New to e-bikes, considering Brompton conversion.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But untested and very expensive. And only works with 2 speed derailleur verison of a brommie. Not a IGH version like my m3l
The DWG2NC kit uses regular cassettes, the smallest cog is 11T. On standard 3-speed Brompton, 50T chainring gives 1.32m * 50T/ 11T * 80RPM * 60 seconds in a minute = 28.8km/h
If you could fit a derailleur then it's possible.
A kit with DWG2NC with 36V 15AH bag battery about £500.

jamesporritt

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2021
The DWG2NC kit uses regular cassettes, the smallest cog is 11T. On standard 3-speed Brompton, 50T chainring gives 1.32m * 50T/ 11T * 80RPM * 60 seconds in a minute = 28.8km/h
If you could fit a derailleur then it's possible.
A kit with DWG2NC with 36V 15AH bag battery about £500.
Please could you tell me which controller you supply with your kit? Is it a KT?

How far do the dropouts need to be spread?

Do you supply the rear wheel with the motor fitted?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have not thought of making a rear hub kit for the Brompton until now. It's your thread that made me think about doing this. I will convert my Brompton with the DWG2NC rear hub in the next week before getting back to you with proper answers.

jamesporritt

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2021
I have not thought of making a rear hub kit for the Brompton until now. It's your thread that made me think about doing this. I will convert my Brompton with the DWG2NC rear hub in the next week before getting back to you with proper answers.
It's a KT rear hub conversion or nothing. I don't mind replacing the controller in your kit with a KT.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's a KT rear hub conversion or nothing. I don't mind replacing the controller in your kit with a KT.
One would also have to replace the dispaly as well.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
For a Brompton an LCD4 fits nicely on the handlebars.

Be careful with bigger displays, remember the Brompton is a folder and you dont want a large display poking out when you wheeling it folded around a shop or carrying it up the stairs.

Reactions: jamesporritt
D

Deleted member 16246

Great thread this. I am looking at my Brompton with new eyes. It's been folded up in a corner for about two years.

D

Deleted member 16246

Front or rear motor conversion? KT or not KT?
I am just thinking about it. I looked at this a few years ago when there were fewer possibilities than now and more brutal intervention needed vis a vis fork spreading and filing drop outs. Now none of this is necessary. I don't know is the real answer James, I am just waiting for 'enlightenment' from the folks here.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Front or rear motor conversion? KT or not KT?
Why have you excluded other controllers? I intend to use a tongsheng controller if my rear hub conversion is good and easy to install.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You read the threads on here, members regularly ask questions about how to set up their KT controllers, no other brand creates as much support questions. My job is to return an operating profit for Woosh, I can't do that if I have to pay extra to use KT controllers. I know some members love KT's flexibility but simplicity and reliability are more important in the long term.

jamesporritt

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2021
You read the threads on here, members regularly ask questions about how to set up their KT controllers, no other brand creates as much support questions. My job is to return an operating profit for Woosh, I can't do that if I have to pay extra to use KT controllers. I know some members love KT's flexibility but simplicity and reliability are more important in the long term.
I'd pay more for a KT option.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'd pay more for a KT option.
We don't sell them but you can buy them on aliexpress or amazon. You can also fit your old KT controllers and lcd to most hub kits, including those sold by woosh at the moment.

Reactions: jamesporritt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There is no long term issue with KT stuff , it is OEM vs after market self build components . Imv KT give a much better ride and user option then Lishui.
KT is highly usable and compatible.
Try buying Lishui spares on the open market for self build or spares and it is nigh on impossible , plus with KT one doesn't need to programme software.
It boils down to wether one wants KT current control or Lishui speed control.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You can set the number of assist level and percentage of power for each assist level in my Brompton kit (lishui +kd58c lcd). So it is pretty flexible. I switched to current control on the bikes last year. The Tongsheng controller that I intend to use on the rear hub Brompton kit is a TS model, it may be ok to use with osf. It is still in the pipeline, I haven't got it yet though. It's something member Mechaniker invented a little while ago.

Last edited: