Police Officers, The Law & eBikes, funny video attached.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Guys,

Just saw this video on line and it made me laugh a little.
Although it's not a eBike rider, it reminds me of when I was at a show last year..
Where I had to explain the law behind eBikes being used on public roads to a local officer.
The Legislation behind eBikes seems to be a bit of the unknown for a lot of officers.

Anyway here's the video.
The guy in it 'Danny' get completely off the hook by confusing 'PC Stout' some what, after jumping a red light.

How to P*ss off a Cop - YouTube

Regards
Martin

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Those videos have been floating around for a while and whilst they can be amusing, quite frankly I have little respect for those who deliberately seek to make fools of others.

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
PS I should add that I am quite able to make a fool of myself without the assistance of another :p

I think what I dislike here is the fact that people video it and then display it for the world to see. I am all for a little banter amongst friends.

Jerry

Last edited:

Quark

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 2, 2013
Although I agree with the above, I think that if Police officers, the so called trusted officers that uphold our laws decide they can behave in any manner they wish, because after all they ARE the law, then filming them and displaying it to the tax paying public and hopefully they're superiors, may not be a bad idea if it makes them think twice next time!

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
This is probably being used as a psycle-cop training video by now: If it's not it should be.

I wouldn't fancy the chances of the next rider stopped for an infringement.

Probably be in the back of a van before he/she can say "I'm not.....".

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The police officer made the mistake of responding to the provocation, something he will have been advised on since then. Apart from either giving a ticket or warning the rider about jumping the lights, all he needed to have said was that the rider should argue in the proper place, in court.

Spinalot

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Sheffield, United Kingdom
First time I saw this video made me cringe. The guy who got stopped is nothing but an idiot. He broke the law and then proceeded to make the officer have a hard time. Simply because he wanted to get away with it. I think the officer showed great restraint. If it had been me I would have called for a wagon and thrown the stupid punk in the back of it.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
The police officer made the mistake of responding to the provocation, something he will have been advised on since then. Apart from either giving a ticket or warning the rider about jumping the lights, all he needed to have said was that the rider should argue in the proper place, in court.
Interesting point, though - There's no way the copper could get him to court without a name & address & those weren't forthcoming: No registration number to trace.
Short of restraining the rider & calling for a van, he was stuffed.
Grabbing for the camera was definitely not a smart choice, though.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Hah. In some parts of the country you try refusing to tell a copper your name and address after he's seen you commit an offence.
That cyclist was bloody lucky the cop didn't throw him to the ground and cuff him, then call for the wagon.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I don't find the video funny, I find it disrespectful and rude towards the Police officer.

flatbat

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2012
Western part of West Yorkshire
Yes but did the cyclist break the law by riding a red light?
Does the RTA apply to cyclists? Can't be done for speeding so perhaps not.
Then assaulting the cyclist - unforgiveable but sadly not unbelievable.
Perhaps PC should get a list of the donglers and make a start there :)

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
I bet he goes down a storm, holding court in the Student Union Bar. He sounds old enough to know better but comes across as a complete knob. Chances are if he'd have been a little more humble about the law that he broke, I'm sure he would have been let on his way.

However he acted like a twat, therefore he should expect to be treated like one!

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Does the RTA apply to cyclists? Can't be done for speeding so perhaps not.
Then assaulting the cyclist - unforgiveable but sadly not unbelievable.
Perhaps PC should get a list of the donglers and make a start there :)
"Being an ass'ole" is good enough for a charge. Jeez, when I were a lad they made things up as they went along and nobody could prove different. Oops, I accidentally stood on your camera, sorry lad. What memory card is that, then?

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
And what's this packet of white powder you just dropped ..... Your f'ing nicked me old beauty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Doesn't matter if he broke the law or not - no excuse for being a ****!

I freely admit to showing a blatant disregard for a fair few of the stupid laws we have in this country (ebike laws being one of them) but that does not mean I do not have regard for the Police - and if ever I was challenged by a Police officer whilst disregarding one of those silly laws I would respond with due respect and dignity.

You discuss points of law with magistrates, not with Police officers at the side of the road.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
A total lack of respect for the law? I'm not so sure... Although there have been some proposals that cyclists be permitted to make left turns at red lights, it is not legal for a cyclist to run a red light. Under the Road Traffic Act 1988, cyclists must obey all traffic signs and signals. A cyclist can be fined for failing to do so.
I think there was an equal amount of stupid from both parties. The perp should not have played the cop baiting game and I suspect that was his mission (although he did know his rights), the cop should have dealt with it using a bit more tact. Maybe PC Stout should have called in to get clarification of "the law".
Judge Dredd would know what to do ;)