Prices have gone crazy for bare hubs + shipping + VAT - anyone know a good source?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
There is a system in place that afaik, any company like Yose, Dillenger, Bmsbattery & Pswpower rent warehouse space mainly down south or in Germany, there is a skeleton admin/order picking crew that pick from different companies daily and dispatch using local postal systems. It makes me wonder if Amazon & Sports direct thought that's a great idea lets nick it!

I am not convinced with Cashback sites, they will infest your computer, accounts & slow your phones and computers down with tracking cookies, bombard you with ads for stuff you may not need. One offered my £16 cashback on a random purchase then had the cheek to list the T&Cs where by it would cost me £15 per month to join. A note on free sites; if it's free then you are the product. I guess some folks don't mind these terms, but it's not for me I am far too frugal, not to mention skint.

Shamefully I will be limiting my online purchases to things that I will not return (unless it's faulty) as Paypal recently closed down the "returns on us" system where by for 15 returns a year they would refund the postage costs.
You can have phone apps and browser extensions for cashback sites but you can also just use them by going to their web page, signing in and then clicking to the site you want to purchase from. I use a adblocker on chrome so I'm not seeing adverts. They make their income by sharing the affiliated money they get from the site. So if aliexpress is giving 15% they might give you 11% etc. It's basically just means you get a share of the money that is available. When you click through to aliexpress from lets say a google search they get all the affiliate income or from another search engine if you make a purchase. There is always affiliate income to be had on most online stores although many don't allow affiliate income to go to cashback sites. Amazon for example rarely offer cashback to such sites or its very limited what you can purchase to get cashback but youtubers heavily use Amazon affiliate links to generate their income. I don't think its about making use of your data perhaps I am naïve to think that.

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
yamaha use uart so you can get 3rd party batts at a ok price.

or get this when it needs recelling.
I couldn't solder whatever I wanted to a Yamaha battery. I prefer having one bike which does everything I need... I was thinking of BBS01B converting a full sized bike of some sort for towing, because my V-brakes and tyre options weren't up to the job of stopping my folding bike when hauling a heavy trailer on steep downhill gravel paths next to a deep ravine - that's a regular and regularly scary towing route, but now that I have found a shortcut through a golf course which is built in the middle of a nature reserve, just the one bike will do.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
they dont even wear crash helmets round here and there not road legal nor are they cheap so they must be giving them the bikes to use as other wise it makes no sense.

id try and follow one but i cant keep up with that for long :(
How a Deliveroo e-bike rider made £295 in one (very long) day

https://www.reddit.com/r/deliveroos/comments/zovrlw

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
Has anyone made any recent purchases from BMS Battery? I'm hovering over pressing the go button on a hub motor. Cost is £64.40 plus £66.65 shipping, but the total in the shopping cart says "tax excl.". What are the likely extra charges and who do I pay them to? Shipper is stated as UPS.
I've bought small items from China before via ebay and direct from Yosepower and they have turned up with no extra charges. Somehow I don't think this will be the case with BMS Battery?

Reactions: D C

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
UPS will send a tax invoice to you before the items are released from UK customs.
So expect 20% vat plus a handling fee .

Don't pay the invoice and the goods won't be delivered.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Has anyone made any recent purchases from BMS Battery? I'm hovering over pressing the go button on a hub motor. Cost is £64.40 plus £66.65 shipping, but the total in the shopping cart says "tax excl.". What are the likely extra charges and who do I pay them to? Shipper is stated as UPS.
I've bought small items from China before via ebay and direct from Yosepower and they have turned up with no extra charges. Somehow I don't think this will be the case with BMS Battery?
It's a lottery whether the customs will be bothered to charge you the tax. It seems to depend on the courrier, but it changes on a daily basis. Anyway, you should budget to pay the duty, and if you get away with it, be happy. You don't have to do anything. either your stuff will get deleivered or you'll get a notification from a shipping company that you have to pay something. They might try to charge you £10 for arranging the payment to customs, but you have the option to pay it directly and avoid their charges. in that case, they might want evidence (a receipt) that you paid.

Another thing to look out for is that the BMSBattery shipping calculation doesn't always work correctly, especially if you order multiple items or built wheels. In that case, you can get a request for extra shipping money after you place your order. It's not a scam. It's just the way it works. You can cancel at that point if you want, but the overall cost used to be still worth it. I don't know whether it's the same today.

To make it worthwhile shopping with BMSBattery, it's always worth buying multiple items. Small things like controllers, throttles, pedal sensors, etc, can be put in the same box, so are very cheap when there's no shipping cost, which makes the overall order cost much more tolerable. Apart from that, you have to realise that when you order specific items to meet your specific needs, it's going to be more expensive that buying the cheapo all-purpose Ebay stuff.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If all the Chinese sellers behave correctly like bmsbattery, I would be more than happy to supply motors, spokes, rims and other components separately and at competitive prices. It's companies like PSWPower selling goods at near wholesale price then underdeclare the value of the purchase to defraud HMRC that price me out of the market and because they are based in China, there is nothing I can do about it. At the end of the day, everybody loses when companies like PSWPower gobble up the business.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Once upon a time one use to be able to log on to the elifebike .com sister website where they listed hubs and other gear for sale but this doesn't happen now. One is simply redirected to the PSWPower main page.
Elifebike have a presence on ebay but don't sell as many differing hubs as they used to.

Last edited:

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
I've spotted that. They are listing MXUS XF07 on ebay in £UK with shipping from Germany.
Tempted, but I'm leaning towards BMSbattery's Q100H.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Topbikekit have a few for variety.
Bought my 1.6kg Bafang G370 from them, a delightful small motor for 100mm forks.

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
Topbikekit have a few for variety.
Bought my 1.6kg Bafang G370 from them, a delightful small motor for 100mm forks.
It does look good, but I think a 201rpm motor might be a bit too slow for general use in a 26" wheel? I would imagine it climbs well though. Price with shipping, VAT etc. is a little high for me, especially as I need to factor in about £50 for a rim and spokes. Of course, all of this would be irelevant if I could satisfy my dear wife's main criteria, but I can't find a silver front hub anywhere - in any configuration!:rolleyes:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Don't pay the invoice and the goods won't be delivered
I would add a caveat to that, there was, horror stories of folks not getting refunds if the items where refused due to none payment of taxes, as with faulty goods you could argue with your card provider for a charge back, but because its overseas, our consumer laws are not enforceable.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
It's companies like PSWPower selling goods at near wholesale price then underdeclare the value of the purchase to defraud HMRC that price me out of the market and because they are based in China, there is nothing I can do about it.
I do wonder how much of the VAT that sites such as Aliexpress charge ends up in UK tax coffers.

Maybe that companies in the far East that can maybe increase their prices by 20% is yet another of the many benefits of Brexit.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I do wonder how much of the VAT that sites such as Aliexpress charge ends up in UK tax coffers.
Compared to ebay, those AliExpress prices sure do look cheap, until they add 20% at checkout! :mad: Ebay's quoted prices include VAT.

• Agree

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Aliexpress charge ends up in UK tax coffers.
Most of my charges to Aliexpress UK LTD or something similar with UK in the name, however I did ponder this myself.

Fasttech sadly no longer with us RIP 2022, did everything from the sublime to the useful and just after the start of 2020 they were adding 20%, then I got a Royal mail bill for £10, unpaid tax + RM charge, when it arrived it still had the yellow sticker of doom on it, lucky they didn't open it and went on the declaration value other wise it may have been a little more...

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
MXUS XF07
Front, I have the pswpower on 48v in black it's a little lack luster on 36v but still good for 15-20 mile runs on a small ah