NSFW / disturbing content : man dies when E-bike battery explodes in a lift

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
NSFW.
Very disturbing video of an E-bike battery catching fire when a man is in a lift - things go from perfectly normal to inferno in seconds.

https://x.com/MyLordBebo/status/1816723081483694297

No background about the type of battery or the manufacturer but it's another example that can be used when there's a campaign to restrict when batteries can be used or stored.
Hopefully it won't be used for some knee-jerk legislation banning unapproved batteries.
:oops:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
NSFW.
Very disturbing video of an E-bike battery catching fire when a man is in a lift - things go from perfectly normal to inferno in seconds.

https://x.com/MyLordBebo/status/1816723081483694297

No background about the type of battery or the manufacturer but it's another example that can be used when there's a campaign to restrict when batteries can be used or stored.
Hopefully it won't be used for some knee-jerk legislation banning unapproved batteries.
That was a normal silver fish battery. It wasn't connected to anything and wasn't on charge, so I would conclude that it must have had an internal short that heated it up while he was carrying it until it exploded from the heat. I guess the lesson is to not carry a battery by its handle. Instead, hold it like a baby so you can feel how warm it is. Poor guy!

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
Don't think I want to watch, sounds terrifying. I use four lifts a day with my bike at the train stations :eek:

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
Debunked - Lift Battery Fire

Apparently happened in China during 2021. The battery got hot whilst charging in the man's flat. He was using the lift to go to the ground floor and take it outside to cool-down.

I reckon he hadn't let it cool down enough before charging - an error people with battery mowers often make.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

Apparently happened in China during 2021. The battery got hot whilst charging in the man's flat. He was using the lift to go to the ground floor and take it outside to cool-down.

I reckon he hadn't let it cool down enough before charging - an error people with battery mowers often make.
It says unverified reports, which means speculation. That story doesn't add up to me. If you were charging a battery in your flat and it started to get hot, would you take it in the lift. Most would stand it outside on the landing if they thought there was a problem, though some people do get daft ideas.

One thing is clear though, it wasn't the magnetic field in the lift that caused it to explode.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire

Hardly a glowing defence against the assertion that batteries present safety issues?
I am not overly convinced if he had not attempted to get it out of a building that requires a lift, there would not have been some serious implication, just leaving in his flat

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Terrible thing, however it happened.

I think if my battery got hot and I could not get it out of the house, I'd chuck it in the sink and turn on the taps.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I'm not sure that would help, you might steam yourself to death...
It might - just might cool it enough to stop it running away into a horrible conflagration.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Very saddening. Had he just charged that battery, or removed it from the bike after using it?

Smoke alarms are pointless - by the time there's ignitable smoke, it's far too late.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think if my battery got hot and I could not get it out of the house, I'd chuck it in the sink and turn on the taps.
It might - just might cool it enough to stop it running away into a horrible conflagration.
One of my many daft notions was to charge or store the battery while it's resting on thin plastic mesh over a large barrel of water being filled continuously through one side at an angle to make a whirlpool exiting through a pipe on the other side, draining into a sink: battery catches fire, melts through the mesh and is continuously cooled by the whirlpool until completely extinguished. But I assembled this instead. Easier:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/home-ruination-by-ebike-battery-fire-expulserating-preterminator%E2%84%A2%C2%AE%C2%A9%E2%84%A0.46934/

There will be an easy to assemble mobile independently powered battery mounted version, when a couple of items arrive from China.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
When it starts to heat up and spit thermal runaway has already started only option is to run, that is what LFB recommend.
I won't be running away! Because it will merely be 38 degrees centigrade to the touch (summer, 30 degrees in winter) when I fling the damn thing out of the window on it's shovel inside it's box, less than 10 seconds after the horn has sounded.

Last edited:

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
I wonder if it would be possible to make a diy heat-proof charging enclosure using a wire basket (shopping basket, trolley, etc) lined with fire bricks.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I wonder if it would be possible to make a diy heat-proof charging enclosure using a wire basket (shopping basket, trolley, etc) lined with fire bricks.
There aren't any materials which won't burn at those temperatures available to the general public, and even if there was, toxic smoke will necessitate purchase of a new home interior, and possibly lung replacement. Better to keep it outside, or run, or if you can do so safely: fling it out long before it smokes and bursts into a fireball spitting out cells with such force they embed themselves into walls like large bullets.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If that had happened in One Hyde Park instead of China, we'd all be hunted down and shot. Unless it was a Chinese guy.

things go from perfectly normal to inferno in seconds.
I bet surface temperature of that heat conductive aluminium case was well above normal ambient air temperature, for many seconds before the smoke and inferno. He might not have noticed gripping the plastic handle.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'm thinking of the ways it could happen. I just figured out this. The battery is quite heavy and the bottom piece contains the main power wires and is made of plastic. I wonder if he dropped it on its end when he was taking it off the bike or put it on the floor outside the lift. A drop of about 6 inches onto concrete would probably be enough to break the palstic with the full weight of the battery smashing it into the ground, then the power wires shorted and caused the over-heating.

The whole weight of the battery sits on those wires sometimes. A drop of even a couple of inches onto concrete could cut into those wires even if the plastic didn't break. I've had to re-position those wires in a few batteries I've looked into because they didn't look to safe to me. Also people tend to drop the battery down the slider when they fit it to the bike because it's quite heavy and awkward, once engaged at the top.

Those batteries have been around for a long time. Despite what I said, they have a pretty good safety record. Maybe his had just been assembled badly

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I reckon he was drawing 22A from a tiny inadequate Chinese celled battery pack inside that case with his 48V rear hub motored ebike, and it overheated during his hilly journey home... he didn't notice holding it by the plastic handle, thinking pleasant thoughts about what to have for dinner, until tragedy suddenly struck.