Newbie looking to rent initially

Middlewife

Pedelecer
May 28, 2024
Hi all,
I'm looking to initially rent for 2 or 3 months, before potentially blowing a lot of money on something that may sit in the shed. Got a few health issues and also 5 foot 2, so many bikes seem unsuitable for a shortie. Most schemes seem to be for cycle to work or delivery riders, neither of which I'd qualify for as I only work 1 day a week for a local GP.
Hurrecane are local to me but don't have small frame bikes, they also had a bad write up in a previous thread and still don't specify motor size on their specs as far as I could see. (but reasonable reviews on trustpilot)
The other (expensive) option seems to be Volt, who offer a couple of bikes for shorties, 2 step throughs, as the only way I could get on an e bike at centerparcs was to lay it almost horizontal and then haul it and myself upright!
Any thoughts/experiences, I know Halfords do 6 hour hires, but not sure how "good" their bikes are;
Have I missed any? I'm based in Reading area
Thanks

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi all,
I'm looking to initially rent for 2 or 3 months, before potentially blowing a lot of money on something that may sit in the shed. Got a few health issues and also 5 foot 2, so many bikes seem unsuitable for a shortie. Most schemes seem to be for cycle to work or delivery riders, neither of which I'd qualify for as I only work 1 day a week for a local GP.
Hurrecane are local to me but don't have small frame bikes, they also had a bad write up in a previous thread and still don't specify motor size on their specs as far as I could see. (but reasonable reviews on trustpilot)
The other (expensive) option seems to be Volt, who offer a couple of bikes for shorties, 2 step throughs, as the only way I could get on an e bike at centerparcs was to lay it almost horizontal and then haul it and myself upright!
Any thoughts/experiences, I know Halfords do 6 hour hires, but not sure how "good" their bikes are;
Have I missed any? I'm based in Reading area
Thanks
Cheaper than renting:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
This one under £300 at the minute (seem to get 6% off when you put it in your basket) - free delivery - probably better for someone 5'2" than 6'2"

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Gin e-bikes based in Reading may just have just the bike for you. They say you can have a test ride to see if it fits. And they offer free delivery in Berkshire.

I think you are just about tall enough for their step through bike.

Middlewife

Pedelecer
May 28, 2024
I hadn't considered getting a very cheap bike, but can understand where you're coming from, only problem is this "Due to product upgrades,you may receive the bike with shock-absorbing saddle as a gift(random). This saddle will be 5cm higher than the ordinary saddle. But there will be a more comfortable shock absorption effect. More suitable for users above 165cm tall. " so unless I can guarantee NOT to receive the upgrade, might be a problem.....

Middlewife

Pedelecer
May 28, 2024
This one under £300 at the minute (seem to get 6% off when you put it in your basket) - free delivery - probably better for someone 5'2" than 6'2"

Thank you, possible contender, however as I have arthritic fingers and a thumb, was put off folding bikes as not sure I would be able to fold/unfold - so would just leave it assembled permanently.

Middlewife

Pedelecer
May 28, 2024
Gin e-bikes based in Reading may just have just the bike for you. They say you can have a test ride to see if it fits. And they offer free delivery in Berkshire.

I think you are just about tall enough for their step through bike.

Funnily enough, I came across them earlier today, so might pop along; anyone any experience with Gin bikes?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I hadn't considered getting a very cheap bike, but can understand where you're coming from, only problem is this "Due to product upgrades,you may receive the bike with shock-absorbing saddle as a gift(random). This saddle will be 5cm higher than the ordinary saddle. But there will be a more comfortable shock absorption effect. More suitable for users above 165cm tall. " so unless I can guarantee NOT to receive the upgrade, might be a problem.....
Saddles can be had for a fiver on ebay. They're interchangeable.

Middlewife

Pedelecer
May 28, 2024
Saddles can be had for a fiver on ebay. They're interchangeable.
Thanks, I suppose (overthinking!) if the ride quality isn't good, then might be put off, bit like a Ford Fiesta v Audi for example? I guess in my head, I had £2k to spend, so was looking in that price range. Will also need to be able to carry panniers and/or large front basket.

Also trying to work out as I don't have strong legs, would I be better going for a cadence sensor, or a torque - given that I don't plan to go up very steep hills? Thanks.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Funnily enough, I came across them earlier today, so might pop along; anyone any experience with Gin bikes?
The downside of bikes like this with integrated batteries is when the battery dies in a few years time you will unlikely to be able to find a replacement. So you will probably end up scrapping the bike and buying a new one.

Gin may not be trading by then and if they are still in business then the bikes they are selling today may be superseded by new models with completely different components.

If you buy a regular bicycle and have it converted with a standard kit then all parts can easily be replaced and the bike will last for many years.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thank you, possible contender, however as I have arthritic fingers and a thumb, was put off folding bikes as not sure I would be able to fold/unfold - so would just leave it assembled permanently.
You don't have to fold folding bikes. It's only if you want to. Their advantages is that they have small wheels, which makes them light, low and easy to handle.

Reactions: Middlewife

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Woosh bikes or Whisper bikes may have something that fits you so it’s worth contacting both.

Reactions: Middlewife

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks, I suppose (overthinking!) if the ride quality isn't good, then might be put off, bit like a Ford Fiesta v Audi for example? I guess in my head, I had £2k to spend, so was looking in that price range. Will also need to be able to carry panniers and/or large front basket.

Also trying to work out as I don't have strong legs, would I be better going for a cadence sensor, or a torque - given that I don't plan to go up very steep hills? Thanks.
Ride quality is an interesting characteristic. It's certainly not a case of the more you pay, the better the ride. I've ridden relatively expensive bikes that were so bad that I wanted to get off after a mile.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
GOOGLE SUSTRANS loan bikes

For anyone who doesn't know who sustrans !!!!!! is

You know what these signs are :) Sustainable Transport SUSTRANS

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
He can't fold it. This bike is not a folder.
Dyu and Hitway suggestions are bikes that can be folded. OP explained that folding would be difficult because of arthritic fingers, and I'm no expert and call me old fashioned if you want, but 5ft 2" and a name like Middlewife is probably a she, not a he.

Reactions: Ghost1951