Oxygen S-Cross CB

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi....I'm hoping to look at / try a bike tomorrow £1250 with a 13ah battery.
...anyone got this bike or have any views on it.
....cheers.....Mike

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I don't have this but I do have the earlier version, ie E-Mate with a similar spec and the 15Ah battery. I reviewed it on the Oxygen website although the bike is now no longer listed.

" I ordered this bike as an upgrade from my 20” wheeled folding bike which I’d happily zipped around on but felt a larger wheeled bike with a greater battery capacity would be more suited to my cycle touring and, having looked at many models, chose the Oxygen due to its potential 70-mile range, its size – not many step-through bikes can cater for my 34” inside leg, its chunky tyres, front and rear disc brakes (upgrade), suspension forks for our bumpy lanes and its overall design. When it arrived, I was not disappointed.

Delivery was exactly as advised and it arrived in perfect condition, despite the courier company clearly standing the packing box in water rendering it a soggy mess. Luckily the original manufacturer’s box was inside the retailer's additional box providing double protection. The bike arrived ready set-up, with even the computer set and, once the pedals were screwed in and the handlebars straightened, I spent a few minutes adjusting the saddle and handlebar heights, oiling moving parts and then it was ready to go.

Build quality is good with branded components used and it looks like a quality bike. It is very smooth to ride, the twist-grip engages all gears accurately with no grinding and the 5 pedal assist power levels cater for all riding styles: levels 1 and 2 would be ideal for rough canal towpaths with no danger of the bike zooming into a canal, 3 is the default for flattish roads while levels 4 and 5 are needed for inclines and hills and can be supplemented by a boost from the throttle. The saddle is a bit on the hard side but soon remedied via the use of a gel cover.

The range appears to live up to its stated specification of up to 70 miles with pedal assist. I’ve taken it on a 45 mile hilly ride with 20% gradients and on returning home, 3 of the 6 bars on the battery power display remain even following this quite challenging ride.

Although this is a pre-2016 model bike, ie prior to the 2016 change in legislation, I had expected the throttle to work independently of the pedal assist but – no, it doesn’t. The pedal assist must be engaged and activated via pedalling then the throttle provides an additional boost, unless the motor is already working at capacity.

There is nothing I dislike about this bike and it is one I would highly recommend, particularly for longer rides and cycle touring."

I love the bike and would happily buy it again.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks Kangeroo....most informative, not sure about yours but the new 2016 model has the built in battery which I quite like.
I know that flecc says to treat this type with caution but I'm not concerned about that...I imagine I'd be protected during the 2 year warranty.
One thing I don't like is the way they've drawn attention to the fact that it's an electric bike...coul'd've done without that.
....see what tomorrow brings,,,cheers....Mike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Mike, the Bermuda may be worth a look:

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bermuda

Classic 20" diamond frame, adjustable riding position, 40-45 miles on flat roads with 13AH battery. 50-55 miles with 15AH battery, powerful Bafang SWX02 motor delivers exceptional hill climbing ability.
8-speed, 23kgs

Only £849 with 13AH battery
Only £899 with 15AH battery
Price including delivery

• 36Volts 13AH or 15AH Lithium battery
  • Dual control: pedal assist and twist grip throttle
  • range: 40-45 miles with 13AH battery, 50-55 miles with 15AH battery, on flat roads with throttle control, more with pedal assist
  • 20″ frame, 27.5″ wheels, suitable for average to tall riders (5′ 8″ and above)
  • Aluminum frame
  • Motor: high torque Bafang SWX02 motor rated 250W
  • Brakes: front Avid disc brakes, rear V brakes
  • Saddle: comfort city style
  • Battery charger for UK mains
  • Weight (including all accessories): 23kgs
  • bell and lights

• Informative
Reactions: IR772 and LeighPing

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I think the Oxygen bikes look great..... but I'd want to know the availability and cost of replacement batteries, as they're the not so common, in frame type batteries.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
From what I've heard on the grapevine, Oxygen are good at honouring warranties. The MD also takes interest in his customers and when I had a query, he actually called me to discuss it at length.

• Informative

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the SWX02 is nearly as powerful as the BPM.

• Informative

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the controller is from Lishui, 18A with Hall, integrated into the base of the battery cradle.

• Informative

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
All the motors are a nominal 250watts but most can easily cope with higher power for a time. And very few ever burn out. The manufacturers test to an old standard designed to stop people over rating the motors. I.e. selling a weedy one as a KW drive.
It's not a test to identify an under rated motor so one company sell a 250 watt legal that they also rate as 1KW. The fudge being how they switch between power levels.

Last edited:
  • Informative

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
I like the look of the bike on the oxygen website and was considering it,
I inquired about the cost of replacement 13ah battery and was told it was£400 which put me off a bit.
so id double check this to be sure
I was looking at the mcross mtb this has a higher spec moter as regards power not sure if the cb is the same?

Last edited: