Pedal Assist Query

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wellll! I mean, EU regs are silly anyway, but you are probably right Flecc and NRG.
Here's the relevant legal text:

These are cycles with pedal assistance and an electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power output of not more than 0,25kW where the electrical assistance is cut off when the machine reaches a speed of 25km/h or where the cyclist stops pedalling.

It leaves no doubt or room for manouvre.

Last edited:

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Yeah

Wellll! I mean, EU regs are silly anyway, but you are probably right Flecc and NRG.

Hi Steve C. Great to hear from another 'Eagler'. I dont use the throttle much at all these days, a bit of light pedalling just seems appropriate. If I do use the throttle, I switch the pedelec off completely with the minus button and then switch the throttle on. I was told by the seller that if the controller receives signals that conflict from the throttle and the pedelec sensor at the same time, it can get confused and shut off the power, so I avoid the issue.

One feature I had not anticipated was the automatic steering. Regardless of what direction I set off, I always seem to arrive at the pub sooner or later. Funny that!

Yeah funny that!! I had a motorbike just the same which is why I now have an electric bike??????? But one thing has come out of this I'm getting a lot thinner & fitter and I will sell my motorbike in the spring & keep the Freego Eagle. Steve.

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
Thanks everyone for your input. I contacted Falcon and had a phone call from them and was talked through the system by a very helpful Dave. It appears the system was designed to operate as I stated at the beginning i.e. required to momentarily stop pedaling to bring the motor into operation. The models next year are going to be upgraded considerably both in specification and price! The power indicator lights were changed under guarantee today and I must say I'm very pleased with the service and information given by Falcon/Claud Butler.
One comment I would make is that today I went to a couple of dealers looking at other electric bikes and was disappointed in their knowledge/enthusiasm for the bikes. You probably have to go to somebody who only deals in ebikes to get an enthusiastic response.

tonyishuk

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2011
Hi EagleRider.

I also have a Freego Eagle (my 2nd) and one thing I have found is that if you have the throttle button (red) pressed in for throttle only it cuts the power while peddling by about 50% wether its intentional ??
Same thing occures with our Freego Eagles.

When I first tried the bike, it seemed as if the low setting was not working at all, took it back and the supplier, could find nothing wrong, neither could I when I tried it again. ;-O

It has its uses if riding in areas where low assist is to low and mid assist is too high !

Does seem strange though ? Must be some voltage drop in the system when the hrottle is in use, but not used (if that makes sense.

Rgds