Pity the colour blind!

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I'm having to drag stray passers-by in from the street - 'please tell me, is this tiny light glowing red or green?' - tell, you, I get some very odd looks.
Perhaps, somewhere outside the nine circles of hell (clue: M25 is one!) there is some magical and effective charging device that bleeps, plays "No Direction Home" or simply glows blue or yellow to indicate a fully charged battery?

Am I the only person so afflicted?

... goes off to eat cake and sulk. :-(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Solution. Get hold of a piece of deep red transparent plastic or glass, a rear light lens for example. Hold it over the LED. If you see light it's showing red. If you don't see any light or a mere glimmer, it's green.

Last edited:

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Solution. Get hold of a piece of deep red transparent plastic or glass, a rear light lens for example. Hold it over the LED. If you see light it's showing red. If you don't see any light or a mere glimmer, it's green.
Flecc - you never cease to amaze me! How can I have survived 76 years and not known this! I'll delve into the bit-box presently!
May I be the first to wish you a very Happy Christmas! (Other happy festivals are available ...)

Tom.

Dreamer

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2012
Bonny Scotland
Or check see if the fan is turning on the charger, if it has one.

If it hasn't, feel the charger see if it is hot or cold. Not perfect but quick and easy.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Colour blindness is probably more common than people think, especially in men. Just after leaving school, I joined the Post Office Engineering Department. As part of the interview, I had to take a test for colour blindness. The guy showed me a multicore cable of 5 strands , and I had to name the colour of the insulation on each strand. The colours were, Blue, Orange, green Brown and Grey. But for some reason you had to refer to the grey as "Slate". I passed that test. However, later in life, I took a more sophisticated colour blindness test. This test consisted of a number of pages of what looked like patterned wallpaper, and on each page was a number between 1 and 9 which was picked out in a subtly different colour. One page appeared to me to have no such number, so I was told I had failed the test. I was surprised, as I can discern all the colours of the rainbow. Which colour could I not see? Don`t ask me, I`m colour blind! Colour blindness was unimportant if you lived before 1950, as The world was black and white in those days, as you can tell by looking at old films.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc - you never cease to amaze me! How can I have survived 76 years and not known this! I'll delve into the bit-box presently!
May I be the first to wish you a very Happy Christmas! (Other happy festivals are available ...)

Tom.
Thanks Tom. One of the branches of engineering I've been in was optical engineering, so colour filter behaviour is familiar to me, also to b/w photographers.

paulhipwood

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2012
Halesowen
I understand I am one of the 8% of colour blind men.

I see lights others see red lights or green lights. I sometimes do not beleive them lol

When I was in manufacturing I got our programmers to flash the lights when they were red.
I could then fault find much easier.

Never tried the red lens trick, not too sure if I would get funny looks.

regards
paul

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@Paulhipwood. So am I right in thinking that when you look at traffic lights, you look for the position of the light in the cluster, rather than its colour?

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
@Paulhipwood. So am I right in thinking that when you look at traffic lights, you look for the position of the light in the cluster, rather than its colour?
The green is, I'm told, a bluey green - looks blue to me. So I go on the blue. Yes, the position of the light in the cluster is relevant too. B&W films are good - I opted out of the Adobe (?) course when they started to talk about colour balance and that sort of thing. My world is much less complicated!
Just goes to show I hadn't a clue what I was on about when I sang the "Red Flag" in the olden days!
The older I get the less I know that I know ...

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
The older I get the less I know that I know ...
Blimey Tom! You sounded just like Donald Rumsfeld then.....

.......(The message is that there are no "knowns." There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.)

Indalo

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Although many don't like Rumsfeld, what he said is important. So many know-alls are quite unaware of it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although many don't like Rumsfeld, what he said is important. So many know-alls are quite unaware of it.
Very true. What I say of myself is true for everyone, if only they but knew it:

"For every one thing I know, the number of things I don't know is almost infinite".

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
A little harmless fun for all ...

Colour discrimination test

Note that this tests your colour discrimination, not your colour vision per se. It isn't the full version of the test, and it's a lot easier on a properly calibrated monitor in low ambient light.

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Best I could do just now ...

score.jpg

Last time the Lady Wife did this, she got a 10! But she is a lot younger than me ...

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Colour discrimination test

Note that this tests your colour discrimination, not your colour vision per se. It isn't the full version of the test, and it's a lot easier on a properly calibrated monitor in low ambient light.[/QUOTE]

0 = Perfect Score. I scored 1062. I would probably have done better with my eyes closed! Maybe there are things I don't know I know ... Nurse! Cake. Now!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
35 for me......Im blaming the wine.....

Lynda :)