Pedelecs or Pure Power?

Supermack

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2009
Greater London, HA3
Hi,

Do you prefer pure pedelecs or pure power mixes?

Does it matter?

Does it mean anything?

Do you take sugar in your tea?

Do you eat raw carrots even though they have less beta carotine than those
that are cooked?

Thanks,

Supermack:eek:

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Well, it's kind of like Jazz - all a matter of personal taste :D

Personally I started out using mainly pedelec, but with greater experience, and advice from here, now mostly prefer the finer control of throttle + minimal pedal assist. I have a Wisper 905se BTW.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Throttle preferred on hub motor bikes which generally have very poor pedelec systems, but I'm happy with pedelec if the system is very good as on the Panasonic unit.

I don't like pedelec and throttle in combination, operating together.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
My bike has all the bits for pedelec but it has never worked (pedelec wire from controller was cut by supplier before I got it). Usually ride full throttle (lots of hills here) but shut off down hill to try and eek some power out of the regen system.

Would love a cup of tea :cool:
Unfortunatly, can't drink it, as it reacts with my heart drugs and I pass out :eek:

-----------------------------------------------
Cougar Mountain Electric Bike 36v 200w Hub motor (Jul07)
fitted with 10 Ah LiFePo4 battery (Apr08)
Maximum range (road/hills - Cornwall) 18 miles
Maximum range (on flat) 25 miles

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But the Wisper's have pedal and throttle together and they're ok?
It's personal preference thing rather than a judgement on a bike, others will have their own preferences.

I do like the throttle only mode on the eZee system so always choose that, never using their pedelec which is throttle combined with some similarities to the Wisper one.

I also like the quality pure pedelec system of the Panasonic unit bike, simple and works beautifully due to it's superb torque sensing.

The problem the more powerful hub motor bikes have is the difficulty of having a torque sensor which integrates well to a motor operating remotely from the pedalling, and that's why they tend to use the compromise of the throttle as well with pedelec to constrain the power. I've yet to try the new Wisper 906 which is taking the torque sensor/hub motor route, so don't know what that's like, or whether it still has the same throttle/pedelec system in addition.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Would love a cup of tea :cool:
Unfortunatly, can't drink it, as it reacts with my heart drugs and I pass out
Have you tried the decaffeinated teas Footie?

Tetley do both straight decaff teabags or the Redbush variety of tea which is naturally caffeine free, both make good tea though I prefer the former.

With little to no caffeine they shouldn't react in the same way.

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
I was thinking about this the other day.
On my 2008 905se i like the have to do more exercise from the pedalec (seams to top out abit early with the assist for me though ) but i also like the longer between battery needing charged .
But ...
I often find myself fiddling with the High, low buttons more than i would like, as i feel that taking off from lights/junctions uses an inordinate amount of power compared to peddling to start off. Then shift to high pedalec mode after i get going. I am probably just fooling my self though

It would be nice if i could set it to assist at X mph but i know im asking a bit much

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Hi Winterdog, that's why I've taken to leaving it in low asist mode and then just using the throttle to modulate the power. I too spent months not quite being satisfied with the distraction of switching between modes, when I finally remembered to try it the other way it was something of a revelation.

I now use the throttle as a variable speed control, rather than a power switch, I think this probably saves the battery a bit also - especialy, as you say, when setting off.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I often find myself fiddling with the High, low buttons more than i would like, as i feel that taking off from lights/junctions uses an inordinate amount of power compared to peddling to start off. Then shift to high pedalec mode after i get going. I am probably just fooling my self though
You're probably not fooling yourself, pulling away on power does indeed use inordinate amounts of current, very wasteful.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
I own both a throttle-operated (eZee Cadence) and pure pedelec bike (Pro Connect) and have ended up preferring the latter. I almost always pedalled the eZee bikes anyway, despite the pure power option, but also had to keep the throttle open at all times. I was effectively thinking for the bike, something the Pro Connect's Panasonic system does for me. It's also a lighter, more efficient, much, much faster bike that I know will get me all the way into central London and back, something that is impossible on the Cadence, despite all those extra Watt hours on hand.

At first I thought it was what electric bikes were all about, whizzing along under throttle control, no pedalling necessary. But it gets to your wrist after a while and you can't indicate left without laying off the power. Plus the bike ends up being a lattice of work of wires - from battery to controller, from controller to motor, from throttle to controller. Too many points of failure.

