New poll: How did you come across e-bikes

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Had to

For me it was out of desperation ?? I knew that I was going to be done for drink driving on my scooter (spiked drink by a friend) and didn't think at 60 I could ride my heavy mountain bike the 10 miles each way to work?? with a 12 hour shift in between,so was looking on eBay for a bike that would carry me and my gear to work when I came across a mountain bike with a battery?? and kept looking and settled on the Freego Eagle and now had it since march and never regreted it and when the weather is a bit better I am going to sell the scooter and keep the bike?. And as for the drink driving I blew 40 which is a sip or two over but I was over and am paying the penalty and believe me it could happen to any one and I was very very carefull with my drinking and my friend is no longer my friend?.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You join a number of other members who used e-bikes to get out of that predicament steve.c. I think member PinkFloyd up in the northern tip of Scotland was the first I saw post about this back in 2008: link to post

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
I had heard about hub motors for bicycles but never knew where to get them. Being able to contact people here and ask for advice is where it started for me. That was four years ago.
So i would say the pedelecs site is how i came across ebikes.

One of the questions has to be 'did you hear about ebikes from the internet?'

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

My wife and I were car booting at Milton Keynes Bowl one Sunday 4 1/2 years ago selling unwanted household items when a man walked past wheeling a rather scruffy stepthru framed Giant Lafree Twist Lite.
I realised it was electric and had a vague idea that such things existed, I ran after him and stopped him for a chat, only for a couple of minutes, but that was it, I just had to have one.

When we got home, I went straight on the internet to find out everything I could about electric bikes from this very forum and Tony Fleccia's website.

6 days later, on the 9th June 2007, I drove to Lincoln to collect a used but immaculate medium frame stepthru Giant Lafree Twist Lite. I had bought it through eBay for £450 and I still remember having a test ride in a street in Lincoln, the sun was shinning and I had a grin from ear to ear. That was it, I was hooked:D

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I think my interest was first aroused by atob magazine. I’ve subscribed to it since issue 1 in 1997, due to an interest in folding bikes, and they gradually started covering electric bikes as well. My first foray into electric wasn’t until 2004, when I purchased a s/h Crystalyte kit, for £60, from Steve Head on the Yahoo group. That motor is still working well and if he follows this forum - thanks Steve.