/Islamophobic dog whistles in her tweet. Firstly the name 'Ali', secondly that he was an asylum seeker, thirdly that he arrived by boat & finally that he was on an MI6 watch list
She published the tweet. There is no earlier tweet mentioning any of the above. She cannot say where she copied & pasted this from. She has to take responsibility for the tweet & for the events that flowed from that tweet.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I can understand the resentment that I think I detect in that post by Az. Younger people have a very tough time in paying the costs of putting a roof over their heads, but his prescription would not solve the problem and never could have. The numbers of people with multiple houses are small, but the shortage created by thirty years of mass migration and low levels of building, has created a massive shortage of homes. Getting a few people to sell off their second home would do nothing to reduce prices, and as you say would ensure there was no possibility of renting either.

I was interested in Flecc's remarks the other day where he described the way people in and around London are living in illegal and very strange ways, vans in drives and gardens, containers, sheds, derelict buildings. All indicate an absolutely massive shortage of homes.

What many people fail to ask is why there was no massive shortage in the early 1990s and why houses and rents were then comparatively low. My answer is that back then, we had not had years of mass migration adding ten or eleven million people to our population. The left will NEVER countenance the absolutely obvious cause of the problem.

Moves begun by Osborne and added to later, have already created a stampede of landlords selling their property into the owner occupier market. This has led to people dependant on renting, having no idea where they will find a rental property and the scarcity of property for rent has led to a huge hike in rental costs. It is common for people seeking a rental property to bid up the rent, or offer other services to landlords such as agreeing to pay for improvements. I know someone who could only secure a rental property in Northumberland by offering to pay a year's rent in advance. They had been outbid on several properties by people who offered the landlord a significant amount more than had been asked for.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
There are obvious racist/Islamophobic dog whistles in her tweet. Firstly the name 'Ali', secondly that he was an asylum seeker, thirdly that he arrived by boat & finally that he was on an MI6 watch list
She published the tweet. There is no earlier tweet mentioning any of the above. She cannot say where she copied & pasted this from. She has to take responsibility for the tweet & forr the events that flowed from that tweet.
So say you. I say nonsense (like most of what you have said here over the last fortnight).

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Think about what you're writing and try a bit of logic. What I say is true so those guys would have been arrested for it too but they are not currently in the UK.

Tate is in Romania while Stephen Yaxley-Lennon is in Cyprus. I expect they will be arrested as soon as they set foot on British soil.
What about David Atherton, who is also reported as having retweeted it. He's still in the country and not arrested. Incidentally, I had edited that post to make it clearer what I meant.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I can understand the resentment that I think I detect in that post by Az. Younger people have a very tough time in paying the costs of putting a roof over their heads, but his prescription would not solve the problem and never could have. The numbers of people with multiple houses are small
Try to tell that to people here in Devon and Cornwall where locals are pushed out of the market by buyers from London who buy houses even without seeing them.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Try to tell that to people here in Devon and Cornwall where locals are pushed out of the market by buyers from London who buy houses even without seeing them.
Last week, I spent a few days near Keswick where similar holiday let pressures exist. I will be going there again next week. I was discussing with some friends the question of why in places like that it is absolutely impossible to get permission to build anything new. At the time we were walking from Portinscale where we were staying to Keswick - a walk of about a mile on a path with flat open fields either side. The scenery of the mountains was pretty good, but the land we walked through was just flat fields with a few sheep and some geese occupying it. The area is a massive and valuable environmental wilderness, but these fields were just wasted. I would force the planning department to develop suitable spaces like that for low cost housing. I would make most of it for rental and I would make the government pay for it and rent it to locals.

Developing these fields would have no impact on the amenity of the area and would have made available thousands of homes. If they were bound into covenants that they could not be sold into the holiday or second home market, they would solve the problem you refer to.

The repeal of Thatcher's Right to Buy legislation would be essential and should be done right now.

Last edited:

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
So say you. I say nonsense (like most of what you have said here over the last fortnight).
Why don't you think she should take responsibility for posting known racist/Islamophobic falsehoods that she would know could have the effect of inflaming racial hatred?

Reactions: Woosh