Nearly a Donor

spiritburner

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2012
Sitges, Espana
We have started the ball rolling and sent the footage to swindon council. No reply yet. Keep you posted.
I would also send it you your local tv news, bbc and itv and push it, they might do a spot on it especially after the article on the bus driver incident (sea other posts) The local tv companies are always on the lookout for good a good story and this has great quality video...... It will not do you any harm and will only make the council sit up and deal with it once its in the public domain. You should also tag the video and release it up on to youtube as an open video.

Riche

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2011
I have made the video open last Thursday so anyone can view it.

Just to be clear this is NOT Swindon Council per-say its Swindon Commercial Services (SCS) BUT they are in bed with the council big time.. I actually thought it was part of the council but I am not sure.
BTW
The Times have a thing going on with cycle safety atm after a researcher or report was killed on a bike in London maybe its worth sending them the utube link and see if the want to develop the story? JUst a thought..

Riche
Back to the Cider now....

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Sorry but I must say.... yes it was a dangerous undertake but having watched this video my observations are that, 1, you were riding in the middle of the road preventing the van from overtaking earlier, 2 you don't appear to have a mirror fitted and never looked behind or signalled your intention to turn, had the road been clear for the van to overtake who would have been to blame if you had turned with no look and no signal.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=inconsiderate cycling&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/29&ei=4KJST-voNsrH0QWyg_HaCw&usg=AFQjCNHIKybw2ckPod3jk6Kh2eA9WS8A9A

Last edited:

Riche

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2011
Sorry but I must say.... yes it was a dangerous undertake but having watched this video my observations are that, 1, you were riding in the middle of the road preventing the van from overtaking earlier, 2 you don't appear to have a mirror fitted and never looked behind or signalled your intention to turn, had the road been clear for the van to overtake who would have been to blame if you had turned with no look and no signal.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=inconsiderate cycling&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/29&ei=4KJST-voNsrH0QWyg_HaCw&usg=AFQjCNHIKybw2ckPod3jk6Kh2eA9WS8A9A
Well that obviously gives the van driver every right to barge his way through ..
sorry your wrong.
We moved into the middle of the road at the ballard where no vehicles can overtake us. The reason why we move into the middle of the road there is because its too dangerous futher down to try and manouver to the middle of the road, we know this because we have cycled this route for the last 5 years or more.. By moving into the middle of the road its is a clear indication of our intent to turn right.
I am not sure where you think we were cycling without due care and attention..

I guess everyone is entitled to their oppinion.

Riche

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
I agreed in my post that it was a dangerous undertake, so no it doesn't give the van driver the right to barge through. Without a signal, moving into the middle of the road is not a clear indication of your intent to turn, and how anyone can execute a turn without looking behind to check for any vehicle passing them is dicing with death.

Last edited:

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
By moving into the middle of the road its is a clear indication of our intent to turn right.
With respect, it might be to you but in the absence of a hand signal, it isn't to anyone following you.

Not condoning what matey in the van did, just pointing out that there's more than one way of looking at the situation shown in that clip.

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
To be fair the last thing on my mind was indicating or looking back after being intimidated like he was doing. He was revving his van madly so I knew he was there and was such a close call I was just happy to get out of the way. I looked back earlier and idicated to get in the middle of the road as Riche says. If I would have indicated at the last moment then I probably wouldn't be here as I needed full control of the bike.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Morning

Sorry to say I have failed a bit here - tried all the tricks I know but there is not a single frame even slightly in focus on the plate. I've treid cleaning up the images and layering various images of the plate

I think it ends in 58 KVT but in all honestly I've no real confidenace in that

Sorry - did my best !

cheers
Kirstin

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Thanks for trying Kirstin I will tell Riche to buy a better camera. I will offer £50 for it. :)

Cheers
Kev

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Just posted to the times (safety for cyclists Times campaign) even though a couple of people on this website think it was my fault? I am a car driver as well and give due dilligence to cyclists but this was out of order. Probably get banned now. Let the battle commence. Thats the cider talking :eek:

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
It is easy to be an arm chair critic.......Cars drive down middle of the road to avoid speed bumps ALL the time, But if a cyclist moves out to avoid parked cars (a hazard in themselves) and to cycle between the humps some of you think cyclist in the wrong.....Astonishing. We have as much right to be on the road as anyone

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
My comments on the video where in no way blaming you for the undertake, I was highlighting the danger of not checking behind and no signal before you turned, regarding riding in the middle of the road I would rather pull up at the kerb and let vans etc. get past instead of getting into a no win duel with one of them.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
My comments on the video where in no way blaming you for the undertake, I was highlighting the danger of not checking behind and no signal before you turned, regarding riding in the middle of the road I would rather pull up at the kerb and let vans etc. get past instead of getting into a no win duel with one of them.
John, Kev has already said that he did indeed signal prior to the turn (and I'm assuming did an over the shoulder check too?), it's just that it happened before the film clip starts. I take your point that ideally you should signal again for the actual turn but I believe the point is rendered moot in this case given that he had already signalled to the vehicle that, very audibly, remained behind him up until that point that he was turning right.

If we're being honest, none of us signal as we turn, it would be incrediby dangerous. We all have to signal before we turn. It then becomes an issue of how long before you make the turn is it acceptable to have signalled? It's down to common sense, speeds, conditions, etc. There is no rule here although you would think the earlier the better and the longer you signal the better, but then is it really given that you're riding ability (steering, braking, stability) is compromised while signalling? Like I say, there is no rule.

Really, the merits of signalling timing and length pale in to insignificance given that a van driver, in his anger, deliberately almost knocked a cyclist off his bike in to the path of oncoming traffic. I would go as far as to say that signalling is not even relevant here. This undertaking is so dangerous and so deliberate that no matter what the signalling prior to it, it can't be excused. If I had just signalled left, then right, then up, then down, I still have the right for someone not to deliberately try a move that stands a good chance of killing me even though they are now thoroughly confused as to what my intentions are.

By the way, I'm riding without a mirror at the moment and I regularly do exactly what you suggest on a right turn off a busy road on my morning commute if there is no break in traffic behind me. I slow down at the kerb and wait for a break before continuing. It's the only foolproof way really and even though some cyclists would say it is unneccessary I am fully with you on this one. That said, even when there is a break and I'm in the middle of the road signalling, I have still had people floor it and overtake me just as I would be turning.

It's sad to say that I am gradually coming to agreement with others on this forum that the only way to keep cyclists and drivers safe on our congested narrow roads is to separate the two completely.

Again, I find myself saying to another member of the forum that I'm glad they didn't get seriously injured or killed. Every time I say it I worry more and more about the future of commuter cycling in this country. I find myself offroad on my MTB more and more these days but there simply isn't an offroad route to most people's work, myself included.

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
A friend of mine calls it 'suicidal impatience'. Aggressive behaviour on the roads - or anywhere for that matter - should not be tolerated

I don't think the anti bike rubbish quoted by Jeremy Clarkson and others in the media helps. It only justifies to some why cyclists are fair game and shouldn't be on the roads