Pendleton Somerby - how to fix broken cables at rear hub

AndiB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 4, 2023
Hi,
Does anyone here know how to remove the cassette on a Pendleton somerby and/or how to fix broken cabling near the axel?

My partner's Somerby ebike stopped assisting today. Battery is charged, controller turns on, but no support when pedaling she said.

There is a "hall sensor" issue indicated (high led flashes), and a subsequent check of cabling revealed that the axel thread had worn through the cable (see photo).

I'm wondering if I can replace the cable? Or splice a new one on at the broken section?
But to do so I need to get to the bit under the cassette. And that is a puzzle: how does it come off? None of my tools fit... Plus it says freewheel on it, yet looks like a cassette with spacers etc.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Needs a chain whip tool to remove ACW doing so, firmly holding the wheel. Freewheel is a screw on gear.
If cable is damaged tight to the hollow axle then repair needs to be not a repair but complete motor cable renewel so means opening the hub to try and get the cable thru, not an easy job but can be done.

Last edited:

AndiB

Feb 4, 2023
Thanks Nealh!
Will give that a go tomorrow. I was convinced it's a cassette with lock ring... Good to be able to ask and learn!

The cable damage is right by the hollow axel, so will need to replace it.
Do you by chance know if a) replacement cables exist and b) who sells them?

Thanks!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi,
Does anyone here know how to remove the cassette on a Pendleton somerby and/or how to fix broken cabling near the axel?

My partner's Somerby ebike stopped assisting today. Battery is charged, controller turns on, but no support when pedaling she said.

There is a "hall sensor" issue indicated (high led flashes), and a subsequent check of cabling revealed that the axel thread had worn through the cable (see photo).

I'm wondering if I can replace the cable? Or splice a new one on at the broken section?
But to do so I need to get to the bit under the cassette. And that is a puzzle: how does it come off? None of my tools fit... Plus it says freewheel on it, yet looks like a cassette with spacers etc.

Any help is appreciated!
It's a freewheel, so you need a freewheel tool with a large hole for the axle. This is the one you want. You don't need a chain-whip for a freewheel.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
That looks like a pretty brutal struggle to me.

Note to self: [Check partner's Somersby cable this morning before we go out for a ride.]

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks everyone Grin video is not very realistic regarding the cable replacement. Their motors are different to a Pendleton one. The only problem with the Penleton is to get the wires out of the axle on the inside of the motor. I would try this:

Cut the replacement cable in such a way that the 3 phase wires are projecting a couple of centimeters. All the other wires must be cut flush with the outer insulation very neatly;
Cut the solder joints on the inside and pull the wire through the axle so that you have enough length of good phase wire to solder to;
Cut and cleanup the old motor cable on the outside and solder the 3 phase wires to those in the replacement cable;
Put some suitable lubricant on the cable;
Pull the cable through on the inside. Hopefully it'll turn the right angle corner on the inside.

AndiB

Feb 4, 2023
@Ghost1951 I think it was caused by poor rear hub installation: there's a notch in the axel thread for the cable to bend nicely. But the notch was pointing straight up and so the cable was bent over the axel edge which then wore through the insulation and cut some of the wires :(

@saneagle
First thing is to get the freewheel off. After that I can hopefully post some more pictures and a progress report...

Reactions: Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Yeah - I was wondering why he didn't lubricate the cable a bit. I'd have thought it would have made the process easier, but of course, what do I know - I've never done this. Lube certainly works on tight tyres. I've replaced a 125cc motor bike tyre with smallish levers and used lube on that which made it a lot easier to slide over the rim.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
@Ghost1951 I think it was caused by poor rear hub installation: there's a notch in the axel thread for the cable to bend nicely. But the notch was pointing straight up and so the cable was bent over the axel edge which then wore through the insulation and cut some of the wires :(

@saneagle
First thing is to get the freewheel off. After that I can hopefully post some more pictures and a progress report...
You didn't bid for that freewheel tool that I linked. You could have had it for £3.75. Where are you going to get one from now?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Extortionate ! When I changed over to that freewheel you suggested with the 11t smallest gear I bought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186070231355 - Freewheel came off very easily
That's a cassette tool with a picture of it inserted into a cassette!

There is a freewheel equivalent, but it's short reach. For DNP freewheels, you need the long-reach one that I suggested. It's made by DNP.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I've sometimes regretted buying cheap tools on ebay. Just before I got my current converted ebike from Billy Milburn near Durham, I was considering converting an old mountain bike I had. I bought one of those crank puller tools, but it was made of Chinesium and the bloody thing tore the threads off rather than pull the crank out. Waste of money completely. Had a similar experience when I bought a universal wiper arm puller to remove a wiper arm when the link under the bonnet came apart and I needed to replace it. That broke too before the arm came off. I think I am done wth buying bargain tools that are not fit for purpose, or only stand one use.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
As I said, that type of tool works on some freewheels, but not DNP ones because DNP have the spline is on the back side, not the front like the one in your photo, and the tool doesn'treach it sufficiently. You always want the option of fitting a DNP freewheel for more relaxed top gear pedalling.
The replacement one was a DNP one I think (with 11t top gear) - I put it on using that tool !

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The replacement one was a DNP one I think (with 11t top gear) - I put it on using that tool !
You don't need a tool to put a freewheel on. It's getting it off that's the problem. If it's tight, the splines on your tool will strip because they don't go in far enough. The DNP tool is long for a reason.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

AndiB

Feb 4, 2023
You didn't bid for that freewheel tool that I linked. You could have had it for £3.75. Where are you going to get one from now?
Sorry, didn't realize you were selling that. Managed to source one from a colleague, but will come back if that's not sufficient.

AndiB

Feb 4, 2023
Thanks everyone Grin video is not very realistic regarding the cable replacement. Their motors are different to a Pendleton one. The only problem with the Penleton is to get the wires out of the axle on the inside of the motor. I would try this:

Cut the replacement cable in such a way that the 3 phase wires are projecting a couple of centimeters. All the other wires must be cut flush with the outer insulation very neatly;
Cut the solder joints on the inside and pull the wire through the axle so that you have enough length of good phase wire to solder to;
Cut and cleanup the old motor cable on the outside and solder the 3 phase wires to those in the replacement cable;
Put some suitable lubricant on the cable;
Pull the cable through on the inside. Hopefully it'll turn the right angle corner on the inside.
Is there a good supplier of cables you would recommend?