Pedalling helped take the strain off the battery and as a 30ish bloke, it was hard NOT to pedal, what with all my youthful energy and enthusiasm. So there I was, with a true ebike, pedalling almost all the time. The only time I stopped pedalling would be to avoid hitting the kerb when cycling down the gap between bendy bus and pavement.

Unless I'm on the Zero X, I'm happy to pedal and to have my pedalling boosted by the motor. But the Cadence is still a good bike to tear around rougher tracks on, which is why I've ended up owning one.

Sir_Bob

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2009
I love my peddelec it has really helped me loose weight i was 21 stone before and now thanks to my bike i am a slinky 17stones;) it makes the hills seem flat i never used to be able to ride 13miles before on my old mountain bike:eek:

thx

Bob

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I love my peddelec it has really helped me loose weight i was 21 stone before and now thanks to my bike i am a slinky 17stones;) it makes the hills seem flat i never used to be able to ride 13miles before on my old mountain bike:eek:

thx

Bob

Yes these pedelecs certainly are wonderful things. It make you wonder how we managed with WOTWOSERE before doesn’t it Bob?

Regards

Tom

PaulBarnes

Just Joined
Sep 17, 2009
Whitch wire do you cut?
I want throttle power only Ten i will choose to assist myself..I hate the pedelec kicking in it rockets beyond my control SO How do i Kill the pedalec function...Is there a plug I can pull.

emissions-free

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2009
Shanghai
Paul,

no need to cut the wires just follow the wires from the little sensor that is positioned near the bottom bracket back to where it joins into the controller. That way you can always connect it back up if you require.

I've tried the Dapush torque sensing system for a very brief little test and didn't notice a massive if any difference with a standard speed sensing pickup. That uses a front hub motor with a torque sensing crank. The power still seemed to be a little on/off. Maybe with some adjustment of the assist level that could be improved.

Your average controller is very much a mass produced, low cost unit. It could be far more sophisticated than they generally are at present but not everyone would be happy to pay the extra cost IMO. It would also probably require more signals, be more complex, with more points of failure so less reliable.

Personally I like the pedelec and throttle, best of both worlds IMO.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
I use the throttle like it was an extension of my gears, for example I’ll start climbing with plenty of momentum in a high gear and no throttle, as the hill slows me down I’ll start shifting down until I hit 3rd gear (at about 15 mph), then I’ll pull back the throttle. For a moderate hill that will be enough to get me over, for steeper hills I’ll carry on shifting down.

One thing I have noticed is that the is a sort of inverse pedelec effect on my X6 , if I’m going up hill full throttle and I start pedalling harder not only do I go faster but lights start coming back on the battery indicator, so my effort is being split between driving the bike faster and taking the load off the motor. So it looks like the harder I pedal the less help I get from the motor. As someone who switched to commuting by e-bike for fitness reasons this suits me fine, if I can pedal hard it means I need less help so my workout automatically intensifies as I get fitter.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Hi,

Do you prefer pure pedelecs or pure power mixes?

Does it matter?

Does it mean anything?

Do you take sugar in your tea?

Do you eat raw carrots even though they have less beta carotine than those
that are cooked?

Thanks,

Supermack:eek:
I don't have a pedelec mode so it's pure "power" (at the front) for me - and plenty of assistance from my legs for the back - lovely :)

It doesn't matter as long as I enjoy the ride.:)

I only drink coffee - black, sugar & caffeine please

I don't eat any orange coloured food and probably not enough of the green stuff either...

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
no need to cut the wires just follow the wires from the little sensor that is positioned near the bottom bracket back to where it joins into the controller. That way you can always connect it back up if you require.
Personally I like the pedelec and throttle, best of both worlds IMO.
I traced the wires like this, but inserted a handlebar switch to give an instant option of pedelec on/off. All you need is a suitable switch and some connectors that match the ones from the sensor cable to the controller.

emissions-free

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2009
Shanghai
Good idea Bode I'll remember that 1 ;)

The problem I have with the pedelec on my current creation is that it's too sensitive and will just fire you up to warp speed. If only there was a way to adjust the way in which the average pedelec system functioned, it would be great. Will put it on my list of things to do :)