Nasty pothole

AngeG

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 6, 2024
"One objective was to improve transport connections within Europe. For many years, it helped pay for better roads, bridges and causeways in the Highlands and Islands."

"Other parts of the UK have also underspent their allocations, said the article, but with very much lower percentage of unspent funds, at less than 10%. It is not clear where those figures came from."

here is the review
Unclear numbers are always cause for concern.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Unclear numbers are always cause for concern.

"Local road maintenance crisis gets out of control"
https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/local-road-maintenance-crisis-gets-out-of-control

"Why do Tories keep repeating their £2,000 tax smear? Because Brexit convinced them that lying works"

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I hadn't adjusted my new arrangement of headlight beams to be cast further out ahead yet, so didn't spot this deep failed repair of a pothole in time. I've angled the lights up a bit since. My front wheel dropped a few inches into it, jolted my rear 1800LM flasher, rera wheel speed sensor, and right Zefal Cyclop end bar mirror to odd angles. The Zefal Dooback II on the other end of the handlebar was unaffected. No broken spokes. Any deeper and I would have been over the handlebars. This deep but small pothole doesn't look like much, sneaky as well as nasty. I've had to concatenate the vid with another vid because I've hit Vimeo's free account limit, but that pothole is cued (also brightened) for anyone bored enough to watch and be bored further:

(ISO 800, hence grainy... interpolated to 24fps from 30fps to match the earlier video segment, hence slightly jerky, bit grainy 1080P is selectable)

Dark early morning sneaky nasty pohole...

Blurry moment of drop and impact:

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I hadn't adjusted my new arrangement of headlight beams to be cast further out ahead yet, so didn't spot this deep failed repair of a pothole in time. I've angled the lights up a bit since. My front wheel dropped a few inches into it, jolted my rear 1800LM flasher, rera wheel speed sensor, and right Zefal Cyclop end bar mirror to odd angles. The Zefal Dooback II on the other end of the handlebar was unaffected. No broken spokes. Any deeper and I would have been over the handlebars. This deep but small pothole doesn't look like much, sneaky as well as nasty. I've had to concatenate the vid with another vid because I've hit Vimeo's free account limit, but that pothole is cued (also brightened) for anyone bored enough to watch and be bored further:

(ISO 800, hence grainy... interpolated to 24fps from 30fps to match the earlier video segment, hence slightly jerky, bit grainy 1080P is selectable)

Dark early morning sneaky nasty pohole...

View attachment 59214

View attachment 59215

Blurry moment of drop and impact:

View attachment 59216
Bloody hell, that video shows you going over that pothole about 20 times. Your back and kidneys must be done for. Why didn't you start taking a line to avoid it after it already got you 14 times?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Bloody hell, that video shows you going over that pothole about 20 times. Your back and kidneys must be done for. Why didn't you start taking a line to avoid it after it already got you 14 times?
The oscillation you see documented was caused by the automatic action replay pothole triggered bungee system, which had shot an anchor onto a lampost, because my BBS01B can't reverse. Fun requires repetition.

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Pothole damage top concern for drivers, says RAC

"The condition and maintenance of roads was the top issue for almost six in 10 people for the first time recorded in research by the RAC, ahead of insurance costs and fuel prices.

Punctures, wheel damage and broken suspension springs were the most common damage caused by potholes that was reported in the past 12 months, costing drivers on average £460.

However, claiming for compensation can prove time-consuming and costly."

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
No broken spokes.
Aaarrgghh! Two spokes on the rear wheel were knocked loose! Tightened them by hand for now, I'll see if the wheel can still true, and if those spoke nipples can't be tightened sufficiently because of damaged threads, I'll have to replace them. Certainly hope I don't have to replace the spokes too. I hate potholes. They're freaking everywhere, and there's even more of the blasted things than last year on the same routes. I'll make a claim for mental distress.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
:oops: What diameter wheels does my bike need to safely ride over that widowmaker? Will need to lengthen the frame, make it octofolding or something, and buy much wider mudguards for 5ft wide tyres. Perhaps I should carry small jump ramps in my ruckack to chuck out in front, unlock speed and jump over such large and deep potholes? An automated jump ramp deployment and pick up system on the bike fore and aft, could be more accurate of course. An array of fast inflated helium balloons could float me over? A pothole recognition system could fire a water cannon to rapidly fill the pothole, then shoot liquid nitrogen in to freeze it solid? Or twin telescopic tubes either side, which extend to about 10ft forward ahead of the bike, lowering so my bike can safely pole vault over? I fear at this rate of road surface deterioration, 20" wheels with 1.75" Marathon Plus and no suspension, mightn't cut it for much longer. I hate potholes.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I think that is a Gotcha photo.

Its evidence that the reason why we don't see workers repairing pot-holes anymore is because they have dug underground caves and gone into hiding. The photo looks like one of the workers was spotted emerging from such a hiding place, maybe to pop to Tescos for a snack or register as un-employed.

• :D
Reactions: guerney