New BB drive (retro fit)

Sep 24, 2007
Ever wondered why she doesn't ride a bike? It may have been due to the fear of this German 'lady detector' being designed... :D

The battery sits in a saddle bag behind the seat. It looks a bit weedy from the spec.... it's something like 6.5AH, isn't it? I can't imagine paying 2,000 euros for it, can you?

Don't helical gears naturally want to part company from each other? And that little gear on the crank looks a weak spot to me. It looks awfully puny to be propelling someone on a bike (even if it's only delivering 100W...)

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
I like the appearance ( came to forum looking at a high-end Izip with batteries hidden in the tube) but it seems noisy and odd spec- not a serious option. Wisper se is though...

kraeuterbutter

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
@jimmyengland1000:

it says on the Gruberwebpage: 4,5 Ah / 30 V and 1000g light

sounds not much, but with the power-ASSIST (and not moped-like) drivestyle this should give 45min long FULL power (200Watt)

when considering how you drive such a bike (in the woods, offroad, up steep hills, down fast) 45min full assistant power sound very good to me
that should be enough for 1-2 hours of driving

and if you realy make a longer offroad tour: a second battery with only 1000g is easily stored in the Rucksack

you have to considere: this bike is made and used by competion-drivers
i think its not inteded to be used in a 200Euro bike from the next supermarket

you have also to considere: it was made by an Tyrolean...
with all that mountains here in Austria, 90% of Hubmotors in 26"-wheels are useless (or WAY to heavy to make fun riding offroad, jumping roots,...)

look at the bike on the Gruber-Homepage: for going onroad to-and-from work you don´t need a 1600 Euro bike with 100mm suspensiontravel ;)
a Rock Shox Reba Race spork or a light 7005-alu frame

name me one electric-bike that makes as much fun going down a crushed stone road or driving a small alp-path than a light sub-15kg mountainbike without motor...
and i bet: closest you can come would be this gruber-assist so far...

i see only one alternativ bike in the moment:
the Optibike..
price ranges from
5000 US$ (Optibike 400, 400Watt continous)
13.000US$ !!!! (Optibike OB1, 850W continous)

the Optibike 400 with its 13ah 24V battery has about double as much energy on board as the Gruberbike with the 4,5Ah 36V batterypack..

couldn´t find the weigght of the Optibike 400, but the Optibike 600Li weights 22kg (and costs 8000 US$)

i think, when the Gruber-kit-price was around 1000-1200Euro it would be ok..
2000 is too high (at least for most... people who spend 200 euro into pedals because they are 50g lighter, and 5000Euro for a naked bike (without pedals ;) ) -> for this people 2000Euro is also no problem)

Last edited:

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks for this Jimmy- I may well be tempted if the Kalkhoff is delayed again. I've seen the wiring mod needed- are there other differences (apart from price ;) ) between the german and english ones- eg deristriction?
No... none at all. If you do get a 'German' one that, for some reason, does not have the throttle and on/off and derestrict switches already fitted, it's a piece of cake to fit them. In fact, my own bike doesn't have the on/off or desrestrict switchgear on at all now. I took off the switches off completely and permanently removed the restrict side of things. I can't think of any reason why anyone would want the choice of restrict/derestrict. So my bike is permanently derestricted. I've left the throttle (complete with its own on/off switch) on the bike, although I hardly ever use the throttle. I also removed the battery indicator and speedo (useless)

I went out on my Wisper today, having fitted Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyres last night. I find they are a great compromise between road and rough track use. I did 17miles with a 3.5 stone child on the crossbar seat (I weigh 12.5 stone). A stop for a game of chess and glass of pop in a little pub, then a return trip against a very strong headwind, over a rough-ish riverside track, part of it uphill. In pedelec mode, we still did 13mph easily with no noticeable drop in power at all by the end of the journey. For me, personally, this just has to be better than waiting interminably for delivery of a bike that's supposed to be super-duper but is unavailable. I'm so glad I'm not still waiting about.