Newbie requires advice please.

wasim6ocgm

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 27, 2011
Hi Ian,

I'm not too many years younger than you and had a heart attack 3 years ago. I turned to electric bikes as my only form of exercise and I love it. I'm out very day and sometimes ride 40-60 miles in a weekend. The best and biggest selection for you to see is here at e-bikes london (Battersea) store which has been suggested above. You can demo bikes and "borrow" one for a few hours to go round London or Battersea Park and try it out. It's a no-obligation service and all of the staff are very helpful.

Mike
Thanks Mike (and everyone else) lots of very useful info, intend to visit Battersea before the end of April, also a comment earlier about Claude Butler bike being 'brought in', quite a lot of the bikes available seem to share a very similar design, apart from the obvious 2 wheels!!!

Ian

wasim6ocgm

Mar 27, 2011
Here's the background Ian:

The Claud Butler origins
Thanks for the link, interesting. Whilst initially I had decided to go the CB route reading comments here and elsewhere makes me think the Kalkhoff or Whisper routes are the ones for me!

As i said previously I would prefer to buy locally if only for servicing, but I guess that any reputable local dealer will be able to service either of these should I require?

Ian

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Servicing: all depends.

For the electrics on an ebike, almost definitely NOT. I have a great local bike shop, who services my Wisper, repairs my spokes, sorts my gears, etc., etc., but he wouldn't want to try touching the electrics - not his expertise, at all.

And if he ever closes and forces me to try Halfords, then doubly so. They probably wouldn't even do the SPOKES on my Wisper, as it might involve taking the back wheel off and disconnecting the motor.

But the proximity of a Kalkhoff or Wisper dealer mightn't be as important as you (and initially I) think. Reasoning: if you've got to take your bike and leave it at the dealer for a day or more, then you've got to load it into a car, drive there, drive back, and then repeat the exercise!

Fair enough, Surrey (Wisper) is much closer to me than Derby (Juicy), but either would involve a quite major shifting operation for me, and I suspect you too.

Allen.

wasim6ocgm

Mar 27, 2011
Servicing: all depends.

For the electrics on an ebike, almost definitely NOT. I have a great local bike shop, who services my Wisper, repairs my spokes, sorts my gears, etc., etc., but he wouldn't want to try touching the electrics - not his expertise, at all.

And if he ever closes and forces me to try Halfords, then doubly so. They probably wouldn't even do the SPOKES on my Wisper, as it might involve taking the back wheel off and disconnecting the motor.

But the proximity of a Kalkhoff or Wisper dealer mightn't be as important as you (and initially I) think. Reasoning: if you've got to take your bike and leave it at the dealer for a day or more, then you've got to load it into a car, drive there, drive back, and then repeat the exercise!

Fair enough, Surrey (Wisper) is much closer to me than Derby (Juicy), but either would involve a quite major shifting operation for me, and I suspect you too.

Allen.
Good points,

I'm about 5 miles from Diss where the CB dealer is located, so no problem getting there and his buisiness partner is a pedelec expert and enthusiast by all accounts.

Back to the drawing board ( or chardonnay)!
Ian

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Kalkhoff and Raleigh bikes with the Panasonic motor units are basically the same thing, both made by Derby Cycles in Germany. The Raleigh branded ones are sold through dealers.

wasim6ocgm

Mar 27, 2011
Further update...
Right, after much deliberation etc etc have a short list of 2 at the moment Gepida 900 Reptila Step-Thru @ £1369 or the Kalkhoff Agatto @£1795. Both seem to ooze 'quality' with a similar comfortable ride and spec, would any kind sole like to explain what the additional advantages £400+ for the Kalkoff will bring me please? I did think about the EBCO LSL Eagle @£1799 - loved it's styling but does not have seat suspension, something that i stop on my list of must haves.

Thanks

Ian
Great Moulton, Norfolk

wasim6ocgm

Mar 27, 2011
Well, after much deliberation eventually decided on the Claude Butler Glide2. Main reason in the end was wanted to support local dealers, and have nearby on-site service. The CB ticked those boxes, perhaps it doesn't have the power of the Kalkhoff etc(or the price) but the mainly flat terrain here in South Norfolk coupled with the need for just 1-2 hours riding 3 or 4 times a week Spring and Summer means i don't need more! Had the bike 2 weeks now, although I'm still running-in the battery I'm currently getting about 45 miles per charge - so well pleased!

Got a well equipped bike with all the trimmings / extras (computer/lights/paniers pump etc. etc. at a really good price and excellent service from the guys at Cycle Shack, Diss, Norfolk. They're only about a 5 mile ride if I require service etc.
Nice looking and well built bike (IMHO) very chunky (the bike not me!)
The suspension is good - front and saddle (although I may change the saddle to something a little more luxurious - memory foam and wider) although the fitted one is not at all bad! Any suggestions for a saddle appreciated.
The CB catalogue shows it has 3 levels of assistance in fact since printing the bike has now 6 with a larger / LCD display.
My first pedelec and I love it!!!

I will try and update as time goes on.

Oh and I haven't fallen off - yet!

Ian
Great Moulton, Norfolk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Territory makes a huge difference Ian, and in that area I think it's an excellent choice. I hope you get years of enjoyment from it.

wasim6ocgm

Mar 27, 2011
Thanks for that young man!!!

I must say, a makes a trip to the Greyhound at Tibenham a far more pleasurable experience than taking the car!!!

Strictly within the Drink-Drive guidelines -officer!!!

of course
Territory makes a huge difference Ian, and in that area I think it's an excellent choice. I hope you get years of enjoyment from it.

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Well, after much deliberation eventually decided on the Claude Butler Glide2. Main reason in the end was wanted to support local dealers, and have nearby on-site service. The CB ticked those boxes, perhaps it doesn't have the power of the Kalkhoff etc(or the price) but the mainly flat terrain here in South Norfolk coupled with the need for just 1-2 hours riding 3 or 4 times a week Spring and Summer means i don't need more! Had the bike 2 weeks now, although I'm still running-in the battery I'm currently getting about 45 miles per charge - so well pleased!

Got a well equipped bike with all the trimmings / extras (computer/lights/paniers pump etc. etc. at a really good price and excellent service from the guys at Cycle Shack, Diss, Norfolk. They're only about a 5 mile ride if I require service etc.
Nice looking and well built bike (IMHO) very chunky (the bike not me!)
The suspension is good - front and saddle (although I may change the saddle to something a little more luxurious - memory foam and wider) although the fitted one is not at all bad! Any suggestions for a saddle appreciated.
The CB catalogue shows it has 3 levels of assistance in fact since printing the bike has now 6 with a larger / LCD display.
My first pedelec and I love it!!!

I will try and update as time goes on.

Oh and I haven't fallen off - yet!

Ian
Great Moulton, Norfolk
Hi Ian,
have found a good saddle for a reasonable price to be the Velo Plush. I am not a regular cyclist and with other saddles I am aching when I go for an occasional ride, however the Velo Plush I have found to be very good.

wasim6ocgm

Mar 27, 2011
Thanks for that, funnily enough the Velo is one I have been considering - £15.99 on eBay.

However I'm spending a week in Amsterdam next month so intend to do a bit more research, i'm thinking I can do some research - instead of museums I'll make a study of local saddles! All from the comfort of a pavement cafe or 2!

Ian

Hi Ian,
have found a good saddle for a reasonable price to be the Velo Plush. I am not a regular cyclist and with other saddles I am aching when I go for an occasional ride, however the Velo Plush I have found to be very good.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Just catching up with this thread - well done on your decision Ian and I hope you your bike have many happy years out and about together.

Penny