NuVinci

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't think the NuVinci or any CVT have advantages for bikes, they're an elegant solution to a problem that doesn't exist. With up to 27 gears available on run of the mill consumer bikes via triple chainring derailleurs or the SRAM DualDrive, there's more than enough to satisfy any need.

CycloTricity

Trade Member
Aug 8, 2012
www.cyclotricity.com
To build an e-bike with a rear hub motor, you won't have a choice but to use a normal derailleur. Obviously, having Shimano Nexus inner gears with a rear hub motor, for example, is impossible. A CVT hub motor would allow that possibility if you wanted something more advanced than a derailleur.

At the moment, consumers are forced to choose between internal gears or a rear drive. Although, is anyone bothered? Well that's what I was hoping to find out.
The feedback of the majority here seems to say probably not.. :s

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
something more advanced than a derailleur.
:s
But complicated does not necessarily mean more advanced.
After all, a knife and fork works just fine. I could conceive of some sort of implement with a vacuum device for picking up food, a tube for peas, a 'pre-macerator' for tough steak, a 'solidifier' for liquids etc.
As Flecc says, an elegant answer to a non existant problem

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
In practice, on my Tonaro around Swansea which is fairly hilly, I only use gears 2, 4,6 and 8. Occaisionally I use number 3. I only have used 1 on a very steep hill at Mumbles pier.
So what advantage would this nuvinci hub give me?
Hi Mike. I use my tonaro on offroad country trails as well as more conventional paved surfaces. I replaced the stock battery with a higher voltage one which upped the power a bit. This made a whole deal of difference to the low speed cross country ride. Unfortunately the higher powered drive makes gear changing very clunky. It has also destroyed a rear freewheel, a deraileur, and a clutch. I have heard that the nuvinci provides an improved experience-smoother gear changing and a genuinely novel alternative to managing the bikes drive. I would love to try it and "Blew Its" dual drive too. They are a difference, we await to see if they are an improvement. (I mean to say for higher powered crank driven ebikes of course)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Rami, as Eddie says we will be selling a new bike the Grace MX in the new year, the system is expensive but after a few miles riding the gear change seems almost automatic, seamless.

Grace Bikes by Wisper In the UK 2013

The use of the drive is particularly useful on more powerful crank drive electric bikes as Shimano will not warrant the use of their gears on an electric bike with more torque them 40Nm, of course this is not an issue on hub drive bikes.

All the best

David

CycloTricity

Trade Member
Aug 8, 2012
www.cyclotricity.com
Hi Rami, as Eddie says we will be selling a new bike the Grace MX in the new year, the system is expensive but after a few miles riding the gear change seems almost automatic, seamless.

Grace Bikes by Wisper In the UK 2013

The use of the drive is particularly useful on more powerful crank drive electric bikes as Shimano will not warrant the use of their gears on an electric bike with more torque them 40Nm, of course this is not an issue on hub drive bikes.

All the best

David
Hi David,

Yes, I've been looking through your new Grace bikes, and I have to say, they look superb! I'd love to try one, especially the Grace MX :)

By the way, since Wisper has traditionally opted for bigger batteries, what was the thought behind settling for a 36V/8Ah and a 48V/6.3Ah on your new Grace models?
Actually, I personally think 36V/8Ah is perfectly sufficient. But I've always thought Wisper had a different view given your standard models.
Do you think the trend for more and more capacity has now reached its peak? I'd love to hear your view.

Well done with the new range!

Rami

mogwai

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 9, 2012
London, UK
I seem to recall one of the ebikes I looked at before going for the cyclotricity stealth had a NuVinci CVT hub on it. Labelled as a "Seagull 26" I think...

26" Seagull Ebike 8Fun 250 Watt + NuVinci N360 CVP Hub

decided against it as the distributor i was talking to couldn't guarantee spares, had no support network, couldn't answer the most basic of questions about it and saw fit to stick an extra £300 on top of what all the other people importing the same model were charging for it. I've never tried a CVT geared bike myself but can't imagine it solves any of the problems you already get with standard gearing setups. At least with normal derailleurs you get the option of swapping chainrings/freewheels when the mood takes you. imagine these are impossible to modify

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never tried a CVT geared bike myself but can't imagine it solves any of the problems you already get with standard gearing setups. At least with normal derailleurs you get the option of swapping chainrings/freewheels when the mood takes you. imagine these are impossible to modify
Although I'm not a fan of the NuVinci on efficiency and weight grounds, it does solve all of the usual hub and derailleur gear problems, simply because it doesn't have any of them. It won't ever slip because the more effort that's put through it, the more it securely grips. It can't jump ratios, there are no gear teeth or pawls to shred, no spindle pins to shear, in short it's as tough as it will ever need to be.

It has a gear range of 350%, greater than the 307% of the Shimano 8 gear hub and not far short of the 409% of the Shimano 11 gear hub. In the very unlikely event that an even wider range is wanted, it can be used with a double or triple chainring. Since the ratio choices within that percentage range are infinite and the range is so large, there's no need to ever make a change in gearing, and certainly no need on an e-bike. Fit and forget for ever.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
well done Wisper, that MX looks a real beauty, the bike to get next year and a radical but sensible innovation.

Velospeed

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2009
West Berks
Just to add to this thread, the moustache range of Bosch equipped bikes are available with the Nuvinci hub as an option. We find it adds some weight but this is more than made up for by the ease of use and simplicity that it brings.

We've started selling these bikes in the UK and will be looking to recruit more dealers for the French company.

Cheers
John

Velospeed

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unfortunately the higher powered drive makes gear changing very clunky. It has also destroyed a rear freewheel, a deraileur, and a clutch. I have heard that the nuvinci provides an improved experience-smoother gear changing and a genuinely novel alternative to managing the bikes drive. I would love to try it and "Blew Its" dual drive too. They are a difference, we await to see if they are an improvement. (I mean to say for higher powered crank driven ebikes of course)
The NuVinci is an improvement for an e-bike under this circumstance and they've been around enough years to know they are unfailingly reliable. I very much like the SRAM DualDrive, but it's derailleur is conventional so will suffer your increased power in the same way as at present, with the possibility of the increased power damaging the three speed hub element of it as well.

So in your particular case, a NuVinci is the choice to solve the problems. All you would suffer then is the degree of increased chain and front/rear sprocket wear that higher power brings. The gear ratio shifting would be fine.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi David,

Yes, I've been looking through your new Grace bikes, and I have to say, they look superb! I'd love to try one, especially the Grace MX :)

By the way, since Wisper has traditionally opted for bigger batteries, what was the thought behind settling for a 36V/8Ah and a 48V/6.3Ah on your new Grace models?
Actually, I personally think 36V/8Ah is perfectly sufficient. But I've always thought Wisper had a different view given your standard models.
Do you think the trend for more and more capacity has now reached its peak? I'd love to hear your view.

Well done with the new range!

Rami
Hi Rami

Thanks for your kind comments!

The smaller batteries are fine on pure pedelec bikes where there is no throttle facility. The Wisper bikes sold in the UK are equiped with a full throttle to 15.5mph. It is my considered opinion that you cannot run a decent throttle controlled electric bike with a small battery if you need any meaningful range. Of course there are cost, weight and size implications to consider and many users are not looking for a bike that keeps maximum torque for more than a few miles, in this case an 8Ah battery is fine even on a throttle bike.

All the best

David